Mens Tennis Forums banner

Well it wasn't a new losing technique but it was a good one nonetheless. Bye HC Seaso

25K views 378 replies 31 participants last post by  andymo 
#1 ·
don't feel like being creative :p

Anyway, Andy played worldteamtennis last night and will play one more. He beat Johnny mac.

then the HC season

all i can say is :help: ?

#246 ·
Re: Byebye Top 10, have fun, Andy. (Hardcourt Season)

A win today would do it, however Tsonga and Del Potro, the 2 players ahead of him, are both hurt and likely to miss the USO. Unfortunately that could mean missing a top 8 seed by 1. At least he'll be a top 12 seed no matter what.

#253 ·

Andy is 28-7 in Cincinnati....the most of any active player.
Well, that's okay, I guess. ;)

This was just a popcorn match for me. Now he needs to make the final. Or else. :mad:

#249 ·

Heh. :devil:

A-Rod's rules

Reputable tennis loud mouth Andy Roddick :haha: was at his umpire-berating best at the Cincinnati Masters during his victory over Robin Soderling.

After losing the second set, to lock the match at 1-set all, Roddick fired into one of his famously patronising attacks at the chair umpire in dispute of a Soderling challenge.

The challenge in question turned a Roddick match point into a Soderling set point, which the American went on to lose.

At the change of ends, a heated Roddick hounded the umpire about how long it took Soderling to make his official challenge.

It must be said A-Rod made it clear he did not have a problem with his Swedish opponent, saying Soderling's late challenge was purely because he did not hear the original, faint call by the line judge.

Roddick's problem is a grey area in the rules, which say challenges must be made in a timely fashion instead of a specific time frame.

"Just give me a number, that's all I wanted," Roddick said in his post-match press conference, which he posted on Twitter.

"He [the umpire] ended up saying 10 seconds, and I just had a discussion with some other people from ATP and they said 'until the other guy serves' - that's like 22 seconds."

"Noone knows!"

"What's a timely manner, just give me a definition of that."​

It's hard to take Roddick's argument seriously as he was clearly frustrated after losing a chance to close out the match and delayed Hawkeye challenges have never really been a major issue.

The fireworks may continue with Roddick taking on rival Novak Djokovic, a player with whom he has a touchy history with, in the quarter-finals.

YOU GOTTA LOVE THE GUY: RODDICK THE WARRIOR

Two weeks ago Andy Roddick was mired in the muck of a midsummer slump.

Out in 5 against Yen Hsun Lu (WHO) in the 4th round at Wimbledon!

Lost to an admiditly resurgent Mardy Fish in Atlanta in the semis

Out early in Washington to the Frenchman Simon in straight sets --an ugly loss!

He skips the Masters 1000 in Toronto and finds out after some medical tests that he's been playing with a mild case of Mono!

Well--- I guess a week off is plenty of time to recover to play the Masters - 1000 Event in Cincy this week ---- If your name is Andy Roddick.

Last night Roddick put on a display that his old coach Brad Gilbert must be very proud of.

After winning the first set against world #5 Robin Soderling ,he ground his way through a second set loss that would have ripped the guts out of a lot of players, but Roddick just dusted himself off and got back to the business of winning the 3rd set and the match.

Being a gamer is what its all about !!

He sometimes gets over stimulated and starts acting like a teenager with a few beers under his belt, but he seems to channel that energy, more often than not, into a positive channel very much like Johnny Mac used to do.

Winning Ugly is the title of Brad Gilberts-- (Roddicks former coach)-- book and Andy did just that last night!

YOU GOTTA LOVE THE GUY!

Just my opinion, Howie Burnett

#251 · (Edited)

well, mardy won :)woohoo: :hug: fishy!). now just to see how andy fares against djoko.

eta: andy and mardy. wheee!

but those last few games in the djokovic match were just pretty facepalm-worthy. for a moment i was thinking it was gonna go to a tb.

ha, andy knows that djokovic played pretty poorly today.

#262 ·

Andy beat no 5 and no 3. He is back in business. So proud of him. His confidence is back but I am worried for him with his match vs Fish. He must not see him as a friend but as an opponent.

#263 ·
Re: Welcome back to the top 10, Andy. (Hardcourt Season)

Yay Andy! Please play better, it sounds like today was not too great....
==========================
WESTERN & SOUTHERN FINANCIAL GROUP MASTERS

August 19, 2010

Andy Roddick

CINCINNATI, OHIO

A. RODDICK/R. Soderling
6-4, 6-7, 7-6

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. You had a couple of animated discussions with the chair umpire tonight. Was that about him not overruling when he should've?
ANDY RODDICK: It had nothing to do with that specific instance. First and foremost, let me say that Robin didn't hear the call because it was a very meek call; therefore you didn't challenge quickly. Completely understandable.
So my only thing is he thought he won the point, went back to his towel, came back, and then we heard the score, and then there was a challenge. So my simple question was, how long -- I've seen umpires go, No, you took too long before, and they won't let 'em challenge. So all I wanted was a number on what's too long to challenge.
They said, Timely manner. I said, What's a timely manner? Just it's at my judgment. Just give me a number. That's all I want is a number.
You know, I ended up badgering him to where he said ten seconds, and then I just had another discussion with some other people from the ATP, and they said, Well, until the other guy serves. I said, Well that's like 22 seconds.
So we're talking about a 12-second differential between know one knows. That's it. I mean, I'm not asking for like a miracle. I'm just asking for -- and someone else suggested that why don't the hawk eye people just start a thing and have a buzzer go off when you can't challenge anymore if someone is thinking about it.
I don't think you should be able to look at marks and do the whole thing. We all do it; we're all guilty of it because we can, but I don't think we should be able to. That was my only thing, was that I couldn't get a flippin' answer on what's a timely manner. Just give me a definition of that. So we just talked each other in circles for an entire switchover.

Q. Yesterday was solid; today was -- fill-in the blank.
ANDY RODDICK: Sorry?

Q. Yesterday was solid; today was?
ANDY RODDICK: It was pretty good. Um, you know, most of it, the first set and a half was really, really good. Played a loose game there and then didn't play a great tiebreaker. Again, kept it together in the third and was able to get through. I thought I served pretty well and returned pretty well.
I think each match is getting a little better.

Q. When was the last time you would have felt as well about how you played as you did today?
ANDY RODDICK: I don't know. I played pretty well yesterday. But I don't know. It's been a little while. I mean, it's been a struggle, so...
To put three good matches together here was extremely necessary fore going into the US Open. If I had gone out first, second round here, that would not have been very good.

Q. With respect to being on the sidelines for a little bit of an extended period of time, you had a night match tonight, and obviously a day match tomorrow. Any concerns about the quick turnaround time?
ANDY RODDICK: Yeah, well, they gave a not before 2:00. With the match at 7:00, not before 4:00 would have been super. Two hours doesn't make much sense, but it does in the grand scheme of it.
So, yeah, especially with what I've been going through, I'm a little concern about it. You know, probably not thrilled. I certainly understand their position, though. They have to announce the lineup to the world, the global media, by a certain time. They can't wait on a result to dictate that.
It's unfortunate, but I certainly understand their predicament as well.

Q. What does a match like this do for your confidence, not only for the rest of this tournament, but going into the US Open?
ANDY RODDICK: It's good. Any time you beat a guy that's 5 in the world -- you know, beat a couple guys top 40 and then a guy 5 back-to-back-to-back, it's good thing. Especially a couple of tight ones. All three of them were pretty tight. That's what you're looking for. I came here with not a whole a lot of expectation. This probably exceeds what my confidence level was coming in.
So I'm gonna leave this tournament, regardless of what happens, a lot more confident than I came. That's the first time I've been able to say that for a little bit.

Q. Talk about Robin's serve. Obviously he serves as hard as you do. It didn't look like he was mixing it up maybe as much as you; is that a true assessment?
ANDY RODDICK: Well he probably hits it harder. You know, he consistently probably hits it harder. It's a flatter serve, you know, therefore I think I have a little bit more movement on mine. Slice tailing away may be the other thing.
But he serves big. There were a couple times there I think when I had match points I guessed the right way, you know, and still didn't get it. If he hits a spot at 137 going the other way, you know, he's dictating to you a lot of the time.

Q. Sounds like a silly question, but you have a one-two combo with your first and second serve, maybe the best on tour, why do you and other guys take something off the second serve simply to get it in knowing that you've then reduced your chance of winning the point? We've actually crunched the numbers, and it actually comes out the other way sometimes.
ANDY RODDICK: Well, because it's normally a 50/50 proposition. The average first serve percentage on tour is what, 55? You know, that's basically -- here is the difference, okay.

Q. But you're winning 75% of those points.
ANDY RODDICK: I understand that. I'm gonna explain it to you. Blackjack is what, about a 50/50 game? But you normally play until you go caput, correct? So all it takes is all of a sudden you're -- two double faults in a row and you're Love-30. If sports were played on a stat sheet, you know, the look of it would probably be a lot different.
One thing you're not putting into consideration with the numbers is nervous tension. You know, it's a lot easier on a black and white piece of paper with a number to -- most people don't serve a ton better under pressure.
So if you're digging yourself a hole, Love-15, Love-30, it's a totally different ballgame. That can't be explained numbers, I don't think.

Q. Talk about your next match tomorrow against Djokovic. I think you're up in career head-to-heads. He's got some physical issues, respiratory, that might affect the match.
ANDY RODDICK: Yeah, we'll see. That's probably not -- I don't -- no disrespect, but I don't think I'm too concerned about. What I am concerned about is playing a guy who's been top 3 in the world for the past four years or so. That's what I'm concerned with.
You know, he brings a lot to the table. He returns great and he's great off the ground and he's pretty solid and he toughs out a lot matches. It didn't get easier from here.

Q. I was thinking though that he'll be about as depleted as you are, so it might be more of an even match.
ANDY RODDICK: Well, I mean, I would be guessing.

Q. Third set, Soderling serving at 3-4; he got into a Love-40 hole; he bounced back, got it to deuce, and then he had another breakpoint at that point, so four chances gone by the wayside. Didn't convert. But what was your thought process going into your service game at that point?
ANDY RODDICK: I was disappointed that I didn't get a look at one second serve on those points. I think I put three out of four first serve returns in, you know. In the second set I feel like I didn't put returns in when I could have, in the tiebreaker especially.
There I felt like I played a pretty good game through it all. He hit two aces and the first one he cracked a forehand winner at the first Love-40 point. What you want to do when someone makes a first serve is put the return in play and kind of see how it develops from there.
I did that. So I was disappointed, but it was definitely a better-played game.

Q. So in this the end, such a small difference in the entire match. That third set tiebreak, is it really just luck, or is it you just taking the right points at the right time?
ANDY RODDICK: It is taking the right points at the right time. You know what it is? It's putting yourself in good positions more often. In the second set breaker I played probably two or three loose points. There's your two points to the bad. I missed rally backhand. I don't think I put a first serve return in play.
In the third set breaker I think I played pretty solid. Even the points I lost he was having to - what was it, at 4-5 or something like that we had an decent rally, and he crushed a forehand up the line for a winner.
If he hits that, that's too good. But I played the right kind of point, and I think I did that more consistently in the third set breaker.

Q. Is there anything that you're not happy about with the match tonight that you want to improve on you're your next match?
ANDY RODDICK: Well, there's always stuff that I need to improve on. Probably not gonna advertise it.

Q. Even in general?
ANDY RODDICK: Even in general I'm not gonna advertise it.

Q. Do you have a recommendation on the challenge rule?
ANDY RODDICK: Just put a number on it. I don't care what they do. Let's just put a number on it.

Attachments

#266 ·

:)

Attachments

#267 ·

WESTERN & SOUTHERN FINANCIAL GROUP MASTERS

August 20, 2010

Andy Roddick

CINCINNATI, OHIO

A. RODDICK/N. Djokovic
6-4, 7-5

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. Was this a little bit easier match than you were expecting? Nothing is probably super easy, but, you know...
ANDY RODDICK: Novak probably didn't play his best today. That's fairly apparent. He's missing balls he normally doesn't miss. So I probably expected him to play a little bit better.

Q. You really made a big improvement on your first serve between the first and second sets. What did you do differently?
ANDY RODDICK: I mean, nothing really. They just started going in. I was missing a lot in the first set in the tape and kind of barely missing, but my second serve got me through the first set.
Then the second set I was able to kind of land a couple more fist serves.

Q. Were you able to catch the end of the Fish match before your match? And what are your impressions of the first all-American final since '04?
ANDY RODDICK: Semis, yeah.

Q. Or semis.
ANDY RODDICK: Oh, I'm excited for a lot of reasons. You know, at the beginning of last week I hadn't played tennis for about six or seven days. Mardy came down, and my first practice was really bad, and so I didn't really see this coming. Maybe for him, but not the way I was hitting the ball.
So it's real nice. Obviously I'm happy for his surge. He's probably my best friend on tour, so I'm really happy to see him playing well. I just hope he doesn't do it tomorrow. (Smiling.)

Q. How hard is it to play a really close friend like that?
ANDY RODDICK: We've done it enough. I think we both understand that once you get in between the lines it's business, and we're trying win a tennis match. When we were younger and probably a little bit -- you know, we probably had a little bit more attitude in our matches. (Laughing.)
You know, we would get a little snippy with each other. But I don't think we have to worry about that anymore. That's something we haven't done in a long time.

Q. Do you have any thoughts on Serena deciding not to play the US Open this year?
ANDY RODDICK: It's the first I've heard it of. I haven't had a chance to talk to her about it. But I do know the US Open is probably her favorite event, so obviously if she's, you know, this far out and is not gonna play, it's got to be something pretty serious.
Which is unfortunate, because there's no doubt about who the top draw card is in New York City as far as the women's side of the draw. So that's a fairly big sized hit for the tournament.

Q. Talk a little bit about your friendship with T.O. are you going to the game tonight? How did you guys meet, that type of thing.
ANDY RODDICK: I think we just met at the ESPYs one year. You know, I think we're both fairly straightforward. And I think either our first conversation could have gone really well, or we could have rubbed each other the extremely wrong way. (Laughing.)
But, no, it was cool. He likes coming out to the tennis, so we've gotten to know each other a little bit more. He came down to Australia this year. You know, it's always entertaining.

Q. What do you do in your free time when you're in Mason, Ohio?
ANDY RODDICK: I haven't had much free time. Actually, I have some in-laws here -- or not in-laws, some aunts and uncles that are here. My trainer, Doug Spreen, is from here, so he took us out to his golf club one day. I don't have much time, but the one day I did have off we went out and played some golf.

Q. How do you feel about your form overall? This is probably the most consistent you've played.
ANDY RODDICK: Well, I'm happy. I mean, you know, like I said, I didn't come into this tournament with hardly any expectations. I didn't know if I was gonna play it, to be honest, you know, Thursday, Friday of last week.
So I mean, the doc told me to probably only practice about an hour a day, and I think I've done more than that this week. So it's all good from -- regardless of what happens from here on out, I consider it a big success just because I feel like I have some form going into the US Open regardless.
So this has been a very, very positive week for me this week.

Q. I guess this win gets you back in the top 10 when the next world rankings come out. Is that something you pay any attention to at all?
ANDY RODDICK: (Laughing.) Um, I wish I got to talk about it as much when I am in the top 10 as opposed to when I'm not. It's only a story when I'm not.
I don't care at all, frankly. For me, it hasn't been about -- I mean, I missed the last four months of last year when my knee was all blown up, and then this year's been a little dicey.
I've had probably four or five good months to put on the board as far as ranking, so it's not really surprising that I dropped out. When I have been on the court, my record speaks for itself. It's 30 some odd wins and 7 losses or something like that.
It's not something I'm too concerned with? You know, if I felt like I was playing well and not getting wins, then that would different story. I know if I do the right things, prepare and find form, then I'm still relevant.

Q. Your streak at the end of the year, being in the top 10, do you look that at all? I know during the year there's obviously reasons.
ANDY RODDICK: Well, yes, because I want to play well towards the end of the year. I'm not concerned so much with the streak. I'm more concerned with confidence level entering a tournament to win a tennis tournament, giving myself a shot. I like feeling like one of the top guys. I don't like kind of the in between that I've been feeling this summer a little bit.
But as far as -- it's nice, because it shows consistency over a year, but it's definitely not something that I'm obsessed with.

Q. What is the key to tomorrow's match?
ANDY RODDICK: Well, I mean, there's gonna be no surprises. I mean, I think we probably know each other better than we might know ourselves, especially our playing styles. We talk about tennis all the time, our games; we're practicing, and we give each other little tips of what to look for, what we're doing differently.
I mean, there aren't a whole a lot the secrets out there. It's just gonna be matter of who executes better and who's able to do the right things.

#268 ·
Re: Waiting with baited breath to see the next losing technique at the USO!

Well this sucks. :(

#269 ·
Re: Waiting with baited breath to see the next losing technique at the USO!

while it's nice that he's back in the top 10, i don't like this serving out for the match and end up dumping the game thing that's shown up in this tourney. sure, it's only been twice, but idk, that's two times too much for andy. and i don't like that it's probably gonna stay with him, especially this one with fish where he did end up eventually losing (and so bad in the third).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.