Mens Tennis Forums banner

Who is going to be World Number 1,come the end of 2012 ?

• Andy Murray

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Robin Soderling

• Jo Wilfred Tsonga

• Others(Kindly Mention)

Who is going to be Next Word Number 1,come the end of 2012 ?

2K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  Shinoj 
#1 ·
Novak Djokovic

After a stellar 2011, which ranked amongst one of the Best seasons ever, Djokovic would have heightened expectations off him. He has a lot of titles and points to defend plus the added pressure of being the Number 1 target of the players. Can he do it?

Flipside :
Pressure and Expectations of starting a season after one of the best seasons in the history.
Injuries and possible Wear out:
He already showed signs of injuries and wear out at the *** end of 2011

Upside:
He is just 24.He is young. He has a well settled coaching group who have all the scientific approach towards sports sorted out.
Barring his injuries noone looks really to take over his reign.

Rafel Nadal Parera:

On the face of it Nadal didnt have a bad 2011 at all. Winning one Grand Slam and 2 other titles and only bettered by Djokovic. He mostly had the better of his major rivals like Federer and Murray.

Flipside:

As it stands he cant win a tournament if Djokovic is in it.
Likes of Federer and Murray have got better of him and that might might suggest a trend
Injuries and Wear out. As he has suffered injuries and at the *** end of 2011 suggested a possible lack of interest.

Upside:
Still the Best 2 player in the World
Had a strong finish in 2011 by winning the Davis Cup

Roger Federer:

He had a quiet season in 2011 but exploded at the end of 2011 being the Clear winner during the Indoor swing of the season. Quite apparently no longer has the legs to compete in most of the tournaments, has done some smart Tournament scheduling for himself.

Flipside:
He is in 30s and would have to struggle a lot in the slug fest with some of his younger rivals like Djokovic,Nadal
When his rivals are on Top Form, Djokovic and Nadal, his chances of winning against them are still questionable.

Upside:
Has still the hunger and motivation required for the year Long Grind.
He is still Federer, one of the Games Best ever, and GOAT for all practical purposes
During the *** end of 2011 he still showed the kids how is it done.

Andy Murray:

Muzza,as he is known for his close fans, had a somewhat disappointing year in 2011. Couldnt satisfy expectations off him. However it could be very attributed to the AO 2011 which he expected to win it himself. But he did have a strong strong finish to the season. Conquered the Asian Swing and gave his longtime nemesis, Nadal, a lesson.

Flipside:
Lingering Doubt over his temperament to be Number 1
When his rivals are in Top Form,Djokovic,Federer and Nadal, Doubts remains whether can he mix up with them at the Top Most Level.

Upside:
Had a very strong end to 2011.
he still remains one of the Best Players ever not to have won a Grand Slam.

Juan Martin Del Potro:

He came back from a serious wrist injury. Had a decent 2011, with winning a title, breaking back in the Top 20. Had some good performances, in the Davis Cup, against Both Serbia and Spain, shows that Del Pony might have a huge 2012 in store

Flipside:
Injury management remains biggest road block. Can he shake it off?
Would he show enough patience to get back in the Elite group. because clearly the game has somewhat move on with the likes of Djokovic,Nadal showing the way

Upside:
Still has the hitting talent that can match up to a Bulldozer,no kidding here.
He is still very very young and if he shows the right attitude and does all the appropriate things regarding his injuries he could be a real handful for the Top 4

David Nalbandian

Nalby, as he is known to his dear fans, had a somewhat disappointing end to 2011 with injuries and his comebacks taking most of the time. However he has got experience over time so it is always a good thing. And with the World Class Talent, rarely has the World seen the hitting talent he has got, coupled with his experience of handling injuries, he might be a formidable force in 2012.

Flip side:
Injuries. He is not getting any younger. And darker than ever clouds linger with each of the new injuries that he get

Upside:
His Talent. Rarely has the world seen a better hitting talent than Nalbandian. When he is on his game few can Stop him.
His strong finish in the Davis Cup shows that he is still very motivated to play the game.

Possible next Candidates Robin Soderling or Jo Wilfred Tsonga

See less See more
#2 ·
I don`t think there will be a brand new #1. I think either Nole or Rafa will take the spot. I can´t see Federer or Murray being Top-1

#16 ·
You could have said the same for Djokovic year ending 2010. And look what has happened now.

unfortunately nalbandian doesnt have the dedication to reach #1, he doesn't play for the ranking.

del potro still hasnt reached his best form, and has shown he can beat novak at a home and take a set off nadal on clay convincingly. i expect him to reach #1 at some point, maybe next year.

murray is consistent but not good enough in the big occasions.
What makes you say that nalbandian doesnt have enough dedication? Do you have any proof?

And regarding Del Potro you maybe right.. He is my Wild Card for the season.

#3 ·
Djokovic. Nadal is over, he will NEVER get over his fear of Djokovic. Nadal's game is disgraceful too. NEVER IN A MILLION YEARS will Rafa be #1 at the end of next year. I picture Djoker as the #1, hell.. I'm even predicting Delpo being #1 before Rafa again, and that is really saying something. Face it.. Rafa is Nole's bitch.

#6 ·
unfortunately nalbandian doesnt have the dedication to reach #1, he doesn't play for the ranking.

del potro still hasnt reached his best form, and has shown he can beat novak at a home and take a set off nadal on clay convincingly. i expect him to reach #1 at some point, maybe next year.

murray is consistent but not good enough in the big occasions.

#9 ·
Djokovic has to be the favorite.
Even playing below his 2011 level he will still rack up points.

Fed did it for years with Nadal taking most of the clay points every year but Djokovic doesn't have this problem and is doing well everywhere against everyone.

2011 Djokovic had a substantial lead on Nadal, 4,000+ points at year end.
Even if Nadal makes some good changes it won't be 4,000 points worth.

There's also DelPo coming back strong hopefully, he can beat Nadal easier than Djokovic, so this is also something to be looked at.

The wildcard is Djokovic's health and not much else can stop him.

#11 ·
Djokovic has to be the favorite.
Even playing below his 2011 level he will still rack up points.

Fed did it for years with Nadal taking most of the clay points every year but Djokovic doesn't have this problem and is doing well everywhere against everyone.

2011 Djokovic had a substantial lead on Nadal, 4,000+ points at year end.
Even if Nadal makes some good changes it won't be 4,000 points worth.

There's also DelPo coming back strong hopefully, he can beat Nadal easier than Djokovic, so this is also something to be looked at.

The wildcard is Djokovic's health and not much else can stop him.
But that means you are also saying Djokovic will defend pretty much all his points. Highly unlike given his reputation and his year-end form. Afterall, he only played a good, 7 months of the entire season, unlike maybe some other seasons, like perhaps Federer where he played well from start to finish in a couple of his seasons. Will be hard to say either way. His case will be much easier to determine after Australia.

#12 ·
Expecting Djokovic, but much closer in 2012 than 2011.

#15 ·
Novak or Rafa. I don't see anybody else being a threat for the year-end #1.

Like Saberq, I'm very surprised not only by this poll, but by comments on other forums about expectations for Roger. More people seem to think that Roger has a shot at #1 than Rafa. I find that extraordinary.

Still, anything can happen in tennis. I'm very excited about the next season.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.