Mens Tennis Forums banner

Quick Questions Thread

372K views 3K replies 580 participants last post by  umbrellapub 
#1 ·
I think there could be a thread for questions that don't need an own thread. If one already exist, please merge this with it.

Anyway, my question is what is the biggest difference between indoor and outdoor tennis. Naturally there's no wind indoors. And why indoor courts are considered to be faster and how does closing the roof affects at Wimbledon?

Reactions: Motoflou
#460 ·
Re: S.Q.T. (stupid question thread)

WWWhat does WWW stand for in thread titles

#461 ·

"Who will win"

#462 ·

Has the Wimbledon schedule of play been released yet?

#467 ·

Something I was wondering about recently...what places are players allowed to play for? Because sometimes players seem to represent places that aren't actually countries, e.g. Puerto Rico. Who decides what territories get to be separate, is it the ITF, individual countries, something else? :confused: Could a player represent a nonexistent country if they convinced the right people to let them?

#470 ·

Something I was wondering about recently...what places are players allowed to play for? Because sometimes players seem to represent places that aren't actually countries, e.g. Puerto Rico. Who decides what territories get to be separate, is it the ITF, individual countries, something else? :confused: Could a player represent a nonexistent country if they convinced the right people to let them?
I think you can represent an area with a an own tennis federation, just like there are four football associations and national teams for UK in football. Then again, I don't know who decides which areas can have a national tennis federation.

Also, in Olympics you can't necessarily represent your area unless it has a national Olympic committee. That's why there was Team GB in the Olympic football unlike in other football tournaments.

#471 ·

S.Q. about wheelchair tennis. Why does Wimbledon have only doubles unlike other slams that have also singles?

#473 ·

As far as I know, he only came back for this one tournament to play doubles with Hewitt

#479 ·

Sorry if this has been asked before. I haven't read the whole thread.

I know players aren't going to eat a big meal directly before a big match, but I'm sure they need to an hour or two ahead of time.

How do they prepare when they end up waiting several hours longer than scheduled because of longer than expected matches and/or rain delays?

They need enough fuel to get through a possible 3+ hour match.

#480 ·

Anyone know what will be on thursday? Is it mens and womens' semis or just womens or just mens? I have that day off and I'm hoping its not just women's all day.

#481 ·
#486 ·

The scoreboard in Wimbledon showing the serve speed in mph instead of kmph.

Metric system is not used in England or is it just another rule about tradition in this tournament?
We very half-heartedly started to convert then stopped halfway. Road signs are still in miles. Our cars show mph, kph means very little to us.

And yet, petrol is sold in litres :)

#492 ·

what's thi t3nnis.tv I read every day about?

#493 ·

What's so special about Di Mauro?

#494 ·
#495 ·

It would be really helpful for me if someone know these stuff ...

1. When I sign up for the IPIN, how many days are necessary to obtain my IPIN (for male players)?

2. How much costs IPIN for male tennis players and what are ALL paying methods?

3. How the prize money of the specific tournament is payoff to the player, do they need to have account in a bank or it is payed in cash?

#496 ·

S.Q

#1 Can the umpire take a bathroom break?
#2 What's the biggest rankings jump a player has made in one season?
#3 In the top 100 which players hit the flattest? (Berdych and Cilic come to mind.)

#498 · (Edited)

#3 In the top 100 which players hit the flattest? (Berdych and Cilic come to mind.)
there's a thread about it, search for 'flat' or 'flatter' in threads titles

- People talking about the 2012 Wimbledon Final, and that the roof closing helped Federer? Why is this? Why is Federer better indoors?
surface plays faster so it favours Federer's game

#497 ·

- People talking about the 2012 Wimbledon Final, and that the roof closing helped Federer? Why is this? Why is Federer better indoors?

- Why do line judges not catch the ball when it's going directly at them? They wouldn't have to move their feet but they do mad stretches trying to get out of the way

#499 ·

- Why do line judges not catch the ball when it's going directly at them? They wouldn't have to move their feet but they do mad stretches trying to get out of the way
Probably because you can hurt your fingers if you're off on the timing trying to catch the ball. But I've seen linesmen catching balls coming at them and then giving them to ballboys.

#501 ·

What exactly is a 0 pointer, and what impact could it have on a players ranking?
A 0 pointer is a result you can't replace with a better one, and it's given either for playing too few tournaments or for late withdrawals from them for insufficient reason. We can see the effect on Federer's ranking. He didn't play the obligatory four ATP500s last year, and so got a zero-pointer attached to his ranking. This was placed in Tokyo because that is where he would have to play (at the latest) to fulfill the obligation. After playing Hamburg, as he's going to next week, he will have four ATP500s the last 12 months, but he still has to count a zero for Tokyo until October.