Mens Tennis Forums banner

Guga's articles

38K views 417 replies 52 participants last post by  TNX1.0E6TOPCA 
#1 ·
Please post articles about Guga not directly related to any tournaments here.

#52 ·
Institute of Guga announces awarding winners
26/11/2004 às 15h33
Florianópolis (SC) -
The Institute Guga Kuerten announces to 20h of tuesday, in
party in the FIESC of Florianópolis, the winners of 2° Prize IGK, the
Great Social Play. They will be awardees best in the categories the
journalism, athlete, clubs and FAPS. The winners will divide R$ 12.000,00
The prize was created with the objective to show that people and
organizations, by means of responsible actions, can collaborate for
the improvement of the society. Presentations are programmed for the
ceremony that integrate the projects of the Institute.
Established in August of 2000, the Institute Guga Kuerten acts in the
areas of Special Education and Social Integration of People with
Necessities and Sport as Strategy of Integral Development of Children
and Adolescents. More than 10.000 people already had been
benefited by the entity, presided over for Alice Kuerten, mother of
Guga.
The brazilian tennis player received in March the Humanitarian
Trophy from the ATP, for his works is of squares them, in the institute
that takes his name.

#55 · (Edited)
Guga met today the president of Brazil (article from terra.com.br, babelfish translation). I posted some pics in the picture thread.

Guga recepciona Lula and gives raquete as gift

The tenista Gustavo Kuerten met for the first time, in this friday, with president Luiz Inácio Da Silva, in Florianópolis. The tricampeão of Roland Garros recepcionou him in the arrival to the catarinense capital, in the Hercílio Airport Light. Guga presenteou Lula with one of his raquetes and gave to another one for the grandson of president, João Gabriel, born in day 20 of November, in Santa Catarina.
"Lula gave a left footprint, but he cannot play very much, he has to take care of of the shoulder and to make fisioterapia, as me", Guga said. Tenista number one of Brazil still is in phase of recovery of a surgery in the hip and said that the visit of the president is an incentive for his return to the court. "It´s a gold chance that I had, to know the president together with my family. For me it symbolizes sufficiently this phase of recovery I am in", said the tenista. "For me this meeting is an incentive more in the recovery. Lula is a fighter and needed much perseverance to arrive where he is".

#57 ·
Guga receives prizes for "attitudes" off court.
09/12/2004 às 17h30
Pittsburgh (EUA) - Known for his charisma on the professional circuit, Gustavo
Kuerten one more time was awardee for his attitudes. In election of
the ATP, that pointed the 10 better moments of tennis players off court
and that they had contributed for the spreading of the sport in
2004, the Brazilian received two mentions.
One of them was the trainings of a boat for that it made with the
Argentine Guillermo Coria, in beach Monte Carlo. The trick happened in
April and was in sixth place in the listing of the ATP. Another
moment, that was in tenth place, happened little before the olimpycs game,
when the tennis player loaded the torch in Rio De Janeiro.
The election of the ATP is part of the Stars Program, where the
players participate of activities with the public or the media. Always
for where it passes, Guga is one of the most requested for the
organizators to be star of interviews or activities. During the ATP
of Auckland, for example, he made a panoramic flight for the city and
was until Piha Beach to attend the world-wide championship of surfe,
one of his passions.
In ATP of Viña del Mar, was attraction of tv show and gave clinic for poor children.
In Brazil Open, participated of historical meeting with Maria Esther Bueno.
In the Masters Series Miami, it received the trophy "Humanitarian from the ATP", in central court of the Crandon Park. Already in Barcelona, he gained the prize "Note 10", of the press, he found with Ronaldinho Gaucho and he play guitar in the dinner of the Players.
Other important moments of Guga in 2004 had happened in Roland Garros,
with the "Trophy Orange", of more simpatic player. In as the semester,
exactly having competed little, he play guitar in the dinner of the
tennis players in the Masters Series Cincinnati, had a series of meeting
with the media in the US Open and did photos with Gaston Gaudio
in the Paulista Avenue, during the Challenge Brazil x Argentina.
"I thing that this only let me more motivated and happy, with
more will still to follow working in the reabilitation to come back to
play. E means what I represent for the world-wide tennis ", said one
livened up Guga from Pittsburgh, in the United States, where it is
evaluated, for the doctor Marc Philippon, who operated it of the hip
in day 21 of September.

#59 ·
An article from tennisweek.com about Nastas and CBT

Brazilian Federation President Bounced From Office

By Tennis Week
12/09/2004

The Brazilian Tennis Federation board of directors was bounced from office by a judge in Brazil who found financial improprieties. The Brazilian court removed former Federation president Nelson Nastas from his post and replaced him with Sergio de Carvalho, who owns tennis academies in the country.

Former Federation president Nastas has been charged with embezzling about $41,000 allocated to the Federation from the Brazilian government and using the money for his personal interests.

Nastas has been under fire since March when several top Brazilian pros, including three-time Roland Garros champion Gustavo Kuerten, publicly campaigned against the corruption within his administration. Chaos and controversy surrounded the federation as Kuerten, Flavio Saretta and Andre Sa led a collection of players who refused to represent Brazil in its Americas Zone Group I Davis Cup tie against Paraguay April 9-11th in Bahia, Brazil as a protest against Nestas' administration and the Federation's failure to develop young players and give current team members a greater voice in Davis Cup decisions.

"But for Brazilian tennis and the future players, I had to choose this way seeing that the current administration has made little effort to develop tennis and help the young players," Kuerten said in March. "When we win, we players are praised. When we lose, as we did against Canada last year, we take the blame, not the federation."

As part of an investigation into the Federation's reported financial irregularities, Federal police raided Federation offices in Sao Paulo and seized documents. After Jorge Lacerda, president of the Santa Catarina state federation, called for officials to launch impeachment proceedings, Nastas announced he would resign and said the Federation would stage a new election and allow the Brazilian players to select the coaching staff for its Davis Cup tie. However, the president reneged on that promise and remained in office.

Nastas, whose term was set to expire on December 31st, is now out of office and new elections for the open seats on the board will be held.

#61 ·
ATP chooses Guga to open section of relationship with fans
16/12/2004 às 16h08
Monte Carlo (Mônaco) -
The ATP announced in this thursday, Monte Carlo, the choice of Gustavo Kuerten, to initiate a new campaign of relationship with the fans,
through the site www.atptennis.com.
From January, the entity will place in air a new session, called "Fan Mail",
where the fans will be able to send e-mails and questions for the tennis players.
To initiate new campaign, the ATP, that is with all his staff of communication congregated for the annual meeting, in Monte Carlo, chose Gustavo Kuerten.
From January, the entity will place in air a new session, called "Fan
Mail", where the fans will be able to send e-mails and questions for
the tennis players. To initiate new campaign, the ATP, that is with all his
staff of communication congregated for the annual meeting, in Monte Carlo, chose Gustavo Kuerten.
"We, of the communication and the Stars Program, choose Guga
being because his is the most charismatic player and simpatic of the circuit and he has a great relationship with the fans" said Benito Perez Barbadillo,director of Communications of the ATP and Relations with Latin America.
"Guga goes to start our first Mail Bag", continued Barbadillo,
remembering that Guga has an image admired for all. "He attracts fans
in any place of the world and has a positive and very important image
for the circuit."
With 20 titles conquered , between them the tri champion of Roland
Garros and the Masters Cup of Lisbon, and 43 weeks in the leadership
of ranking world-wide, Guga is one of the great names of the history
of the tennis.
Currently, he loses for Andre Agassi, Roger Federer and Lleyton Hewitt
in number of titles in the circuit and is only 10° player of history
in number of weeks as number 1 of the world, to the front of Andy
Roddick, Marat Safin, Carlos Moya, Boris Becker, Mats Wilander and
Patrick Rafter, among others. When finishing the year 2000 as leader
world-wide it ranking, winning the Masters Cup of Lisbon, the
Brazilian if became the first South American to reach such fact and
the first player to defeat Pete Sampras and Andre Agassi, in
the same competition.
Guga continues in Pittsburgh recouping of the surgery the one that
was submitted in the right hip, in September of this year. Out court
the brazilian player also conquered some
titles as de "Presidente of Charities of the ATP", the "Humanitarian
Prize Arthur Ashe" for his action with the Institute Guga Kuerten,
gained for three times the "Prize Orange", given for the world-wide
press, and from 2004 also for the public, for the player most likeable
of the circuit and that more good it takes care of the press. It also
already gained the Prize of UNESCO, youth and civilization, had a
stamp launched in his homage for the Post offices, gained the heading
of Player Note 10 of the Spanish press, between many others would
honor.

#69 ·
Guga sanctions "Solidary Day" in Floripa 28/01/2005 to 18h57 Florianópolis (SC) - Gustavo Kuerten will be in the Kioski of the Pirate, in the Brave Beach, in this Saturday, 29 of January, promoting a social action. The objective of the event "One Day Solidary" is to collect deep for one of the projects of the Institute Guga Kuerten, Learning in the Sport, that benefits to 130 children and adolescents of low income, in Florianópolis. All the income collected in this Saturday with venda of sandwiches (R$ 6,00) and of the t-shirt of the event (R$ 30,00) will be reverted for Learning in Esporte and Guga guaranteed, that independent of rain, the "Solidary Day," goes to happen and it goes to be there, having to arrive for return of the noon. In case that rain is strong, the Institute Guga Kuerten already announced that it will continue the "Solidary Day" in the next end-of-week (6 February), with the objective to collect more mount of money for the project Learning in the Sport, that currently is 100% banked for the IGK, with the partnerships of the Lagoon Yacht Club, Udesc, Univali, Head and Instituto Ayrton Senna.

#70 ·
Didn't know where to post it... Anyway last weekend Guga did a little charity event in a beach where all sadwiches and T-shirts of the event that were sold would help out his chiarity foundation... They raised R$15.000 (about $5.000) :) Guga said even though it was raining and the weather sucked that weekend, lots of people visited, took pics with him and got autographs :)

#71 ·
Tytta said:
Didn't know where to post it... Anyway last weekend Guga did a little charity event in a beach where all sadwiches and T-shirts of the event that were sold would help out his chiarity foundation... They raised R$15.000 (about $5.000) :) Guga said even though it was raining and the weather sucked that weekend, lots of people visited, took pics with him and got autographs :)
oh, were you there?

#73 ·
PennyThePenguin said:
june...guga's a better choice cos i think he'd make more effort.... marat gives me the impression that he'd rather sleep or eat than answer fan mail. even though he's really nice to fans.
I know that jiat. how can you compare us with food and sleep if we talk abt Marat? :p just kidding. while I promise I would send him some delicious food if he answers fan mial. ;)

thanks a lot for the info, Tytta. :worship: glad to hear that Guga enjoys his life besides tennis. :) I wish I was there too!!!

#74 ·
Tytta said:
I think the event is to raise fund for Guga's institute?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.