Mens Tennis Forums banner

Quick Questions Thread

372K views 3K replies 580 participants last post by  umbrellapub 
#1 ·
I think there could be a thread for questions that don't need an own thread. If one already exist, please merge this with it.

Anyway, my question is what is the biggest difference between indoor and outdoor tennis. Naturally there's no wind indoors. And why indoor courts are considered to be faster and how does closing the roof affects at Wimbledon?

Reactions: Motoflou
#334 ·
Watch past Davis Cup Match (Switzerland vs Czech Republic)?

Hello,

Does anyone know where I can watch past Davis Cup matches. The one I want to see is the the 7 hour doubles match between Switzerland and Czech Republic from February 2nd. Specifically, I want to re-watch the last set.

Are there any places where I can watch this? I would gladly pay for access to this past tennis match. I really want to see the whole last set, not just the highlights. Perhaps it is not online yet, but will come online? In that case, where?

The reason I ask is because I was ballgirl during this last set. It was really a wonderful, once in a lifetime experience and I really want to see the match somewhere and possibly save it as it's an experience that I'll want to remember for the rest of my life.

Any help on where I can find this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!!

#336 ·
Re: S.Q.T. (stupid question thread)

Does the Rolex clock at ATP website show wrong for some cities for you? It shows Rotterdam correctly for me but it shows San Jose is 12:56. Shouldn't it be 10:56?

#337 ·
I feel really stupid but I have to ask.

Am I the only one who thought that Nicolas Massu had retired like a decade ago? :tape:

The guy never stopped playing challengers and just played the VTR Open.

Am I THAT Clueless?

Reactions: arm
#340 ·
Re: I feel really stupid but I have to ask.

Am I the only one who thought that Nicolas Massu had retired like a decade ago? :tape:

The guy never stopped playing challengers and just played the VTR Open.

Am I THAT Clueless?
Similar stuff happens to me all the time. :lol: I just choose not to create a thread on GM about it because I would rather not be insulted or have my ego hurt. :lol: :hug: no need to feel bad about this. ;)

#338 ·

Honestly, asking this kind of question in GM? You do know what douchebags post here, mate? Prepare to get insulted.

On topic, well I understand why you thought he was retired. No biggie imo.

#341 ·

It's okay to feel stupid, but we have a thread for that (see S.Q.T. thread in the sticky threads) :)

#343 ·

maybe a little bit dumb. people talk about Massu enough to know that he's still AROUND, ironically I find every now and then it's pretty common for people to bring up "Massu is still playing but why!?" because he preforms in so few tournaments and at such mediocre standards

if you have become more casual with keeping up with tennis it makes sense to have think he retired though. he might as well have if considering his results

#353 ·

Does anyone happen to know who the highest ever ranked player to never win an ATP-level event is? Currently it's Jerzy Janowicz I think (with a career high of 25).

#354 ·

Does anyone happen to know who the highest ever ranked player to never win an ATP-level event is? Currently it's Jerzy Janowicz I think (with a career high of 25).
I don't know about the highest ever ranked player who have never win a title.

But, I think that Marcos Baghdatis is the player who have reached the highest ranking at number 8 without a title. He actually won Beijing 2 or 3 weeks after.

Cedric Pioline reached the number 9 ranking in January 1994, he won his first title 2 years later in 1996.

#361 ·

always have been wondering, but never asked...

Why is it called 4th round and not Round of 16 ? :)
Same reason why R3 isn't officially called Round of 32 and R2 isn't called Round of 64, I guess.
The main reason, I would imagine, is it only makes sense to start mentioning how many players are left when they are a small(ish) number.

#363 ·

well in serbian its: 'Osmina finala' which is basically 1/16 finals.
I probably don't know how it goes in english, if you start counting backwards: finals > semi-finals(1/4finals) > quarter finals(1/4 finals).... and then? 1/16 finals = ?

Maybe the word I'm missing was my initial question instead of giving an example like 'Round of 64'.

At least its good to know, with the question like this, I'm definitely at the right place :)

#366 ·

I have a question I've been pondering for a while.

Why don't the finalists' teams sit in the same box anymore during the Wimbledon final. I know this used to happen, Wimbledon 2008 for example. Has it always been like that? or was that just 2008 and if so, why'd they stop making them sit together?