Comparison of Michael Russell and Ruben Ramirez Hidalgo - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-12-2013, 05:31 AM   #1
country flag n8

n8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Comparison of Michael Russell and Ruben Ramirez Hidalgo

I thought a comparison of two lower ranked players would be a welcome switch up.

The reason I picked these two is that their careers are remarkably similar. Both are 35 (and excluding Haas, the oldest players in top 120), turned pro in 1998 and have spent the majority of their careers on the Challenger circuit. The key contrast lies in Russell's preference for hard and RRH's for clay (I was going to mention Russell's versatility but the fun stops there ).
Code:
                       Russell*                                 RRH
Grand Slam record      7-29                                     5-20
Best GS result         4th at RG (all rest 1st and 2nd)         4th at RG (all rest 1st and 2nd)
Tour record            67-132                                   68-130   
Best ATP result        Semi-final (Houston 2012, *)             Semi-final (Casablanca 2007, Vina del Mar 2006)
Challenger record      259-163                                  333-199
CH titles/finals       14/6                                     11/11
Prize money            $2 million                               $2.2 million                                         
Career high            60 (August 2007)                         50 (October 2006)
Career defining moment:
Russell - Led eventual champion Kuerten 2 sets to love and 5-3 in the 4th round of the 2001 Roland Garros and also missed match point.
RRH - Making the 4th round of the 2006 French Open.

*Before Newport 2013. I squeezed this comparison in now because if Russell beats Mahut in the semi-finals, his career will eclipse RRH's in my opinion.

So, this thread doesn't really have much point other than to facilitate discussion about these two warriors while they're still active. Of course, opinions on who has had the better career, play styles, big matches and who you like more are encouraged.

Last edited by n8 : 07-12-2013 at 06:15 AM.
n8 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2013, 05:42 AM   #2
country flag straitup

straitup has a reputation beyond reputestraitup has a reputation beyond reputestraitup has a reputation beyond reputestraitup has a reputation beyond reputestraitup has a reputation beyond reputestraitup has a reputation beyond reputestraitup has a reputation beyond reputestraitup has a reputation beyond reputestraitup has a reputation beyond reputestraitup has a reputation beyond reputestraitup has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Comparison of Michael Russell and Ruben Ramirez Hidalgo

StatRacket, you added an extra 9 to the end of RRH's challenger record I think, but nice find and work.

That match point Mike had against Guga was one of the best I've seen in a crucial situation - Russell ran down everything, showing off his insane speed, before Guga finally finished the point off with a forehand(?) winner. I haven't seen much of RRH except for that match against Fed in Monte Carlo which would've been his defining moment had he not blown a 5-1 lead in the third. Crazy parallels though. I'd of course prefer Iron Mike, but unbiasedly, I don't think there's a ton of guys that put as much work into each match that he does.
straitup is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:18 AM   #3
country flag n8

n8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond reputen8 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by straitup View Post
StatRacket, you added an extra 9 to the end of RRH's challenger record I think, but nice find and work.

That match point Mike had against Guga was one of the best I've seen in a crucial situation - Russell ran down everything, showing off his insane speed, before Guga finally finished the point off with a forehand(?) winner. I haven't seen much of RRH except for that match against Fed in Monte Carlo which would've been his defining moment had he not blown a 5-1 lead in the third. Crazy parallels though. I'd of course prefer Iron Mike, but unbiasedly, I don't think there's a ton of guys that put as much work into each match that he does.
Thanks for seeing that and for the great post.
n8 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:45 AM   #4
country flag CooCooCachoo
MONSOON season.

CooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond reputeCooCooCachoo has a reputation beyond repute

Great post. The statistics nicely back up the similarity of their careers

Bachinger|Brands|Broady|Clezar|Crivoi|Crugnola|Cue vas|Eysseric|Giannessi|Granollers
Grigelis|Huta Galung|Ilhan|Korolev|Kudla|Al. Kuznetsov|Lammer|Mannarino
Menendez|Naso|Paire|Peliwo|Polansky|Robert|Smyczek |J. Sousa|Sweeting

CooCooCachoo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:51 AM   #5
country flag Chris Kuerten

Chris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond reputeChris Kuerten has a reputation beyond repute

Kids should be shown their matches instead of the top players'. People's champions.

Dustin Brown - Fabio Fognini - Gaël Monfils - Jerzy Janowicz - Alexandr Dolgopolov

Ernests Gulbis - Nick Kyrgios - Pablo Cuevas - Taro Daniel - Igor Sijsling - Paolo Lorenzi - Ruben Ramirez Hidalgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by heya View Post
What you talking about Willis?
El Pendejo dice que el número uno no es suficiente pero el buitre de lenders, ferrer, puede ganar 7 tourneos sin mi permiso.
Mi boyfriend federer is goat, no?
Chris Kuerten is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote