Mens Tennis Forums banner

Well it wasn't a new losing technique but it was a good one nonetheless. Bye HC Seaso

25K views 378 replies 31 participants last post by  andymo 
#1 ·
don't feel like being creative :p

Anyway, Andy played worldteamtennis last night and will play one more. He beat Johnny mac.

then the HC season

all i can say is :help: ?

#270 ·
Re: Waiting with baited breath to see the next losing technique at the USO!

if I had to guess, he knew in the back of his head he couldn't win (physically) in 3 sets and put too much pressure on himself to finish in 2, and then he didn't, so he just completely fell apart both physically and mentally. Just a guess. But it's hard to see him doing much better than round 3 or 4 at the USO all things considered.

#271 · (Edited)

yeah, i wouldn't doubt it if it's something like that. i guess i'm just kinda offput by it because i can see this kinda stuff weighing him down in his mind in the future and he doesn't need something else to think about, and considering he doesn't break a whole lot to begin with and usually we can depend on him holding his own service games... idk. :scratch: i'm not used to seeing him so shaky mentally when it comes to closing out a match on his own terms.

but then again, i guess his serve hasn't been as good as we've known it to be in the past. and we all know how much andy depends on his serve to help him out.

#272 ·

yeah it is disconcerting for sure. But in this particular case I have to believe that it's because he doesn't trust his stamina if he doesn't close it out (esp. in 2 sets). The long matches early in the tourney obviously hut him and he knew yesterday and today in the heat of the day that he couldn't really go 3. novak was so bad that he obliged right back, and remember he almost blew it yesterday the second time around. Today obviously Mardy wasn't as bad as Novak and could capitalize on it. but I can't possibly believe that andy has suddenly turned into that big of a mental midget. Maybe i'm just fishing for explanations :lol:

#273 ·

haha, i hope so, too! your explanation does sound plausible, though, especially since he is coming off his "mild, mild case" of mono. or maybe i'm trying to rationalize this myself. :lol: i don't want to even imagine this carrying on further than cincy.

#274 ·

I don't think there's any way he'll suddenly be 100% physically in a week and a half. Better, sure, but probably not 100%. Even if it's a mild case, it's my understanding that it still takes some time for its effects to completely go away, but I am no doctor!:lol: hopefully he won't do anything stupid. My guess is if this tournament wasn't one he loves so much he wouldn't even have played in the first place. I guess the fact that he got a bunch of wins, a couple against top 5 players no less, should be icing on the cake. Hopefully in his own mind he can chalk the bullshittery up to the mono, even if it's not the case. whatever will make him ok mentally is all that matters :lol:

#276 ·

I don't think there's any way he'll suddenly be 100% physically in a week and a half. Better, sure, but probably not 100%. Even if it's a mild case, it's my understanding that it still takes some time for its effects to completely go away, but I am no doctor!:lol: hopefully he won't do anything stupid. My guess is if this tournament wasn't one he loves so much he wouldn't even have played in the first place. I guess the fact that he got a bunch of wins, a couple against top 5 players no less, should be icing on the cake. Hopefully in his own mind he can chalk the bullshittery up to the mono, even if it's not the case. whatever will make him ok mentally is all that matters :lol:
Even a mild case of mono can take a long time to recover from. It can really wipe a person out even if they don't look tired.

The positives? Back in top ten, got some match play for the US Open and didn't obtain any injuries.

Now he needs to rest up some more and prepare for the US Open.

#275 ·

:lol: mte, mte! in this case i wouldn't mind if he bullshits himself some if it helps him get to a better mental place (as long as it doesn't become a crutch, i'm good).

#277 ·

Yep pretty much. and of course andy won't say he was exhausted ,especially not after losign to mardy.

#278 ·

WESTERN & SOUTHERN FINANCIAL GROUP MASTERS

August 21, 2010

Andy Roddick

CINCINNATI, OHIO

M. FISH/A. Roddick
4-6, 7-6, 6-1

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. How much did the second rain delay affect you?
ANDY RODDICK: Well, I mean, the first one really helped; the second one obviously didn't. That's the thing with rain delays. The momentum can shift really fast.
I benefited from it the first time for sure. He came out and served kind of a sluggish game right away, and I kind of matched that. And then once he got back into it, he completely outplayed me in the third set. He was swinging from the hips. Even the breaker, I didn't play a bad breaker. I made first serves and he played well.
A lot of it comes down to one of the most important points was the ball I missed, the first point of the game where I was serving it out. You know, it was a short ball. I kind of think I hit it -- because he had been hitting his passes pretty well, I think I overhit it. I make him play there, it might be a different story.

Q. Did you feel uncomfortable approaching the net today?
ANDY RODDICK: Yeah. I mean, I didn't -- you know, this whole week I've kind of been surviving and I've been competing real well. Ball-striking has been okay.
Got exposed a little bit today by a player -- he's probably playing a little bit better right now. He's very confident, and, you know, he has the last five, six weeks to build up on that. You know, he played better than I did at the important moments today.

Q. On your forehand, you had 15 unforced errors. Actually more than your backhand unforced errors, which is kind of surprising. Anything going on specific with the forehand today?
ANDY RODDICK: Just wasn't falling. I was trying to put good swings on the ball, and it was extremely erratic today. I was pretty happy with almost everything else in my game, even the net stuff. He hit a lot of great passing shots. You know, a lot of times I put myself in positions I wanted to, and he came up with the goods.
My forehand was something that I was in complete control of, and donated a little bit. So that's something that I need to work on. But, you know, ten days ago I feel like every shot I had felt that way. Now we're down to one, so it's a good thing.

Q. Not a lot of aces today. Do you attribute that to him knowing your serve a little bit and knowing where you're gonna go?
ANDY RODDICK: Possibly. I don't know. My percentages weren't where I wanted them to be all week. You know, as far as the other thing, he was doing a good job of -- he wasn't really being aggressive on first serves. He was putting ball in play.
I think more so than that was he was hitting the second ball real well from a defensive position and he was neutralizing really well. I think more so than the serve or the return or anything like that, I think he was -- the part of his game that's changed the most is his ability to neutralize off that second ball and really dig in and then get back to even terms.

Q. How do you feel health-wise going into the Open? I know you were suffering from a little bit of mono.
ANDY RODDICK: I feel okay. You know, to be honest, I came here and I had no expectations. For me to get in five really tough matches is more than I could've asked for going into the Open. Honestly, when I came here I was thinking maybe two matches we'll see. I hadn't really put too much time in.
So beyond the disappointment that's gonna linger for the next couple of hours, I think this week has been a complete positive considering how I felt and kind of where I was at 11 or 12 days ago.

Q. You mentioned his first serve wasn't doing anything much, but you only won four points on his first serve all day. What was going on with that?
ANDY RODDICK: Well, you know, a lot of times that's a credit to him. You know, he's mixing it up well and he wasn't real patterned. I didn't do that well against his first serve in Atlanta when we played either, so that's something that I probably I need to look at.
But he's doing a good job controlling that first ball, also.

Q. In terms of your game, what do like about what you're doing into the Open, and what do you need to improve on?
ANDY RODDICK: Well, I can improve on a lot. I won a big number of second serve return points this week. If I can get my serving numbers where I want them to be and kind of just maybe tighten up the errors a little bit, I feel like I'll be playing real well.
I feel like I took a lot of good strides this week, but there's just a couple fine details now that I think can turn from playing good to playing really well.

Q. What do you do during the one-hour delay?
ANDY RODDICK: Sat in the locker room.

Q. Was Mardy there with you?
ANDY RODDICK: No. I made him get out.:lol:

Q. Is the fan support you get here consistent with what you get around the U.S. and around the world?
ANDY RODDICK: I think this is up there with the most that I get. The fans are so enthusiastic here about the sport, and really get behind their countrymen. You know, it's a place I've certainly always appreciated playing, and always look forward to coming back, too.

Q. Del Potro pulled out of the Open today. How do you see the field heading into the Open? A really wide open field this year.
ANDY RODDICK: Um, everything is different at a slam. Everything is different. You're gonna have the normal cast of characters as the favorites, and then that next kind of tier of four or five guys -- I think Mardy has played himself into that discussion, and I think with this week I've kind of put myself back in that discussion.
Obviously you've got to favor the guys that have been there and done it before. A slam is a little bit of a different animal. So Del Potro pulling out, I don't think that has much emphasis. It would have been a pretty tall ask for him to come back and his first tournament be a major player. That's something that's built up over time.
So I don't think it's that much different than what we've seen over the last year or so.

Q. On a positive side, you only had four double faults the whole match. That has to make you pretty happy.
ANDY RODDICK: Yeah, that's...

Q. Timing may not be great.
ANDY RODDICK: I normally keep my double faults pretty low. I've actually double faulted probably a little bit more this week than I normally have.
Bu, again, overall I'm a lot further ahead than I was 10, 11 days ago where I didn't know what the hell was going on with myself. Mentally, when you have that many questions, physically, whenever else, it's kind of a miserable spot to be in.
So to kind of come here and actually be talking about how I let a final slip away is a position I didn't think I would be in. So I'm gonna have to try to have a positive perspective about things, because I'm a lot further ahead than I was this time last week.
I'm disappointed that I let this one get away today. Overall, I feel like it was a very positive week.

#279 ·

hmm... i do like how he's being positive about what's happened, yet still able to notice some faults and criticize himself. seems like he's in a decent mental place here -- or at least i hope he is.

#280 ·

yeah. hope is right :lol: at least it's not like it was a few years ago when he was a hot mess and saying he was fine. maybe he's just more honest about it than he used to be but at least he admitted and knows his FH was crap

#281 ·

awww, can we have a different thread title? :awww:

I know I'm in the minority, but I saw so many positive things about his week in Cincy. I actually feel really good about his chances in NY compared to how we felt after Washington a few weeks ago. His 'mild, mild, mild case of mono' was hedging, and I think it was worse than he is willing to tell (remember in 2002 how he wouldn't admit that his foot was completely screwed up when he lost to Pete?).

I think he did really well this week. He gutted out wins despite not being 100%, he looked like death after the Soderling match, and he did okay against Mardy. Yeah, he completely fell apart in the weirdest way, but it may be better that he lost yesterday to Mardy and gets an extra day of rest, then have to deal with Federer again. We know those Fed losses get into Andy's head and stay there. He was relaxed enough this morning to play golf with Justin (Justin's twitter) and he's headed to NYC where he has a home to go to. I think he will get the rest and food/fuel he needs and be raring to go for the USO. Fingers crossed he gets a really good draw.

#283 ·

awww, can we have a different thread title? :awww:

I know I'm in the minority, but I saw so many positive things about his week in Cincy. I actually feel really good about his chances in NY compared to how we felt after Washington a few weeks ago. His 'mild, mild, mild case of mono' was hedging, and I think it was worse than he is willing to tell (remember in 2002 how he wouldn't admit that his foot was completely screwed up when he lost to Pete?).

I think he did really well this week. He gutted out wins despite not being 100%, he looked like death after the Soderling match, and he did okay against Mardy. Yeah, he completely fell apart in the weirdest way, but it may be better that he lost yesterday to Mardy and gets an extra day of rest, then have to deal with Federer again. We know those Fed losses get into Andy's head and stay there. He was relaxed enough this morning to play golf with Justin (Justin's twitter) and he's headed to NYC where he has a home to go to. I think he will get the rest and food/fuel he needs and be raring to go for the USO. Fingers crossed he gets a really good draw.
I couldn't agree more. His little brain hiccup yesterday was definitely better than having to deal with anything Roger related and he's in a WAY better position now that he has been all summer headed into the Open. We'll have to wait and see how the draw shakes out but if he gets enough rest he should be ready to go.

#287 ·

Maybe it should just be "Waiting with baited breath..."
Because who knows what could happen at this point.

As you can see i am always fond of the- "dot dot dot":haha:
I love them too! :D I think your suggestion is excellent.

Glad to see that maybe I'm not in the minority and others see some of the same stuff I saw.

#288 ·

No one said it was a bad week for him :scratch: In fact, Kate and I were joking last night that he just needs to come into every tournament with no expectations... remember when he won Dubai? Cincy 2006? etc, he had no expectations and was tired or coming off injury and he played his best. I am sure that's why he got through as many matches as he did this week. I still believe that his problems largely stem from the pressure he puts on himself, and when he can convince himself that there are no expectations, he can loosen himself up. I wish he could replicate that week in and week out but easier said than done.

But still, him failing to serve out 2 matches in a row and then losing the way he did is a new epic way of losing. It's just tongue in cheek. i don't think anyone here actually thinks the week was a failure. I do hope the energy he exerted didn't set back his recovery from the mono, though. Best of 5 at the Open will be worse, but luckily he will have the day off in between. He's not gonna be 100% by next week.

Good news is that he has almost nothing left to defend the rest of the year.

#289 ·

You are so right. He puts too much presure on himself.
Let's hope he restores his fitnes and be as close to 100% phisically as he can be for the Open. Because it is one of his last chances to get another Slam.

Verdasco is not going to defend his title in New Heaven. Can Andy be number 8 on next Monday?

#290 ·

Maybe but it won't matter for the uso seeding since the draw comes out this week...

#291 ·

really good article ˇ :worship:

Can Roddick atone for summer slump?
August, 24, 2010
By Ravi Ubha, ESPN.com

Editor's note: Beginning Aug. 16, Ravi Ubha is unveiling the top 10 U.S. Open questions. Check back each weekday until Aug. 27 as we count down to No. 1.

3. How's A-Rod looking?

Andy Roddick has had it good in his career when it comes to health. Well, until 2010.

A shoulder injury affected Roddick in a five-set loss to Marin Cilic -- the now-fading Marin Cilic -- at the Australian Open, and the onset of mono hampered the long-standing U.S. top player at the French Open and Wimbledon. Out went the good work from Indian Wells and Miami.

It's not as if Roddick would have won in Paris or even reached the quarterfinals, but there had to be an ulterior explanation for his unexpected defeat to Yen-Hsun Lu, inspired as he was, in the fourth round at Wimbledon.

Roddick was diagnosed with mono in only mid-August, and he skipped the Rogers Cup in Toronto before being given the all clear to return at the Cincinnati Masters this past week. He didn't know what to expect.

Things couldn't have gone much better.

Roddick downed tricky Ukrainian Sergiy Stakhovsky, edged promising Dutchman Thiemo de Bakker in a typical early-round Roddick match (one break), battled past world No. 5 Robin Soderling and overcame, yet again, No. 3 Novak Djokovic.

In terms of competitiveness, Roddick was back to his best against Soderling in a three-set slugfest on Thursday. Up a set and break, serving with aplomb, a lapse allowed the Swede to force a tiebreaker. Roddick missed a match point. He then squandered numerous opportunities to put Soderling away before a deciding tiebreaker.

But Roddick hung in there mentally -- and physically. The marathon affair lasted nearly three hours. (For all his good qualities, such as not making excuses, Roddick didn't do himself any favors by berating chair umpire Mohamed el-Jennati in the tussle with Soderling.)

The next day, Roddick dispatched Djokovic in straight sets. Djokovic was indeed playing poorly, although Roddick's body didn't let him down following a quick turnaround.

Roddick's confidence must be back, even though he blew a lead to good buddy Mardy Fish in the semifinals. Re-entering the top 10 in the rankings can't hurt, and unlike in 2009, Roddick enters Flushing Meadows with little pressure.

Roddick needs an especially good draw early to have any chance of claiming a second major and his first since the U.S. Open in 2003. In the aftermath of his illness, he can't afford to go four or five sets twice in the opening week. It'll catch up with him.

Just one solid tournament heading into the U.S. Open might not be the best preparation, but the outlook was far worse two weeks ago.

http://espn.go.com/sports/tennis/blog/_/name/espntennis/id/5493558/can-roddick-atone-summer-slump

#292 ·

I really hope he can get the job done in straights in the first 2-3 rounds. After that who knows...
If he makes the semis it will be good, given the circumstances. He really needs to do well in Slam this year, and that would mean at least semi-final at the Open.

#294 ·

well then we all better pray to the good draw gods tonight :scared:

#296 ·

I think it is good draw - no Roger, Rafa or Murray in the quarters. Obviously he has the confidence against Djokovic, so he is the best option for Andy. And Davydenko is comming back from injury, played well in Cincy, but Andy had a lot of succes against him in the past. Tipsarevic and Monfils are dangerous, but if he is healthy he should beat them on this surface. Really really hope he is phisically fine, because in that case Andy has good chance to do some damage. This is the most important thing.

The second most important - one match at a time.

#297 ·

IMO Andy got really lucky here for the most part. he needs to get through his early matches as quickly and economically as possible. It's the best possible draw for him I think. Some tough but not unbeatable matches early on, and the best possible R4/QF opponents he could've asked for all things considered.

He was seeded 9 and drawn to face baghdatis in 2006 also................

#302 · (Edited)

I'M probabbly being petty but, He can't sit out 1 kids day with Mono?:shrug:

Doubt he would ever but still...
I mean, i know it is not very physically taxing but it is more time you have to be "on" & one more thing you have to do (this slam seems to have the most extra curriculars)
He could be resting every f-ing chance he gets.:shrug: oh never that.

...and the taste of tennis thing the other night.:rolleyes:

& a Lacoste signing...

Whatever Mojo.:cool:

#305 ·

I'M probabbly being petty but, He can't sit out 1 kids day with Mono?:shrug:

Doubt he would ever but still...
:lol: if andy skipped out on aakd, that would probably the no. 1 shocker for me in the tourney. forget match upsets, andy didn't participate in kid's day!? sign of the apocalypse approaching.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.