• 2013 (31 - 32)

Votes: 67 19.9%
  • 2014 or later (32 - 91)

Votes: 176 52.2%

When will Federer retire?

45K views 538 replies 300 participants last post by  florentine 
#1 ·
Federer lost, should he retire?

I know this is an old joke, but still an appropriate one. Thread dedication to whenever Feds loses (which is early and often) and messes up his streaks which would have gone on forever.

Obviously at this rate he won't make the Hall of Fame, won't be remembered and should remove himself from the tennis court before he's embarrasses himself even more.

:wavey:

#270 ·
He has said it several times that he would like to continue to play until Rio 2016. Of course 4 years is still a good length of time, and he could still get injured in that period especially as he ages, so such events may change his mind. I don't think him not winning slams and dropping out of the top would really kill the mood for him and force him to retire, I mean Federer still seemed to have plenty of enjoyable moments for himself in 2011 despite a rather poor year for his usual standards, so even if similar years come in the future, I doubt it would really hurt his love for the game.

While a bit of a gamble, I will say 2016 is his last. As far what tournament he will end it on, I believe he will finish the year. While Wimbledon and Basel certainly seem quite likely for him to retire at, if he were to play Olympics, obviously that would put Wimbledon out of the question. If he were in the top 8 still at that point, I think he will try to finish the season and retire at the WTF. However, if he wasn't able to get to the WTF, certainly Basel seems much more likely for him to end the season at.

G
#274 ·
It seems Federer genuinely intends to play until after Rio at the current time. However if he has a couple of slam-less years, which is likely, and falls off badly in 2014 then he could retire at the end of that season or at Wimbledon 2015. It's unlikely he will stay around if the top guys are humiliating him and he has no chance in the slams.

#279 ·
Dec/2013.

#281 ·
The Evil one will fall.

#282 ·
But when will Dull fall? :wavey:

#284 ·
:woohoo: Make room for Tuna Altuna! (the new GOAT) :armed:

#285 ·
But he did look horrible in Shanghai, spraying the serve all over the place, poor footwork, and overall he seemed quite disinterested. I wonder if those kinds of matches will creep up on him more often than not in the years coming up.

#291 · (Edited)

Roger Federer has said that he highly values the longevity records of the great players of the past and enjoys playing tennis even if not winning all the time. So it would not surprise me to see him play till age 40-45 (2021-2026), barring severe injury or family issues, similar to Gonzales, Connors, and Rosewall.

Federer's already achieved his main goals for this year and returned to world #1 to set another record. Now he has been #1 for a total of over 300 weeks thanks to his close friend Stanford.

But Roger's long range plan is to outlast the current best players so he can win slams at the expense of next generation stars such as Tomic, Young, Harrison, Dimitrov, etc.

It's not too difficult to see Roger winning many more majors once Mr. Djokovic and Mr. Murray are out of the way in 5 or 6 years due to normal decline or retirement.

Sr. Nadal will unfortunately have departed to greener pastures sooner. Go to 10:00 of the video to see Nadal's preparation for hitting a nice tee shot.

I also predict that there will be an effort supported by Federer to get the Australian Open moved indoors due to extreme heat and the hole in the Antarctic ozone layer causing increased rates of melanoma and other UV skin damage in Australia. The AO is building 8 new indoor courts and a roof over Margaret Court Arena in addition to the existing roofed Rod Laver and Hisense which should be ready by 2015.

Considering all of these factors, expect 3 or more AO titles from Federer in the controlled indoor environment. He should also be able to get 3 or 4 Wimbledons due to the rainy London weather, 2 or 3 Roland Garros titles (I expect the French will change it to blue clay when Rafa retires) and a US Open or two, once Murray and Djokovic hang up their shoes. Rod Laver won the Grand Slam in 1969 as a professional at age 30. So Federer should win at least one between ages 36-40.

Not that it means as much, but he'll also have an excellent chance to pass Connor's 109 titles record. We're seeing that he can still win 6-8 titles/year while Djokovic and Murray are at their peak. Playing 9-14 years longer means he will only need to average somewhere between 2 and 4 titles/year to achieve that.

He is likely to finally retire once his name has been associated with almost all men's singles tennis records and he has named an heir-apparent to his throne.

Belgian teen sensation David Goffin is the leading candidate...

He has all the necessary requirements - talent, style of play, racquet company, European, and has shown proper deference to Federer, which will be transformed to a proper aura of superiority (some mistake this quality as arrogance) once he has ascended. He has a similar size and body type to John McEnroe and only needs to work on beefing up his body from a slight 150 pounds (68 kilos) to a stronger 165 pounds (75 kilos).

;)

Respectfully,
masterclass

#292 ·

Roger Federer has said that he highly values the longevity records of the great players of the past and enjoys playing tennis even if not winning all the time. So it would not surprise me to see him play till age 40-45 (2021-2026), barring severe injury or family issues, similar to Gonzales, Connors, and Rosewall.

Federer's already achieved his main goals for this year and returned to world #1 to set another record. Now he has been #1 for a total of over 300 weeks thanks to his close friend Stanford.

But Roger's long range plan is to outlast the current best players so he can win slams at the expense of next generation stars such as Tomic, Young, Harrison, Dimitrov, etc.

It's not too difficult to see Roger winning many more majors once Mr. Djokovic and Mr. Murray are out of the way in 5 or 6 years due to normal decline or retirement.

Sr. Nadal will unfortunately have departed to greener pastures sooner. Go to 10:00 of the video to see Nadal's preparation for hitting a nice tee shot.

I also predict that there will be an effort supported by Federer to get the Australian Open moved indoors due to extreme heat and the hole in the Antarctic ozone layer causing increased rates of melanoma and other UV skin damage in Australia. The AO is building 8 new indoor courts and a roof over Margaret Court Arena in addition to the existing roofed Rod Laver and Hisense which should be ready by 2015.

Considering all of these factors, expect 3 or more AO titles from Federer in the controlled indoor environment. He should also be able to get 3 or 4 Wimbledons due to the rainy London weather, 2 or 3 Roland Garros titles (I expect the French will change it to blue clay when Rafa retires) and a US Open or two, once Murray and Djokovic hang up their shoes. Rod Laver won the Grand Slam in 1969 as a professional at age 30. So Federer should win at least one between ages 36-40.

Not that it means as much, but he'll also have an excellent chance to pass Connor's 109 titles record. We're seeing that he can still win 6-8 titles/year while Djokovic and Murray are at their peak. Playing 9-14 years longer means he will only need to average somewhere between 2 and 4 titles/year to achieve that.

He is likely to finally retire once his name has been associated with almost all men's singles tennis records and he has named an heir-apparent to his throne.

Belgian teen sensation David Goffin is the leading candidate...

He has all the necessary requirements - talent, style of play, racquet company, European, and has shown proper deference to Federer, which will be transformed to a proper aura of superiority (some mistake this quality as arrogance) once he has ascended. He has a similar size and body type to John McEnroe and only needs to work on beefing up his body from a slight 150 pounds (68 kilos) to a stronger 165 pounds (75 kilos).

;)

Respectfully,
masterclass
Federer will rise.

#296 ·
For the first time in a long while, I'd be at peace with him retiring. TBH I'd rather see him retire at the top of the game than after falling out of the top 10, or even 20..

#301 ·
During Ragnarok. He will have a death battle with the Great Serpent Nadull, whose ass is so big it spreads through the seas and circles the earth to reach for his hand.

#310 ·
Federer said today that he will play as many more years as possible. He said 2-5 more years.
Really strange numbers.

Guess he'll play one/two more years and then take it from there. If he's still winning some tournaments and in the top 8 he may then play a couple more years until he Olympics. If however the next 2 years are rough and he drops down in the rankings and doesn't win his share of tournaments I guess he may call it a day before 2016 and the Olympics.

That's my assessment of his statement.

#315 ·
All i care is how many years he will be competitive and challenging for slams. I say 31, 32 at a minimum which takes us into august 2014 when fed will turn 33.

- Very little will change in fed's game between 31-33 other than he can now skip tournaments and pick at his choosing without penalities.

- Except ALOT to change negatively in murray, nole, and nadal's game in the next 2 years esp. with injuries and losing their mov't and being less physically imposing.

-Fed best chances will be wimby and now with stupid saturday gone... us open.
-Though if fed gets to semis at aussie which he has since 2004-2012 which is sick... he'll always just be 1 match from the finals and although he can't beat nole, nadal, or mugray on that slow court... he always has a shot especially if its mugray trying to beat fed in a slam or if fed goes vintage mode for a match.

P.S. lets not forget fed will likely have #2 seed and if he draws nadal in his half who will be rusty as hell and unlikely to make semis... fed will have a shot to get to the finals in 2013 AO.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.