Mens Tennis Forums banner

Guga's articles

38K views 417 replies 52 participants last post by  TNX1.0E6TOPCA 
#1 ·
Please post articles about Guga not directly related to any tournaments here.

#283 ·
So does that mean that Guga calls it a day? Damn it.

#292 ·
Brazil adds former No. 1 Kuerten as reserve for Davis Cup
Aug. 21, 2007

SAO PAULO, Brazil -- Three-time French Open winner Gustavo "Guga" Kuerten will be a reserve on Brazil's Davis Cup squad that will face Austria in the Davis Cup World Group playoffs next month.

The winner of the Sept. 21-23 tie in Innsbruck will advance to the World Group.
Kuerten, ranked 661st by the ATP, has a 2-7 singles record this season, his first playing regularly on tour since hip surgery in September 2004.
"Guga's presence is always important," Brazil captain Francisco Costa said Tuesday.
Costa, a former player who took over the squad in February, selected Flavio Saretta, Ricardo Mello, Andre Sa and Marcelo Melo for the tie against Austria, the Brazilian tennis confederation said.
The 30-year-old Kuerten, ranked No. 1 in 2000, won the last of his 20 titles in February 2004. He won the French Open in 1997, 2000 and 2001.
Brazil is trying to return to the World Group for the first time since 2003.

Source: http://cbs.sportsline.com/tennis/story/10311913/rss

#293 ·
Great.
Thanks for the article.

#294 ·
Kuerten contemplates retirement if he fails to become competitive again

The Associated Press
Published: September 12, 2007

SAO PAULO, Brazil: Three-time French Open champion Gustavo Kuerten said for the first time that he may retire from professional tennis if he fails to stay competitive in 2008.
"My goal is to try to gain more confidence and feel conformable for the singles tournaments, and I think next year I need to be feeling that way and competing at a high level," the 31-year-old Brazilian said in a press conference on Wednesday. "If I can't, I'll probably opt to do other things and plan the end of my career."
Kuerten, ranked 662nd by the ATP tour, has a 2-7 singles record this season, his first playing regularly on tour since hip surgery in September 2004.
He said he will try to play in "two or three" more tournaments this year.
"The goal today is to extend my career," he said.
Despite the lack of good results in recent years, Kuerten had always dismissed the option of retirement.
Kuerten will be a reserve on Brazil's Davis Cup squad that will face Austria in the Davis Cup relegation-promotion playoffs Sept. 21-23. Brazil is trying to return to the World Group for the first time since 2003.
The Brazilian, ranked No. 1 in 2000, won the last of his 20 titles in February 2004. He won the French Open in 1997, 2000 and 2001.

Source: http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/09/12/sports/LA-SPT-TEN-Kuerten-Retirement.php

#295 ·
NOT KUERTENS FOR GUGA YET

Three-time French Open champion Gustavo Kuerten is hoping to return to the ATP singles circuit in 2008.

The Brazilian is flying to Madrid on Friday to play in the doubles of the Masters Series with Carlos Moya, but he is aiming to make a singles comeback after having to rely on wild-cards for the past two seasons.

"I still believe I can return,'' said the 31-year-old, who has been hit hard by injuries in recent years.

"I want to play singles next year.

"Although I will not play in as many tournaments as I used to, I still feel pleasure when training, competing, taking Brazil's name abroad.

"I truly miss being part of the circuit and want to keep myself active, competitive. I'm going to Spain very motivated. This is one another challenge in my career.''

Source: http://www.sportinglife.com/tennis/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=tennis/07/10/11/manual_121149.html

#300 ·
Can anyone translate this one please? :) All I understand is that it has to do with the investigations on the ATP tour

Guga pede investigação séria da ATP, no caso das apostas

Número um do mundo durante 43 semanas, o tricampeão de Roland Garros Gustavo Kuerten pediu, nesta sexta-feira, que a ATP faça uma investigação séria e que o problema das apostas e resultados manipulados seja resolvido, o mais rápido possível.

“É importante haver uma boa investigação, não só no tênis, mas em todos os esportes, em que há uma lacuna muito grande para os mais interessados se aproveitarem. Este problema tem que ser resolvido rápido, para não correr o risco de manchar o nome do esporte,” disse Guga, que está em Florianópolis, onde participou do 4º Encontro dos Projetos Esportivos do seu Instituto, o Instituto Guga Kuerten.

Guga também falou que nunca foi abordado por agentes de apostas e que sabe que o jogo em que derrotou o italiano Filippo Volandri, no Brasil Open, por 6/3 6/1, em fevereiro, está sendo considerado suspeito. “Nunca fui abordado e nunca recebi nada de ninguém. Sempre que entro em quadra, entro para ganhar. O que me lembro, no Brasil Open, é que o Volandri estava machucado e não tinha muitas condições de jogo.”
Source: http://guga.com/?show=NoticiasBR&idioma=BR&menu=7&submenu=1&item=noticias&idnot=4577

#303 ·
Translated :)

What THE GUGA has been up to lately

Nov3rd07 GUGAs plans for 2008

Guga still does not have plans for 2008 Of The On-line Tribune C

ome of one season frustrating and coexisting doubts on its future in the tennis, Gustavo Kuerten uses to advantage the year end to relax in Santa Catarina and not to think about you square them.

It was the Imbituba in this Saturday and conferred of close the Brazilian stage it WCT, the world-wide elite it surfe. Former-number 1 of the world still said not to know that matches will dispute in 2008. "the principle, game alone in the year that comes.

I am of vacation and seeing what I go to make in the next season. This year I arrived until Madrid and, later, I go to congregate itself with the Larri (Steps, trainer) to see the calendar of the next year ", discloses.

When standing out that it will not come back to play this year, the catarinense of 31 years discourages those that waited to see it in Aracaju, in an event of exhibition in December. Limited for the injury in the hip that moved away it from the fight for the first positions of ranking world-wide of tennis, Guga already not surfa as before, but does not hide the passion for the preferred pastime, that the aid to relax.

In the WCT of Santa Catarina, the tricampeão of Roland Garros lived Brazilian a different experience in ground: it was not the center of the attentions of the public. "Here, the Kelly Slater has one appeals very great. For that it conquered, he infects the people. It is a great example, is one face that arrives at the reach of all ", says the tenista on the world-wide octacampeão, that already until visited the house of Guga.

In the hour to give a pitaco on who this year will be the champion of the WCT, the Brazilian was politically correct. "Mick (Fanning) goes to finish being the champion. But if Kelly (Slater) to earn, goes to be deserved ". The information are of the Esporte.com Globe.

#304 ·
Anna K., with some kind words to and about GUGA!!!

Kournikova waits that Guga follows playing

Russian Tenista is in Rio De Janeiro for session of photos of a mark of footwear

tenista Anna Kournikova is in ground Carioca for a session of photos, as star of the campaign of grife of footwear American K-Swiss. In press conference in the Copacabana Palace, in the afternoon of this tuesday, the Russian athlete demonstrated euphoria to the speech of the Brazilian Gustavo Kuerten. - I know that in last the three or four years it suffered with injuries, but he am a person who has very charisma. It played so well, its style was very empolgante, and waits that it continues trying. With certainty, it it inspired many young in Brazil.

Coincidence or not, Kournikova disputed its last Grand Slam in 2003, when still it had 22 years. For the world it are, the Russian more is requested by the beauty of that for the results in it squares. It never gained a match of simple of the WTA, but on the other hand she conquered 16 matches of pairs. Its better rank in ranking of simple was 8º place in 2000. For the pairs, already it was in the top in 1999.

http://globoesporte.globo.com/ESP/Noticia/Tenis/0,,MUL171930-4434,00-KOURNIKOVA+ESPERA+QUE+GUGA+SIGA+JOGANDO.html

#305 ·
20/11/2007 - 20h56 Of eye in matches of simple, Guga already trains in the next week Of the UOL Sport In São Paulo

After disputing matches of pairs, Gustavo Kuerten comes back to focar only the competitions of simple in the next season. Still far of the good form that took it to the leadership of ranking world-wide, the Brazilian initiates in the next week the training to eye in the great matches.

Tricampeão in Roland Garros, currently the Brazilian occupies 676ª position in ranking of entrances of the ATP. After a modest performance in the beginning of the year in simple, Guga disputed matches in pairs, but also it did not get success. "I want to play simple, not to be alone in the pairs and to play the great matches", affirmed the tenista during an event of awarding of the Institute Gustavo Kuerten.

During the ceremony, that counted more than on the presence of 600 people, between them the tenistas Andres Sá and Marcelo Melo, Guga made question to homage its brother new Guillermo, who died in last day 7. "[ does not have as not to feel the lack of the GUI brother who had 28 years ] and not to remember the joy of it, still more at these moments.

The Institute comes if becoming one of my great objectives and goes dividing my time between squares them and the IGK ", said. With the objective to come back to compete well in the next season, Guga initiates physical work in the week that comes in the academy of its Larri technician Steps.

#306 ·
Almost like the one above!!!

Guga delivers prizes in social project and says that it comes back to treinos 20/11/2007 to 18h39 Florianópolis (SC) -

Gustavo Kuerten announced in Florianópolis that will come back to the treinos toward season 2008 in the week that comes. Its declaration after came in this tuesday the ceremony of delivery of prizes of 5º Prize IGK - the Great Social Play -, project that the catarinense created. Its deceased new brother, Guillermo, also were remembered in the event.

"This is plus a conquest of the IGK. Every year this event moves, but of this time if it became more special. It does not have as not to feel the lack of the GUI and not to remember the joy of it, still more at these moments. The Institute comes if becoming one of my great objectives and goes dividing my time between squares them and the IGK ", counted Guga.

"But in the week that comes already will be training, in the academy of the Larri, for the season of the year that comes. I want to play simple, not to be alone in the pairs and to play the great matches ", declared the former-number 1 of the world, reaffirming its will to come back to squares them.

Guga wrote a text for Guillermo and, to the side of the brother Rafael, it delivered to the trophy Guillermo Kuerten, of the special category of the Prize, to the Alice mother. It enters a delivery of prize and another one, pupils of the APAES of different regions of Santa Catarina and pupils of the Esportivos Projects of the IGK, if they had presented in palco, all with related subjects the joy.

"This sample pra people that if everybody to make a bit, give to make some thing and I always believed very this. It is impressive what they obtain to make and this goes infecting, "said Guga, that also delivered the trophy to journalist Viviane Bevilacqua, for its substance" a Worthy Oldness.

" Between the journalists, in the category television, he won Edmilson Ortiz, with the substance "Surfe for Blind people," and in the fotojornalismo the champion was the Maurício Vieira, with the photo "Love Without Limits."

The category Social Projects premiou the Association João Pablo II, with the "School of Candle and environment," and the Educative Action, the teacher Raquel Pacheco, with the "Hygienic cleaning of the quantity of our library."

#307 ·
#308 ·
This is back from 2001 or so....BUT really good q and a with The GUGA!!!

Lots more here!!! http://www.latinosportslegends.com/2001/Gustavo_Kuerten_interview.htm

Q - You like to surf on the Internet every day. What are your favorite web sites?
A - Of course, my favorite is my website, www.guga.com.br. I log on it very often to chat with the fans and read what they think. I also surf on www.globo.com to

see the Brazilian news, especially on sports. I also go to www.clicrbs.com.br to read my local newspaper from Florianopolis and on www.camerasurf.com.br to see the waves.

#309 ·
http://www.atptennis.com/1/en/2007news/guga_awards.asp

PLAYER NEWS
Florianopolis. Brazil
November 22, 2007

Kuerten Makes Emotional Appearance at Institute Ceremony

Former World No. 1 Gustavo Kuerten made an emotional appearance at the fifth annual Gustavo Kuerten Institute Awards ceremony in his hometown of Florianopolis earlier this week.

The ceremony praised the efforts of people, who work for social inclusion and spread solidarity in the Santa Catarina state of Brazil.

The evening was made more poignant as less than two weeks ago his 28-year-old brother, Guilherme, who suffered from cerebral palsy, died.

“This evening, every year, is very special,” said Kuerten. “It is a moment where we can award and also enjoy everything that our projects have learnt along the year, but this time it is even more special, because we can’t help missing my brother Guilherme, who truly enjoyed the event and being handicapped, also took part in several of the projects we work on.”

Kuerten, with his older brother Rafael, presented the special trophy of the evening to his mother Alice. The trophy was dedicated to late younger brother.

“This year’s name of the event is Happiness, and Gui was the perfect translation of pure happiness,” said Kuerten. “Even without speaking he was able to show happiness all the time.”

Kuerten was invited onto the stage by popular Brazilian singer Raimundo Fagner to sing Guga’s favorite song ‘Noturno’.

“It is an honor for me to have Fagner here and it is an even bigger honor to sing with him. I hope I haven’t embarrassed him,” said Guga afterwards.

Kuerten’s girlfriend Leticia and fellow tennis players Andre Sa and Marcelo Melo also attended the event.

The Gustavo Kuerten Institute has helped more than 25,000 people since it first opened seven years ago. The Institute works with projects for people with special needs and with sports projects for children who are socially challenged.

Next week Kuerten intends to be back to Larri Passos’ Academy, to start preparing for the 2008 season. “I want to play singles and not only play doubles, so next week I am gonna be on court getting ready for the next season.”

The 31-year-old, who has been slowed by a continuing hip problem, was limited to only nine ATP level matches (2-7) this season.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.