Mens Tennis Forums banner

Well it wasn't a new losing technique but it was a good one nonetheless. Bye HC Seaso

25K views 378 replies 31 participants last post by  andymo 
#1 ·
don't feel like being creative :p

Anyway, Andy played worldteamtennis last night and will play one more. He beat Johnny mac.

then the HC season

all i can say is :help: ?

#186 ·
Re: Byebye Top 10, have fun, Andy. (Hardcourt Season)

well just waiting on the press conference now to see what he says :/

#188 ·

fellow MTFer lynn just tweeted

RT @DailyForehand Andy Roddick says that he is dealing with the end of a "mild, mild case of mono"

#191 ·

if he's dumb enough to know he has mono and keep playing without a doctor's approval, I don't even know.

#192 ·

I don't get it. Why would he go to Cincy in the first place if he has a mild case of mono? He'll make it worse if he tries to push himself. I know he hates sitting around doing nothing but he has to for his health's sake. :armed:

I just hope this a Fed-like mono and not an Ancic-like mono. Minus the face boil.

#193 ·

What I don't understand is why he wasn't tested immediately months ago, obviously this WAS what happened in madrid as several of us said even back then...he could've skipped however long he needed and at least he'd be back 100%.

We know he's smarter than this, isn't he?

#196 ·

I don't know, that is all i have seen :/ I guess we will find out soon enough the whole story.

That's the only thing we are all sure of: Andy Roddick is a hot mess.
:haha: :haha:

#199 ·
#200 ·

Andy Roddick had mild case of mono
Associated Press

MASON, Ohio -- Andy Roddick finally knows what's been getting him down the last few months -- a mild case of mononucleosis.

Roddick said on Saturday one of several blood tests came back positive for mononucleosis. Doctors told him he's probably had it for the last couple of months and should be nearly over it.

"I'm just glad that we found out something that was causing it," said Roddick, who is getting ready for next week's Cincinnati Masters. "It's weird, the fear of kind of the unknown and not knowing what's going on. There were some days where it was good, and some days where it was real bad. So it was like you would have one of those two or three good days, and it was like, 'OK, you're just being kind of a wimp.'

"So it's nice to have a little bit of clarity moving forward. It's not something that's going to affect me, anything super-serious."

Roger Federer had mononucleosis in 2008, leading to a decline in his wins and his ranking. Roddick has slipped to No. 11 in the world while struggling through a summer of out-of-character losses, making him wonder what was wrong.

Seeded fifth at Wimbledon, he lost to 82nd-ranked Yen-hsu Lu of Taiwan in the fourth round. He lost to Gilles Simon in the third round at Washington on Aug. 6, saying afterward that he didn't feel right. He got blood tests in Washington and more in Texas, and withdrew from the Rogers Cup in Toronto this week while awaiting results.

"I guess I've been dealing with a mild, mild case of mono for the last couple of months that I wasn't really sure about," he said. "So they think I'm fine now. They think I'm most of the way through it, if not all the way through it."

Roddick said he tired more easily this summer, prompting him to cut back on his workout schedule.

"I enjoy training all day and running all day long and doing all that stuff," Roddick said. "You know, I opted out of probably four or five workouts this summer -- that I've never done before. So that wasn't fun. It was just me wondering if I was out of shape or what was going on, why there was this lethargic feeling."

He expects to be fine for the U.S. Open, where he lost to John Isner in the third round last year. Roddick won the 2003 U.S. Open. He said his doctor was encouraging.

"He said, 'You know, the good news is you're probably ready to rock. Be a little careful, but you should be fine to go,' " Roddick said. "That was a relief."

#201 ·

An interview with:
ANDY RODDICK
THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. Talk a little bit about your year.
Started out pretty good with the title in Brisbane, and then good results in the spring. Tapered off just a little bit. Talk about what's happened with your game.
ANDY RODDICK: Sure. Yeah, you pretty much said it. I mean, there's not really -- I guess I'll go through the process of repeating what you just said.
My year started off pretty well and has tapered off a little bit recently.

Q. Is there a particular reason you can point to in terms of why?
ANDY RODDICK: Well, we're gonna fix that. It'll get better.

Q. When I saw you in Washington after you lost to Gilles Simon there, you said you were having with problems and feeling tired
and fatigue and you were going to get tests done to figure out what's wrong with you. Did you ever do that and figure anything out?
ANDY RODDICK: Um, yeah. I pulled out last week on the advice of doctors. I got some blood work done in Washington, and then again in Texas, and one of them came back positive for -- I guess I've been dealing with a mild, mild case of mono for the last couple of months that I wasn't really sure about.
So they think I'm fine now. They think I'm most of the way through it, you know, if not all the way through it. So I think more than anything else, it's kind of a mental relief opposed to wondering why, if I was out of shape, this that, and the other.
So that's that.

Q. You looking really forward to playing here? You've had a lot of success. Won two titles; seems to be one of your favorite places to play.
ANDY RODDICK: I love playing here. I always enjoy coming back. You know, it's a little bit different now. I'm still trying to -- taking the wrong turns in the hallways and towards the locker room, the new facilities. They say, Go to press, and I really didn't know where I was going.
No, I mean, obviously it looks great. Looks like they did a really great job. I'm happy about that for two reasons: Obviously selfishly, we enjoy the spoils of it; and beyond that, they've shown a commitment to keep this tournament here for long
after I'm done playing, which is probably the biggest issue that we're dealing with.
So I'm happy about it on both those points.

Q. Talk about your Huskers joining the Big 10. :rolls:
ANDY RODDICK: We'll see. Still a ways away, you know. I'm not sure -- I'm excited about them moving the Big 10. I feel like they just kind of fit with everything.

Q. Ohio State's tough.
ANDY RODDICK: Ohio State is tough; so are Oklahoma and Texas, so it's kind of a case of pick your poison. But I was happy to see it. I feel like - and this is just a tangent - but I feel like once they separated into North and South and we lost the every-year rivalry against Oklahoma and Texas, it lost a little bit of something.
So I'm excited. There are so many great programs in the Big 10. Obviously you said Ohio State and Michigan and Penn State. I would be remiss if -- my trainer, Doug, would be upset with me if I didn't mention his Hoosiers either.
I feel like Nebraska fits in there real well, so I'm excited about it.

Q. Can you talk about your friendly rivalry with Chad Ochocinco. Do you think you'll ever play an exhibition match with him, or at all?
ANDY RODDICK: I don't know. We're gonna have to get something together, I guess. I haven't talked to him since I've been here. We both been flapping our gums for a little bit while, so I guess we've got to live up to it at some point.
We'll see. Maybe it'll happen sometime this week.

Q. Do you talk beyond Twitter?
ANDY RODDICK: We kind of talk through T.O. sometimes. We kind of trash talk through him. So who knows what the other person is
hearing. T.O. might elaborate, maybe add something to it. :haha:

Q. Are you gonna go to the game Sunday night since he flew down to Australia to see you?
ANDY RODDICK: Way to add the guilt on the back of that one. Appreciate it. We'll see. I mean, I could tell you yes and you would never know.

Q. Shorter trip.
ANDY RODDICK: Yeah, exactly.

Q. With your mono diagnosis, does that change your expectations and goals for this tournament and the US Open?
ANDY RODDICK: No, I mean, like I said, I'm through the worst of it, which is good. I think if anything, you know, like I said, I'm just glad that we found something that was causing.
It's weird not -- the fear of kind of the unknown and not knowing what's going on. There were some days where it was good and some days where it was real bad. So it was like you would have those two or three good days, and it was like, okay, you're just being kind of a wimp.
So it's nice to just have a little bit of clarity moving forward. It's not something that's gonna affect me, you know, anything super serious. So it was good. It was good to kind of at least figure it out, and well worth my time to take the time to really give the time to figure it out.

Q. So you were kind of getting drained when you didn't expect to be?
ANDY RODDICK: Yeah, faster. You know, I would get -- I normally -- I enjoy training all day and running all day and doing all that stuff. You know, I opted out of probably four or five workouts this summer that I've never done that before.
So that wasn't fun. It was just me wondering if I was out of shape or what was going on, why there was this lethargic feeling. You know, like I said, it is what it is, and you move forward.

Q. How long had it been going on for?
ANDY RODDICK: Couple months, maybe.
I mean, I guess that's about -- that's what the doc said. I said, I'm feeling better. I felt a lot better in Washington than I had kind of training.
So he said, you know the good news is you're probably ready to rock. Be a little careful, but he said, You should be fine to go. So that was a relief.

Q. Can you pinpoint why you've had a lot of success here? This is one of tournaments you've tended to do really, really
well. It there anything you can point to that your game just hits right here for some reason?
ANDY RODDICK: Well, I mean, I think there's probably a convergence of reasons. You know, it's probably my favorite surface. You know, I normally enjoy pretty hot conditions. No one really enjoys them, but I don't hate them as much as most.
I've always gotten great support here, especially I remember in '06 when I was in a similar situation. I think I was 12 in the world, and I think people were trying to retire me then. You know, the crowd really got behind me that year,
and I was able to go through and get a win, which was desperately needed at that stage of my career.:hug:
From there, I made the final of the Open again. So a lot of that was the support I got here.
I feel comfortable here. I have family close by here. You know, it's just a place that I enjoy coming to.

Q. Were you able to practice since D.C.?
ANDY RODDICK: Yes. Yeah, I didn't practice for a while, but I started hitting a couple days ago.

Q. You didn't pull out until fairly late in Toronto, I think. You didn't go to Toronto, is that right, or did you go?
ANDY RODDICK: I did not go.

Q. What was it about the timing in making that decision?
ANDY RODDICK: Well, it was just a matter of being thorough. I mean, if we get these things back and nothing's wrong and I'm just tired, that's something you go play.
Toronto was nice enough. We explained the situation. They were great. They said, We can try to guarantee as late of a start as possible, 3:00 on a Wednesday or whatever it was. So that gave us the flexibility we needed.
Washington I think I lost at Thursday night, so there was an a little bit of wiggle room as far as trying to come up with what our plan was. I think we worked with the ATP to see what our options were. Toronto accommodated, and then we got
kind of our answers back.
From that point, I wasn't gonna play Toronto. But I didn't want to pull out on Friday and then not give myself any chance or any form of mental clarity, I guess.

Q. How important is it that you have fallen out of the top 10? For instance, now you don't have a first-round bye. You've got to play a first-round match.
ANDY RODDICK: That's fine. I've done it before. We only started getting the byes a couple years ago. I think people put a lot more stock in it.
I've kind of checked out since Washington, but I'm just hearing from Sam and Mardy how much they've been asked about it.

Q. Do you think it might actually work for you? Because it gives you more matches, assuming you win.
ANDY RODDICK: We'll see. You can view that either way. I can't predict circumstance. You know, sometimes it works; sometimes it doesn't. But it doesn't bother me that much. I know when I'm playing well, and I've proved that as recently as April. When I'm playing well and fit, I'm one of the best in the world. I don't feel the need to prove that on a week-to-week
basis. I've been proving that for ten years. :bowdown:
I'm probably less concerned with that than everybody else is.

Q. Roger avenged his loss at Wimbledon last night. Do you think about getting another shot at Lu on your favorite surface? :retard:
ANDY RODDICK: I don't know if I've thought about that one time in the last little while. You know, obviously it puts a little bit of an onus :spit: :haha: :rolls: :lol: :haha: :rolls: on it if that opportunity presents itself. But, you know, I played him five times before that match. I will play him more. Obviously there's -- next time you go out there you are gonna
want -- you do want a piece of that person, but it's not something that I have been consumed with or even thought about on a daily basis.

#204 ·

So Monoduck wins in 3, losing another TB :tape:

I missed the last two sets but Twitter's great for updates :lol:

AdjustingTheNet Roddick chases down lob & does 180 to hit dtl bh pass for 2-0. A-Rod wags his finger like Connors. Ok Andy. You deserved that. :eek: I hope highlights will be put on YouTube.

gregcouch Roddick just threw away the 2nd set to Stakhovsky, who has a game straight out of 1985. ARod blew a 5-2 lead in the breaker. Damn mono.

#205 ·
#206 ·

They should name that color Andy Blue, it is perfect in that it's a little too bright.

I love graph paper.

Attachments

#207 ·

Whoops :lol:

#208 ·

Roddick has his eyes on the prize
Confident game will improve as his health does

By Shannon Russell • srussell@enquirer.com • August 16, 2010

Andy Roddick didn't know if he felt perfect, but he said he felt good enough.

And "good enough" propelled him to a 6-4, 6-7 (5), 6-1 first round defeat of Ukrainian Sergiy Stakhovsky in the Western & Southern Financial Group Masters Monday at the Lindner Family Tennis Center.

Roddick, the 13th-ranked player on the ATP World Tour, advances to the W&S's Round of 32.

The 27-year-old American faces No. 50 Thiemo de Bakker of the Netherlands, a player he has defeated twice in 2010.

Roddick announced Saturday in Mason that he had been diagnosed with a mild case of mononucleosis. He said the revelation afforded him relief and clarity after he slogged through months of disconcerting malaise.

He was bounced in the Round of 16 at Wimbledon and Washington, withdrew from last week's Roger's Cup in Toronto and on Aug. 9 dropped out of the Top 10.

Roddick's symptoms didn't seem to persist against Stakhovsky, particularly as he closed out the third set. Although he was so frustrated with missed opportunities in the second-set tiebreak that he slammed down his racquet, Roddick called the third set "a blessing in disguise" because "that's the best I've played in a couple months."

His on-court emotions shifted to elation as he dominated the last set. He garnered big cheers for the two-handed backhand he employed to swat a lobbed ball up the line for a break point that put him up 2-0.

Roddick raised his arms and shook his finger as the crowd celebrated. His supporters included his wife, former Middletown resident Brooklyn Decker, and his buddy, Bengals wide receiver Terrell Owens.

"I wanted to show a little bit of emotion tonight. You know, I wanted to get the crowd involved. I want to compete. More than anything, I just wanted to compete out there and be tough the whole time," Roddick said.

"I did. I lost the second set, but I came right back and I was able to get back on top. So I thought I did a good job of that tonight. I was excited to play. I had a good time out there tonight."

Roddick took advantage of his foe's 44 unforced errors and clinched the victory in two hours, 15 minutes despite squandering nine of 12 break point conversions.:eek:

Roddick fired 10 aces and double-faulted only once in the victory. It was his second over Stakhovsky; Roddick beat him in straight sets early in the 2010 ATP World Tour Masters 1000 in Miami in March and later won the championship, his last tourney victory.

The two-time W&S champion said Saturday that he enjoys this venue for its proximity to family and the court's surface. He assured media that his play, which "has tapered off a bit recently," was going to "get better."

True to his word, he didn't let mono keep him down.

"You don't know what percentage (of the illness) is there. You just go." Roddick said.

#210 ·

He gave himself a chance to play better in the next round, which is good. What is worring me is that to me he did not look that good phisically. As for the tennis he played, it was normal to be more carrefull and tentative given the mono-thing. But he has to play better in the next round.

By the way, I liked the matchpoint :)

#211 ·

August 16, 2010

Andy Roddick

CINCINNATI, OHIO

A. RODDICK/S. Stakhovsky
6-4, 6-7, 6-1

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. What did Stakhovsky do differently in this match that he didn't do the first time you played him?
ANDY RODDICK: Well, he didn't serve 40% tonight. I think he served 38 or 40% the first time we played, and that makes for an uphill battle most times.
So he served a lot better, and I think that -- I mean, I think that's the main difference.

Q. How were you able to recover so well in the third set after being up 5-4 in the breaker, had the match on your racquet...
ANDY RODDICK: 5-2 in the breaker.

Q. 5-2 even, sure. But having the chances to close it out and then not doing it, but you coming out so strong right after.
ANDY RODDICK: You know, it just happens like that sometimes. I mean, you lose a tough one that you're up, what do you do? You just keep going. I get on the right side of it and was able to -- you know, the third set was almost a blessing in disguise that I got to play it, because that's the best I've played in a couple months.
So, you know, unfortunate that I was there, but I'm glad I played well in it.

Q. Set point first set and 5-All tiebreaker you came to net both times and you didn't get the point. Is that something that you're working on with Larry, to come to net a little bit more or at crucial junctures of the set?
ANDY RODDICK: Well, yeah, I mean, it didn't work then, but it worked a lot to set up the points. I would say overall had to be 65% points won at the net. I'm not sure what the exact stat is.
Also I think just him knowing that he couldn't get away with -- he has a pretty good chip. I wanted to establish that he wasn't gonna be able to play that as just a safety shot to be comfortable.
And so, you know, not only just look at the net approaches, but sometimes he forced a couple there in the third set I guess not wanting me to come in. So it's all -- that doesn't just show up on one point. It's a process of kind of working your way through a match sometimes.

Q. You tee'd off on his second serves. At one point, 60% of your second returns. Did he do anything different on his second serve that he didn't do on his first?
ANDY RODDICK: Um, did he do anything different? Well, yeah, I mean, the first serve is obviously coming in at 128.

Q. Aside from speed.
ANDY RODDICK: Um, you know, I felt like once we got to neutral tonight I was winning the majority of the points. So I've been returning pretty well in practice. I mean, he goes for it pretty good on his first serve, but he also goes tight. You know, he rarely goes for the safety, you know, body serve or he doesn't give himself a lot of margins.
So his first serve points won is normally gonna be pretty high when he does get it in, so it is important to try to establish the upper hand on his second serve points. I did that well tonight.

Q. That 6-1 in the third set suggested that the mono wasn't a problem.
ANDY RODDICK: No. I mean, I don't know that I feel perfect, but good enough. It's just something that at this point you hope it's -- you don't know what percentage of it is there. You just go. If you make the choice to go out there, you try to give it your best.

Q. Third game of the match, first-round match, Come on. You had about a dozen tonight. Was this in your mind a little bit bigger match than maybe expected to get so involved very early on?
ANDY RODDICK: I think so. I wanted to show a little bit of emotion tonight. You know, I wanted to get the crowd involved. I want to compete. More than anything, I just wanted to compete out there and be tough the whole time.
I did. I lost the second set, but I came right back and I was able to get back on top. So I thought I did a good job of that tonight. I was excited to play. I had a good time out there tonight.

Q. Talk about the ridiculous shot at 3-0 in the third set. That was an unbelievable shot to break.
ANDY RODDICK: Yeah, I mean, he barely snuck that lob up over my head, and, you know, it was unfortunate. I went from a dominant position in the point to a very defensive position. The only thing I was trying to do was I thought that he was probably coming in on that. He likes to come in when he can.
So I figured -- all I was trying to do was get direction up the line, and actually edged the up hitting it better than...

Q. Good shot?
ANDY RODDICK: Yeah, I ended up hitting it more solid than I thought. But I think it was because of direction. He was kind of covering the crosscourt, and it was probably the safest shot.
Yeah, definitely not gonna execute that one every time, but I was happy I made it.

Q. Did you lose any weight with mono?
ANDY RODDICK: No.

Q. Is there any danger in exercising heavily when you have it?
ANDY RODDICK: Possibly.

Q. We saw the braces on your ankles tonight. How are they feeling after your first match?
ANDY RODDICK: Those braces have been there since -- how old are you? :haha: :haha:

Q. 13. :haha: :rolls:
ANDY RODDICK: 13. They've been there since you were about five. So they feel okay. (Laughing.) Thank you, though. :lol::lol:

Q. You've had a lot of success on the court in Cincinnati. What are some of the top things you like to do when you have some free time off the court?
ANDY RODDICK: Well yesterday I had a pretty good day. I was out here at 9:30 and practiced about a an hour and a half with Fish, and then caught the Red's game. My friend Homer Bailey from Texas, we train together in the off-season, so I caught him pitch six scoreless, and then went over to the Bengals game last night and then had a nice steak dinner.
You know, it was a pretty good day.

Q. T.O. was here tonight.
ANDY RODDICK: Yeah.

Q. Did you get a chance to talk to him at all?
ANDY RODDICK: Yeah, I saw him afterwards. Might go get a bite to eat now. He traveled to Australia, so I figured he would come up to Mason.

Q. Your next opponent is de Bakker. You played him in Indian Wells and you got him 4 and 4. He actually out-aced you that day, and I came away from that match telling people, I just saw Andy Roddick play a version of Andy Roddick. It really looked like you were playing yourself when you played de Bakker. What are you gonna do different against him this time?
ANDY RODDICK: Well, if that's the case, that should make the scouting report easier for me, right? I played him in Australia also first round. He plays big. You know, I think the thing that he's gonna want to probably look to improve on as he gets a little older is just consistency.
He's certainly capable of hitting big serves and shots, it's just a matter of not playing the loose games. It think that's the difference, or it has been the difference the two times we've played.
He's certainly can hit the ball big, and he's certainly a very dangerous opponent.

Q. Has your backhand gotten a little bit better? :haha: :retard: It looks like he was targeting that a little bit more this match.
ANDY RODDICK: Well, I mean, people talk about how good it's gotten. I don't know that I would consider it like a great shot, but I don't know that it was ever as bad as people made it out to be either.
It seems to be when I win a match, my backhand is so improved; and then when I lose a match, it's the worst shot in tennis. So tonight it was improved. :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.