Mens Tennis Forums banner

Jason Kubler Cheering Thread

169K views 2K replies 73 participants last post by  Koobs 
#1 ·
Jason Kubler, 15, from Brisbane is the latest in a long line of Queenslanders to emerge. Following on from the likes of Patrick Rafter, Marc Kimmich, Robert Smeets and Bernard Tomic, Kubler has been quietly going about his business on the ITF Junior Circuit, and more recently, the ITF Men's Circuit. This comes after being the standout player of the 2007 European Young Stars Tour, in which he won a couple of the most prestigous tournaments in the 14&U age group, and led Australia to victory at the 2007 World Junior Tennis Competition. It was the first time Australia has ever claimed the title, our two previous best performances were 3rd in 1995 (with Lleyton Hewitt in the team) and 3rd in 2005.

In his past four tournaments on the ITF Junior Circuit, Jason has made two quarter finals. On the men's circuit, Jason has been winning one or two matches, in qualifying, for the recent QLD 15k's, and just this week he qualified for the main draw of the 15k in Gympie.

Let me tell you that I have seen him play and he is so so good for his age. Powerful, accurate groundstrokes, a strong serve and good movement. He, along with Bernard and Brydan Klein, is the future of Australian men's tennis

#4 ·
Bump!

Sydney young gun Elizabeth Searl (Raymond Terrace) has taken her first national title today, winning the girls' singles title at the Optus 16s Spring Nationals in Sydney today.

Searl, currently ranked 72 in Australia, was too strong for No. 2 seed Jenny Le (Fairfield, NSW), defeating her in straight sets.

"Its feels great to get my first Optus National title,” Searl said. “After getting pipped at the post last year at the Optus Spring Nationals in Traralgon, I am very relieved to have won this one, and it's even better because it's on home soil.”

“I worked through match by match this week and certainly saved my best match for last, it was a great final."

Although going down at the last hurdle, making it to today's match was a fantastic achievement for Le, who was contesting her first Optus Nationals tournament.

In the boys' 16/u final top seed Jason Kubler (Mango Hill, QLD) won in convincing fashion over No.4 seed Todd Volmari (Hawker, ACT).

For Kubler, currently sitting at a career high Australian ranking of 100, the win was his first since returning from injury earlier this year.

"I am thankful all my hard work over the past couple of months is starting to pay off,” Kubler said.

“As each match went on I felt I was improving and getting more and more comfortable out there on the court. It is a long hard road and this win is just the tip of the iceberg for me.

Kubler also paid tribute to his Volmari, “Todd has had an awesome run this week and has really stepped up his level of plays - he was a great opponent today!"

In the boys' doubles final Kubler teamed with Joey Swaysland (Wagga Wagga, NSW) to win in straight sets over Tristan Jackson (City Beach, WA) and Damien Farinola (Netley, SA) 6-4 6-2.

Alyssa Hibberd (Sorell, TAS) and Katy O'Shea (Kalaroo, WA) defeated Teiwa Casey (Kalamunda, WA) and Jenny Le (Fairfield, NSW) 6-0 6-4 in the girls' 16/u doubles final.

#5 ·
Good for Jason to get a win, he was the top seed for a national championship in which he was a year out of his age group. And he didn't drop a set en route to the title.

Pat Rafter did some work with him a while back and said something along the lines of 'let me tell you, this kid has got some real weapons.' Seems Rafter is impressed with him and hoping he can go all the way.

Jason is playing a G4 ITF Junior tournament in Sydney this week, he is the 7th seed.

Best of luck ;)

#7 ·
Jason took out the Oceania Closed Championships in Fiji overnight. Big win for him with the likes of former champions being Bernard Tomic. Will be interesting to see if he will be able to gain an ATP point this year and how he will go at the junior slams next year.

#10 ·
Bump!!

Since his first round loss in Darwin, Jason has lead Australia to victory in the Junior Davis Cup in Mexico, the second time we have won the title in three years.

Jason was our No.1 and he won all 5 of his singles matches in straight sets, including a 7-6 7-5 win over the British No.1 in the final.

Previously, there has only ever been one boy good enough to lead his country to victory as the No.1 player at the World Junior Team Championships and the Junior Davis Cup...and that was Rafael Nadal. Kubler led Australia to a win in the World Junior Team Championships in 2007 and this year became the second player to win the Junior Davis Cup at No.1, pretty good company, huh?

This week Jason is playing at the Grade A Osaka Mayor's Cup in Japan. He has dropped just 11 games in 4 matches to make the semi finals...including his 6-0 6-0 win in the quarter finals.

In today's semi finals, Jason plays 9th seeded Japanese Yasutaka Uchiyama. Realistically, I think Kubler has a good shot at making the final and even winning the title, thus expanding on his 20 match winning streak in junior competition (without losing a set).

In the next two weeks Jason will play in a Grade 2 ITF Junior Tournament in Thailand and a Grade B1 ITF Junior Tournament in Korea. He is currently ranked No.106 on the ITF Junior Rankings but will jump to around 60 with his results so far this week. Realistically, I can even see him making the top 20 by the end of the season.

So well done and good luck for the rest of the season :)
Keep your eyes peeled because 2010 is going to be a big year for Jason, provided he stays injury free (which inhibited him at the start of this year)

#11 ·
Jason today won his semi final 6-3 7-5 against 9th seed Yasutaka Uchiyama.

In tomorrow's final, he faces the 18 year old 8th seed from Japan. Kubler has a good shot, his opponent has dropped 3 sets en route to the final, whilst Jason has dropped only 19 games.

#13 ·
Osaka Mayor's Cup World Super Junior Tennis Championships - Osaka, Japan
Grade A, Girls Singles, Main Draw of 64
Representing Australia, Jason Kubler, seeded 11th

R1: defeated Matthais WUNNER (GER) 6/4 6/0
R2: defeated Hikaru OSHIRO (JPN) 6/2 6/4
R3: defeated Cheng-Peng HSIEH (TPE) (5) 6/0 6/1
QF: defeated Jeson PATROMBON (PHI) 6/0 6/0
SF: defeated Yasutaka UCHIYAMA (JPN) (9) 6/3 7/5
F: defeated Hiroyasu EHARA (JPN) (8) 6/0 4/6 6/2

Congratulations Jason on a memorable tournament and a wonderful win!!

With this, Kubler will soar from No.106 on the ITF Junior Rankings to No.31
Great week, great performance and good set up for rest of season and into next year :) ;)

#16 ·
Jason is in the semi finals of this week's LTA International Junior Championships in Bangkok, Thailand.

Seeded 6, Kubler was pushed to three sets in his opening match before winning 2-6 6-4 6-0. In the second round he had a dominant 6-1 6-0 win before being pushed to 3 sets in his quarter final, winning 6-3 3-6 6-3. He is now on a 25 match winning streak in juniors.

He lost his doubles semi final yesterday

#17 ·
Kubler is bringing it! Ranked 32 in juniors and not a single younger player ranked above him. I hope he enters the three Australian Futurs events starting in mid-November so he can get some men's ranking points because he's only played one Futures this year (qualified then lost first round in September). Just noticed that on his ITF profile it says his favourite surface is clay... interesting...

#18 ·
Kubler won his semi final 7-6(6) 6-1 against 5th seed Chuhan Wang from China. In the final he has to play Yasutaka Uchiyama from Japan, the No.3 seed. Kubler beat Uchiyama in the semi finals of last week's Osaka Mayor's Cup in Japan, 6-3 7-5, so one would give him a great chance of winning his 4th consecutive ITF Junior Boy's Singles Title.

Congrats Jason, and good luck for the final :D
If he loses, he will still jump from No.32 on the ITF Junior Rankings to No.19.
If he wins he will rise a little higher to No.18.

He is entered in one final ITF Junior Tournament in South Korea next week. A win would see him soar into the top 10. A runner up position would also see him into the top 10

#23 ·
This Asian/Oceania Closed Championships 2009 in Korea is a B1 tournament. B1 events are worth 180 ranking points for winning. Kubler currently has 650 points with a 6th best result of 20 points. Therefore, if he wins he will gain 160 points, bringing his total to 810. That many points will place him at number 4 in the Junior world rankings! Please let me know if I'm mistaken.

Kubler is currently in the Round of 16; only four more wins to go!

#24 ·
Jason won his third round match 6-0 6-2 against 14th seed Sumeet Shinde from India. Impressive scoreline.

Tomorrow in the quarter finals he faces Ben McLachlan (No.8 seed) from New Zealand. Should win that as well.

By making the quarter finals Kubler will rise from No.17 to No.12 on the ITF Junior Rankings. If he makes the semi finals he will be tied 11th. If he makes the final he will be No.6. And if he wins the title, yes he will be No.4.

Pretty amazing to think he could be in the top 10 when only a fortnight ago he was No.106

#27 ·
He is a grinder from the back of the court, from what I've heard his game is very similar to Rafa Nadal's. His favorite surface is clay as well and he has a two handed backhand. I think Jason is still very far behind Tomic when you take into account that Bernard has won a grand slam match and a challenger title and Jason hasn't even won a professional seniors main draw match (not that I don't think that is going to change very soon).

If you look at our juniors we've got Bernard, Jason and Luke all doing very well for their age. Lets just hope all three can play on the seniors circuit and bring us back the Davis Cup!

#26 ·
Kubler wins again! And he isn't just winning, he is thrashing his opponents:
64 W Chel Tae Gong KANG (KOR) 6-0 6-2
32 W Ki-Hoon KIM (KOR) 6-4 6-1
16 W (14)Sumeet SHINDE (IND) 6-0 6-2
QF W (5)Ben MCLACHLAN (NZL) 6-3 6-1
S vs. (6) Chuhan WANG

#28 · (Edited)
Semi-finals of B1 event in Korea:

Jason KUBLER (AUS) (3) d. Chuhan WANG (CHN) (6) 6-3 4-6 6-1

Someone actually took a set off Kubler but our boy romped it home 6-1 in the third. In the final Kubler plays 4th seed Yasutaka UCHIYAMA (JPN) who's won 15 of his last 17 junior matches (both losses coming against Kubler) as well as reaching the quarters of a futures last month and getting his first ATP points in the process. Uchiyama and Kubler have been the two standouts of the junior Asian swing in the last few weeks. Kubler won both finished events while Uchiyama has only lost to Kubler (in the semis and final). Both times they played were similar scorelines: 6-3 7-5 and 7-6(3) 6-2.

Personally, I don't think the junior ranking system is the greatest. For example, the winner of this tournament will receive the same amount of points as a Grand Slam runner-up. Nevertheless it will be an awesome achievement if Kubler wins the final and breaks the world top 5.

#30 · (Edited)
Final of Asian/Oceania Closed Championships 2009:

Jason KUBLER (AUS) (3) d. Yasutaka UCHIYAMA (JPN) (4) 6-2 6-4

Great stuff Kubler! Conquered the juniors (5 straight titles including Grade A and B1 + junior Davis Cup), now go get some ATP ranking points.

Kubler is on the entry list for both the Australia F9 and F10. The F9 starts on November 16, so it's only one week off. With no ATP ranking points as yet, Kubler will have to play qualifying unless given wildcards. Personally I think authorities would be crazy not to give Kubler at least one wildcard given his recent success.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.