Mens Tennis Forums banner

Davis Cup 2010: Vamos Franciaaaaaa...

45K views 523 replies 55 participants last post by  soulage 
#1 · (Edited)
After a nice wekeend against Netherlands, France will play in 2010 in the World Group. :)
For people who are interested (or not busy at work ;) ) the DC ties is stream on the DC radio:
http://www.daviscup.com/news/radiopopup.asp

Edit: So France will be play Germany and they will play at home!!!

The draw of this 2010 is:
Spain vs Switzerland
France vs Germany

Russia vs India
Sweden vs Argentina

Croatia vs Ecuador
Serbia vs USA

Chili vs Israel
Belgium vs Czech Republic

France could face worse ;)

See less See more
#106 ·
Re: Davis Cup 2010: France against Germany

thanks Keijan, can't wait to see your pics!

#107 ·

First and most importantly, what has Gilles done to his hair I missed the matches today. With Richard and Gilles sat together I'm not sure I would have managed to watch any tennis at all ;)

Am loving the team spirit this time sounds great. Glad you had a good day Marion. Hopefully they will get it sewn up tomorrow. Are you there all weekend?

#110 ·

I have no idea how to link to the photos on the DC site (they come up as a slideshow thingy) but there is a terrible one of Gilles and Richard. How they managed to take such a hideous picture is beyond me ;)

#113 ·

Thanks for the report, I thought of you when Gilles gave Gaël a big cuddle, you really got to see the extra-long version!

I find all the praise about Gaël tonight exaggerated, they certainly feel a little bit forced to do it because of the whole Acapulco withdrawal story and because he's so unsecure, but I thought he did a good job. It's the way he plays, big serve, big defense (incl. pushing), and he did both things well.

The Germans were surprised the crowd was so quiet, they were expecting it to be a bit louder. But they always seem to think that French fans are raving mad.

#115 · (Edited)

Yes it is exaggerated, I've seen him play far better matches than this one, but it wasn't a catastrophe or anything. Though I would have liked to see a bit more aggressiveness and serve & volley, even completely ratés ones :lol: but like I said I was more petrified with the implications of what if he loses etc, so I didn't appreciate fully his game.

I sorted out a few pics of today, mostly group ones, I didn't have the courage to go through the individual and playing ones yet. I'll post those later.

Please do not repost them, or use them without asking me, or cut the sign, or claim them as yours, like it has been done before. I'm sorry to be annoying, but even though they're far from being quality stuff, I put a lot of efforts into them and I want it to be respected.

Gaël's match (Tsonga wasn't there)

Jo's match, where they all took great care to sit next to each other and behind Jo's chair to make my work easier, thanks a lot guys ;)
Gaël was *always* eating, during the 2:30+ hours that Jo's match lasted :

When Gaël came back from a break in the locker rooms, with a third (!!) sandwich for him and a bottle with a blue liquid in it for Gilles :

And the Famous Hug from behind :

I have a few pics where they just stand like that with everyone passing by and shadowing around them for at least 20 seconds, very cute !

#116 ·

thanks for the posts about what it was like watching the ties live, and also for the pics, it's always really nice seeing fellow tennis players supporting each other, even if it was probably expected in this circumstance. and eh, with the level of aesthetic pleasantries on display on the french team bench, i wouldn't blame anyone for feeling torn where to concentrate...hehehe!!!

i was really surprised that our paytv was showing the france v germany matches this weekend - they're not even airing the local australia v taiwan tie at all. i guess someone on foxtel has some taste...:) but i felt it was a little bit subdued, perhaps it was because of that the camera kept on panning over to the french team bench - capturing the ever chattering simon, and llodra making jokes. they kept on talking about richie a lot too, and closing up on him...he always looks a little nervous when he's not playing on the court but being filmed...it's actually quite endearing!

looking forward to hearing more about the tie as it progresses :)

#118 ·

:worship: Awesome, thank you both so much!
I just noticed they have highlights on the DC website, but not of this tie, I was getting desperate. :p

Richard always looks like the quiet one when the guys are together, but when I was sitting next to him once in Hamburg, he was talking non-stop too! He can be quite a chatterbox himself. But of course it's not easy to get a word in when Gilles Simon is around.

#120 ·

great pics and report! thank you :bigclap:
allez les bleus for the doubles! please post pics of bennet and llodra, too. And llodra's son if he's around, he's adorable :lol:

#121 ·

Gael, put away your mobile, otherwise L'Equipe will doubt your commitment tomorrow :lol:

#126 ·

I meant for Richard's benefit. ;)
I know!;)

And Gilles talkative as ever. :rolls:

The score is a little flatttery for the French team. After a poor start the Germans played well, but got no reward.

#127 ·

I havent seen Richie and Gael, did they leave?

#130 · (Edited)

Kohlschreiber and volleys. :help:

Edit: Momentum change and as usual French crowds getting silent when things get rough. I 'll never get that!:rolleyes:

Edit 2: The Frenchies got it done in the end. I found Benneteau was playing really well and Kohli ws the weakest of the four, one or the other spectacular winner does not change that, his volleying was poor throughout.

#131 · (Edited)

I am back :) So it was awesome, we were so happy with the result. Bennet and Mika were on fire during the first set, it didn't look like it was going to be a real match and we felt bad for the German team. Then the German stepped it up, the French team began to miss, and as always it goes very fast in one way or the other in doubles the third set was gone. But it was all the time great quality tennis, doubles are so enjoyable to watch. Mika was impressive and Julien made some absolutely fantastic shots, if he could play like this on a regular basis and in singles, no doubt imo that he would rise up to top 20 permanently.

He was getting all fired-up in the end, asking the crowd for help, I was a bit afraid that he was starting to lose his focus -but daddy Mika was there to hold him down ;) and the joy when they won was priceless.

A cute moment too was when Mika missed a volley for a few millimeters and it ended in the net, and Julien who was close to it jumped to help the ball go on the other side of the net. But it didn't work and he was all pouting :lol:

They make a great double team, really. Mika was strong all the time, except during one or two serve games towards the end, and helped Julien through his less-good moments like a good partner. I know I regularly say that Mika should be kicked off the team so the young guns more deserving can play -but to be honest, he's the best, strongest and most experienced double player that we have, regardless of the rankings. I think that he should keep playing as long as we don't have a real double team around. If only Jo and Richard could play together more often, or maybe Richard and Julien, as I can't see Gilles or Gaël able to win a double match in less than 10 years of practice :lol:

I'm sorry this is a lot of unorganized rambling.
About the guys on the bench, Gilles was chatting to anyone close enough to hear him, commenting every shots or god knows what :rolls: Gaël disappeared for a good half of the doubles. When he came back, Gilles gave him another big hug, patting on the shoulder and neck, messing with his hair and grinning like they hadn't seen each other in three years :lol: It's such a shame that both of them just can't play doubles, not mentionning together, because the getting along part would be perfect. From where I was I couldn't see Richard well because he was hidden by the umpire chair, but towards the end he was getting a lot into the match, standing up and cheering after every points, etc. Jo was the most into it, he was singing along with the fans, very nice to see.

Oh, another thing is that when we arrived at 1:30pm, Gilles and Richard were practicing together on another court without seats. I took a few pics from the window, I'll post them on their forums when I can.

The best part was the end, as usual : the team of 4 and Forget got on the court with the flag, and everyone began to cheer for them, but Mika dragged Gilles by the wrist to get him to come with them (Gilles didn't want to at first and was trying to hold back) and Gaël did the same with Richard, so they were the 7 of them dancing with the flag. I can't help but being very optimistic about our chances this year because of this great team spirit :)

Pics to come when I sort them out, but they won't be as good as my first ones because I had a much worse seat.

ps : thanks everyone for the good reps on my reports and pics posts, if you like them I will try to do one more tomorrow.

#132 ·

Yes Kohli has been poor this week-end and some great backhands didn't change his quite poor level of play.
For me the best thing of that WE has been the team spirit it's a long time we haven't seen that. Everything was clear for this tie we'll see for the next one if there are some players who can pretend for the spots maybe some deceptions could change the spirit. Bennet/Llodra has been OK so it could be the team. The other good thing is the choice of surface and the place I mean playing the spaniards on clay would have been awful but outdoor harcourt we have al our chances. It's after Wimbledon or i'm wrong ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.