Mens Tennis Forums banner

Why Are All The Flukes At The AO?

5K views 62 replies 31 participants last post by  Litotes 
#1 ·
Schuetmug, Mugzalez, Clemug, Tsongmug, Mugdull, Mugdhatis, etc.

I'm starting to think it's fixed. Discuss.

#10 ·
Mugdull??
Indeed, Gonzalez beind runner up in a GS is a real disgrace for tennis :facepalm:
Mugthread :eek:
too obvious lad

you forgot muger frauderer
It's nothing compared to RG 2009, biggest fluke since God created Earth 6000 years ago.
No. The biggest flukes happen at the USO, with Mugray and Nadull winning it. :eek:
Yes.

This.

Mugposter :eek:

I did :facepalm:

Dull winning a single match is a bigger fluke.

No.

Reactions: uxyzapenje
#3 ·
Indeed, Gonzalez beind runner up in a GS is a real disgrace for tennis :facepalm:

#12 ·
friend , the biggest fluke was nadull`s us open , I mean , that gs that he won with a challenger level with guys like verdasco and youznhy (old) in QF and semis!!!! at least federer played many rg`s finals , nadal the maximun in us open was semis and in all semis he was humilliated especially by delpo , but when the courts were more slows nadull can complete the grand slam by the happy of the ATP that did all the things for that , especially slown down arthur ashe.

all the 2010 was a really fluke , all the big platers in patetic levels.

#41 ·
Or these players were simply playing excellent tennis in their own right.

These runs by unexpected players are amongst my fonder memories in the sport. They acquired something which today's underdogs could only dream of. Balls, obviously.

People have bitter memories of Clement reaching the final, because seemingly almost everyone wanted and expected Grosjean to do so, but it doesn't take away from the fact that he strolled past a young Federer, beat former champion Kafelnikov and edged out Grosjean himself in an extremely close match, playing creative tennis and daring to approach the net, especially for a smaller man.

Schuettler was a rock, if not fortunate of the withdrawal of Safin and the fact Roddick was playing at 75% due to his marathon against El Aynaoui. He played fearless tennis up until the final where the wheels fell off.

Baghdatis played magical tennis. There was just a sense of inevitability that he would reach the final and if it weren't for his legs, I think Federer would have had to have played one of the most clutch matches of his career to win.

Gonzalez and Tsonga hit the form of their careers. Both served well and dominated from the baseline, with Tsonga's drop volley's never better.

People can say that it was because Nadal, Djokovic and Murray hadn't yet reached their prime, without judging the performances on their own merit, because either they can't remember them nor care to see them but every one of these players played a level of tennis worthy of a grand slam finalist.

The answer to your question is that nobody exactly knows why, each of these men probably have different reasons. What they all have in common is that they were physically and mentally prepared. Without the grind and troubles of the tour, I'd imagine that these players physical and mental bruises would have healed and that they come back onto the tour feeling refreshed and looking forward to the first big one of the year. There's no doubt that these players proved mentally stronger during that fortnight than any in their career so I'd be more inclined to go with the inkling that their mentally approach had been resynthesized.

#15 ·
True dat. But AO shenanigans are more recent.

#14 ·
Freakyman has a point. Mugrin Cilic did make his first and only grand slam semifinal at the AO. :superlol:

#17 ·
#19 ·
...But it's not a gif...

#21 ·
You agree? Well now I disagree.

#28 ·
Players often use the "off season" to reinvent themselves, be it physically, mentally, or technically. Many of them have had a chance to implement new coaching staff and approaches. Accordingly, their confidence is at an all-time high. The losses haven't started piling up, and there's no source of disbelief. Their opponents, on the other hand, are often quite taken aback. It's a perfect storm for "hot" players.

It helps that the AO, especially before it switched to plexi-pushin', probably best accommodates modern players. And as the first major, players are at their freshest for the event. It's probably why it seems to host the most thrillers.

#31 ·
lol @ people blaming a one month offseason on players not doing so good at the aus open
though the heat a different story :p it can get hot in melbourne in january and most of the players dont come here early enough to get used to the conditions

Reactions: Julián Santiago
#33 ·
Don't forget Mugdasco, almost finalist in 2009.

RG had a lot of flukes when its surface was slow clay and there were underdogs such as Costa,Verkerk,Galo Blanco,Meligeni... who were capable of demolishing top ten players

#39 ·
Great thread.

I suggest to lock it and ban the OP.

#49 ·
1. Moya wasn't too much of a fluke because he got to another GS final.
2. Costa won his title more than a decade ago (When I said flukes, I meant fairly recent)
3. Ferrero wasn't too much of a fluke because he got to another GS final.
4. Gomez won his title more than 2 decades ago (When I said flukes, I meant fairly recent)
5. Chang wasn't too much of a fluke because he got to another 3 GS finals. ; Chang won his title more than a decade ago (When I said flukes, I meant fairly recent)
6. Verkerk is 1.

#51 ·
But Verkerk or Gaudio diddn't have any great results even on clay besides that. I don't think there were flukes because there's no such thing, they diserved to win and reach the final. Cases like Costa maybe or Moya were different, because they don't have great results outside clay, but aside from their RG title they have some other achievements on clay.

#54 ·
Gaudio was a tough hardcourter against Federer. He was up a break in the final set of the Toronto match, but threw it away versus Federer.
Coria totally stopped functioning in the 2004 French Open. He realized he could win a Slam.
It doesn't matter now...because he prefers retirement more than choking many Slams away again & faking
that he contended for more Slams (unlike Hewitt & Roddick).

#57 ·
I never said that other flukes don't happen...

#62 ·
Regarding the Australian Open, Kuerten was the prime example of a big name player that preferred to relax and enjoy the brief off-season, rather than training hard and preparing himself for the Australian summer, unlike someone like Agassi who would run up and down hills. He was usually so sluggish at the start of the season.

The rebound ace surface really should have suited his game pretty well. However his Australian Open record was absolutely terrible for player of his ability, with a 3rd appearance in 2004 his best result in Melbourne, and with him losing more matches than he won there (8 defeats from 15 matches).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.