Mens Tennis Forums banner

Quick Questions Thread

372K views 3K replies 580 participants last post by  umbrellapub 
#1 ·
I think there could be a thread for questions that don't need an own thread. If one already exist, please merge this with it.

Anyway, my question is what is the biggest difference between indoor and outdoor tennis. Naturally there's no wind indoors. And why indoor courts are considered to be faster and how does closing the roof affects at Wimbledon?

Reactions: Motoflou
#2 ·
Re: S.Q.T. (stupid question thread)

It's not a stupid question. Conditions are different indoors and affect the ball and players differently. Someone can go further and explain more.

For example indoor Wimbledon is not the same conditions as indoor Bercy or Melbourne.

#3 ·

No wind = less friction for the ball to travel or switch direction. Thus, u have to rely on ur tennis skills (yes, real tennis skills, no moonballing included) to win matches.

Humidity plays an important role on that too.

besides, when roof is closed, your prayers cant reach God that fast, so its only you in course, nobody else :)

#5 ·

Thus, u have to rely on ur tennis skills (yes, real tennis skills, no moonballing included) to win matches.
:haha:

#4 · (Edited)

One of the biggest differences is that indoor courts have a more true bounce. Many outdoor courts are a bit uneven/imperfect due to weather and simply getting a lot of wear and tear and sometimes poor maintenance.

Indoor courts on the other hand are more protected and it's easier to keep both the actual surface and the lines in perfect condition.

This also favors a skilled player as you can play with smaller margins.

I also want to add that just because you put a roof over Wimbledons CC doesn't mean it's a real indoor court. It's somewhere inbetween. It's an outdoor court with a roof over and practically indoor conditions in terms of no wind, different humidity etc but not true indoor because then everything should be adapted to only be played indoors.

#18 · (Edited)

SQ #2...Why the scoring in a game is 15/30/40 and how it was created?
I can't remember the source but I remember reading somewhere that in the beginning they used to score matches using an analog clock. So the scored went 0..15..30..45..60(game). Soon they realized that they needed to make it so that a player can't win a game with just a one point difference and the scoring was modified to 0..15..30..40.(50).60(game). Later people started calling 40 all as deuce and 50 as adv.

#9 ·

SQ# 3: What roof closes faster: Rod Laver Arena or Wimbledon's Center Court?
AO's final had a break because they had to close the roof, and it didn't last extremely long. Of course they don't have the dew problem as it's hardcourt, but IIRC the roof closed faster than at Wimby.

#12 ·

Thanks HC and August.

SQ # 4: Why is getting roofs for all major slam courts (3 show courts in every slam) not possible considering the organizations that rule each slam have plenty of money? Shouldn't it have been done by now?
Say you had tons of money and each year you went to Hawaii for two weeks, do you buy a home in Hawaii or do you rent a super nice one each year and hope it is available the next year?

#13 ·

SQ # 5: Why did they build Wimbledon next to a residential area?

or

SQ # 5: Why did the residential area get built next to Wimbledon

which ever one applies:p

#31 ·

SQ # 5: Why did they build Wimbledon next to a residential area?

or

SQ # 5: Why did the residential area get built next to Wimbledon

which ever one applies:p
Wimbledon moved to its current location in 1922 so I think they just underestimated back then how popular the event would become. Personally, I think the AELTC should strike a deal with Wimbledon Club (on the other side of the road) and use their ground for tournament matches.

#26 ·

Yet one more question about roofs, how long it takes at Halle to continue playing? Wikipedia says roof takes 88 seconds to get closed but does it take more time before play can continue? Anyway, it takes less time than at Wimbledon, but why? I don't believe the explanation of Wimbledon's bigger Centre Court as CC has 15,000 seats and Gerry Weber Stadion has 12,300, so Gerry Weber Stadion is also a big arena. Might Halle's arena be less indoor-like than Wimby's CC when the roof is closed? This is the best pic of Halle's roof I've found:

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/26889144?source=wapi&referrer=kh.google.com

#28 ·

SQ #6: is the problem with condensation or whatever on hardcourt if you use covers during rain delays seriously worse than all the water they have to squeegee off after a downpour? I can't believe that covers wouldn't at least save an extra step, even though you couldn't go back to playing immediately. :confused:

#30 ·

SQ #6: is the problem with condensation or whatever on hardcourt if you use covers during rain delays seriously worse than all the water they have to squeegee off after a downpour? I can't believe that covers wouldn't at least save an extra step, even though you couldn't go back to playing immediately. :confused:
Combine covers with fans and good drainage and I think you would reduce time wasting a lot.

#39 ·

SQ # 7: When there is an indefinite interruption during a match due to rain, are new balls brought in once the match resumes or do they resume with the old balls (considering there are still legit games to be played with them)?
They use the old balls.

#36 ·

Stupid question #8: Is Andy Murray a good player?
Wrong thread. This is a critical and not a stupid question.

Grips- where can i buy them?????
Wrong forum. This question is not about the players. Please. This is GM.

#121 ·

Grips- where can i buy them?????
:lol:
Obviously Roger The Dodger hasn't been aroung MTF long enough to understand the joke. :p

Reactions: mreccentric
#43 ·

Why is the Australian Open the only one where there's no delays?

And people say the AO's a useless Slam.....
The new slow, high bounce surface is a joke. It makes for boring tennis, like the 6 hour moonballing, ass picking, ball bouncing, time wasting snooze fest.

I loved AO when people playing attacking tennis could actually win.

#47 ·

Do rackets have to comply to a certain standard?

Can you make the handle longer for greater reach (while compromising control) or make it shorter for less shanking (compromising reach) or can you make the head bigger for a larger hitting spot (compromising weight)?

#48 ·

SQ # 8: Do rackets have to comply to a certain standard?

Can you make the handle longer for greater reach (while compromising control) or make it shorter for less shanking (compromising reach) or can you make the head bigger for a larger hitting spot (compromising weight)?
I believe there is a standard that no one can surpass - like an upper limit and lower limit for each factor. But players find the most comfortable range for themselves within it. For instance, Nadal's racket is considered to have a much bigger frame than Novak's or Federer's. But this is not visible to the naked eye.

#50 ·
#52 ·
#54 ·

1. When a player challenges a call, using hawkeye, does he still have a certain amount of time to change his mind or wave off the challenge? Can he wave it off immediately or can he wait until the video starts playing on screen then wave it off?

2. When a ball is hit way out of bounds (i) into the stands, are the spectators obligated to throw it back or can they keep the ball? or if (ii) from an outer court if a player hits it over to another court, does a ballboy have to look for it or do they keep playing with one less ball?

#56 ·

1. When a player challenges a call, using hawkeye, does he still have a certain amount of time to change his mind or wave off the challenge? Can he wave it off immediately or can he wait until the video starts playing on screen then wave it off?
I have seen a player challenge then immediately take it back and that was allowed. Don't know if there is a specific time deadline for cancelling a challenge though. Probably up to the umpire to decide.

2. When a ball is hit way out of bounds (i) into the stands, are the spectators obligated to throw it back or can they keep the ball? or if (ii) from an outer court if a player hits it over to another court, does a ballboy have to look for it or do they keep playing with one less ball?
Before, the spectators were indeed obligated to throw back the ball to the ballkids. But I heard the rules have been changed on that and they are now allowed to keep it. And yes, the play continues with one less ball.

#57 ·

About Bozo : Roddick hit almost 50 aces in the final of Wimbledon against Federer if I remember well in 2009.

About the 15/30/40, there are some different theories. Would be hard for me to explain it in english, but it could be related to the monetary system used at the time of the "jeu de paume".

#62 ·

About Bozo : Roddick hit almost 50 aces in the final of Wimbledon against Federer if I remember well in 2009.

About the 15/30/40, there are some different theories. Would be hard for me to explain it in english, but it could be related to the monetary system used at the time of the "jeu de paume".
Lol Federer actually served 50 aces in the final. Roddic hit 27.

Player A hits his first serve. If Player B hits a screaming fast crosscourt return, so much so that Player A cannot even react and is stuck in the middle of the court, can Player A then challenge his own first serve?
Player A didn't (or couldn't) make a motion towards the return, so can it be argued that he stopped play after his serve – and get a replay or a second serve?
Player A can challenge. I know there's a video of Roddick successfully doing it somewhere on Youtube (against Monfils?)
Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JDWxn6q-zc Not exactly your scenario.