Mens Tennis Forums banner

~*Sydney Cheering Thread*~

5K views 117 replies 19 participants last post by  Mara_M 
#1 · (Edited)
See less See more
#102 ·
Well who cares i think that its great at least he tried and well didnt loose in straight sets :p soooooooooooooo :yeah:

#104 ·
Hey guys! :wavey: I found this interview transcript. It's from Friday when Igor def. Seppi and I thought you might be interested in it. I usually don't visit this board, so I don't konw if it was posted before. :p If you want I can post his interview after the final tomorrow

2006 MEDIBANK INTERNATIONAL
SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA

January 13, 2006

I. ANDREEV/A. Seppi
6-2, 2-6, 6-2

IGOR ANDREEV

THE MODERATOR: Questions for Igor, please.

Q. You played good tennis. Is there a particular reason for that?

IGOR ANDREEV: Well, everybody tries to play good tennis, you know. That's why we are practicing, you know. Well, I think I had good preparation for the season. Like I'm just getting more experience this year, you know, and just try to grow in my game. My first final in the hard court outdoor, and so it's feeling like something new. I'm really happy now that beginning of the year I start really well, you know, because every final is big result, you know, for me. Tomorrow I just have to keep this playing the same way I was during the week and just give hundred percent.

Q. Where did you prepare, in Valencia?

IGOR ANDREEV: Yeah, I practice in Valencia already for seven years. Actually it's going well, and I'm really happy there.

Q. Did you think you would make the final? Is this a bit more expectation than you thought, getting all the way through?

IGOR ANDREEV: Yeah, well, if you look at the draw, you know, before the tournament starts, it's really, really hard. Lot of good players. First match I played against seed No. 4, Gasquet, and actually I was thinking just if I could play well this match. And, you know, it went well. Then with every match you play, you get more confidence in your game. Like the matches were long, so you remember that, how to fight, how to fight for important points. And, you know, if you go out of the court as a winner after the long match, it gives you much more confidence and you just believe more and more in yourself.

Q. You made four finals, was it, last season. You won three.

IGOR ANDREEV: Yeah.

Q. How do you explain that? Obviously, you've gone up. Is it more practice, a certain shot?

IGOR ANDREEV: Well, I don't know, it's different. Sometimes you get in the final, and you like just achieve one thing and just go there and try to enjoy. But sometimes when you go there and try to enjoy, it doesn't work. So you have to go there like for war, you know. You have to fight for every ball and just, you know, take all your chances. That's the only way how you can win. So maybe that was the small but very important thing, you know, that change - try to change.

Q. Has this boosted your expectations now for the Australian Open?

IGOR ANDREEV: Well, I saw the draw and I have really tough match against Spanish guy, Almagro. We played like last year I think three or four times and I think he won twice, I won like one or two times. We have always very long matches, you know. And, well, it will be interesting, you know, to play him five sets. Well, I'm playing well now. The thing that if I could recuperate my power, you know, like if I will feel well physically so I can -- I think I can do well in Australian Open.

Q. The final, can you talk about playing Nikolay, if you happen to play him.

IGOR ANDREEV: Well, they're both really great players. Nikolay is very solid baseline, you know, running for all the balls. I mean, is gonna be really tough, but I think the important thing that I'll have to be more concentrate on my game, you know, and just to try to do well what I can. And then we'll have some -- speak about some tactic with the coach, you know, just prepare some things. Well, hopefully I can do well.

Q. If you play James, what happened against him at the US Open last year? You lost.

IGOR ANDREEV: Yeah, I lost three straight sets. Well, a lot of things happened. Maybe I wasn't playing really, really well. I think he was like playing in the United States, you know, he just want it too much, you know. He played really well. Well, I was -- also I had some problems with the knee, I couldn't maybe move so much really well. But, no, tomorrow is gonna be different game. I think now I'm playing much better, feeling better physically even that I played three sets. But I think it's okay. Tomorrow I'll be hundred percent to give good fight.

Q. With Nikolay, are you surprised what he did last year?

IGOR ANDREEV: Well, I think the result of good work he's doing because he's very hard worker, you know. He's practicing really hard. He was -- I think if you saw him like practice and you saw him every day, you just can believe that he can play really well tennis, you know, and go into the top 10 as he did. I think it's just he has a character. He want to be there. He has game. I mean, he has everything to be top 10 player.

Q. You played doubles with Nikolay; is that right?

IGOR ANDREEV: Yeah.

Q. Do you learn more playing alongside someone than playing across the net from them? Do you think you learn more about their game when you actually play doubles with them?

IGOR ANDREEV: Yeah, well, of course some things you can see how he's doing, like return the serve maybe. Well, but actually it's just couple of things, not too much that you can. But maybe it helps you, you know, just to see the game little bit different, like see some new things that you can also use in your game.

Q. With Marat out for the Open, do you feel a bit more pressure being the second top-ranked Russian?

IGOR ANDREEV: With Marat?

Q. Yeah, with him being out of the Open, do you feel more pressure being the second top-ranked Russian?

IGOR ANDREEV: Well, actually, no, because it's just -- no, you have to concentrate on your game, you know, and just try to do like what you can and just do as good as you can and don't think about all those things that happening around.

Q. Was it hard to keep focused today given the three-hour rain delay?

IGOR ANDREEV: Yeah, yeah. It's hard but, I mean, if you want to win, you have to just forget about all this. Both players are in the same situation so if it's hard for me, so it's hard for him also. So, I mean, I just try to, you know, relax little bit and then after I got on the court, you know, have good warm-up, try to keep my serve; I couldn't. But, I mean, then it worked for the third set, and I was just really happy that I could continue playing and finally win the match.

Q. How did tennis start for you? Was it always tennis or was it ice hockey, was it basketball or something? How did it start?

IGOR ANDREEV: Well, it was tennis. Just start in like one group, you know, for health, like playing twice a week. And then bit by bit I just like it. I was doing not bad. I starting to practice more and had some good results and then like this, it keep going. I'm happy with that.

End of FastScripts….

#105 ·
Thanks i dont have time rite now but i read it laters :)

#107 ·
aww thes nada wrong wit saying you know! I d all the time u know :p and the same with 'like'

#108 ·
:haha::haha::haha:
thanks dana....
omg,another nikname fo igor!hope sandee will not read it,cu i couldn't moke serra anymore for his english:haha::haha:!omg,i'm falling out the seat:lol:!

#109 ·
r_alynutza_86 said:
OMG Miruna...lol...forget "DAVAI DAVAI " 4 Igor..from now on is " U know?". he said it 25 times in a single interview ( if that was the entire interview). And he sais that he doesn't like hip-hop. yeah yeah. just like Eminen sais " know what i mean?" ;) :haha:
unde zice?
and it's the pres conference,cuz it's translated word by word!

#110 ·
Here's the other interview I promised you:

2006 MEDIBANK INTERNATIONAL
SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA

January 14, 2006

J. BLAKE/I. Andreev
6-2, 3-6, 7-6

IGOR ANDREEV

THE MODERATOR: Questions for Igor, please.

Q. You had your chance serving for the match there. How do you feel about the match? What happened?

IGOR ANDREEV: What happened, well, actually nothing. I just -- I think I was doing everything right, right way. But, you know, like first point was he return -- he made a winner. Return to the line, first serve. It's like little strange, no. But he played very well this moment, you know, and like just played really well. Like I couldn't do nothing really. I think I was doing everything right, but sometimes even when you are doing right things it's not working. Well, just well played for him.

Q. How dangerous will James be in Melbourne? How dangerous do you think you'll both be in Melbourne? What chances do you give yourself in Melbourne?

IGOR ANDREEV: Well, I mean, he's playing well first of all. Grand Slam is not only like if you are playing well you gonna win; you have to be very strong mentally, physically, you know, because it's five sets so it's little bit different game. Well, but I think he plays really well (lower?) matches. He plays well in Grand Slams as he showed in US Open, last US Open. He is great player. And I think if he can recover well, you know, like recharge his energy for this time that he will have before Australian, he can do really well there.

Q. You won three tournaments on clay last year, but...

IGOR ANDREEV: Two on clay, and third indoor.

Q. Okay. How have you changed your game to play better on hard court?

IGOR ANDREEV: Well, I mean, little bit of experience, little bit of technic. I mean, before I couldn't move really well on the hard court. I just couldn't get right distance before, like before hitting the ball, so I hit lot of like with the frame. Now I think my footwork is much better so I can control ball much better and I can take my forehand so I can play more aggressive. My return is getting better, you know, especially on hard court because on clay you have more time so you put more returns in. But here the service is much faster, so it's much difficult to return the serve. But I'm thinking I improved very much on this, and now I can, you know -- like the other guy don't win his serve very easy like he did before.

Q. You've had some good wins here this week, a lot of match practice. How would you sum up your week?

IGOR ANDREEV: Yeah, well, was really great week. I'm really happy now to be in the final especially my preparation before the season, I couldn't maybe, you know, work lot of physic because I have some -- I have knee surgery. Like first two weeks were just getting into the practice, you know, just to see little bit how it's gonna respond, the knee. And then, well, last two weeks I tried to like run little bit more, you know, work more on the physic. So here I think was perfect because like the work that I didn't do in the preparation, I done it here, you know, playing the long matches. So it's gonna really help me a lot. And I think, well, now I feel little tired, but I think for future, for next tournament, it's great work and I'm feeling really well now.

Q. Do you do anything special to prepare yourself for the heat in Australia? Kim Clijsters said she spends a lot of time in saunas. Andre Agassi used to run up and down the deserts getting ready for the sun. Coming from Russia...

IGOR ANDREEV: Well, no. Well, preparation I do in Valencia in Spain, so it's not much heat as here but it's still practice in outdoor. Like normally when we did the preseason, we try to run a lot, you know, work a lot on the resistance. And just, you know, here you have to sometimes just forget about it, the heat, and fight, you know. Like even if you are not maybe hundred percent ready, sometimes with the heat the problem is that your head is like doesn't work anymore. So you keep fighting so you can do well.

End of FastScripts….

#111 ·
is press conference dana;)!

#113 ·
i thought press conferences and interviews were same as well :p but then again
here

#114 ·
in the intervew the writer has to write it again and write it in an intelligent way..if that would be an interview the writte had to be fired:lol:!

#115 ·
suzi,igor is blonde:rolleyes:!

#116 ·
thanks for the press conference :D

"You know" is a very Russian thing....Marat does it all the time, we think slower than English speakers do so they win time like that LOL

#117 · (Edited)
its also quite englishy!! trust me my flat mate says it all the time kinda well really ' you know what i mean ' sorta thing

i win time by saying ummmmm...... lol

nada wrong with blondes :p although the dark hair crew rocks :p

#118 ·
:lol:suzi,we rock;)
well,if marat use it,i hear lena use it too,so all the russians do:lol:!so russians are blonde:lol::lol::lol:!(it's not an offence LOL)!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.