Mens Tennis Forums banner

The poker thread

15K views 187 replies 41 participants last post by  out_here_grindin 
#1 · (Edited)
Is there some poker addicts on here ?

I admit being one, I play about 30 hours a week (live and online) and make some money with (though I'm far from making a living with).

I am a huge fan of HSP (High Stakes Poker) cash game show on GSN and NBC poker after dark sit and goes too...

My favorite pro players are: Greenstein, Negreanu, Farah, Ivey and Antonius.

I'm looking forward to playing the WSOP main event in Vegas this year :cool:

#2 ·
so you like Negreanu :yeah:

i'm not the kind to play (i'm not allowed yet :eek:) but when my net is down or when i'm bored i use to play texas hold'em on my pc. and also give my mates some poker lessons in free classes at school :devil:

i used to like Ram Vaswani (is that spelled right :eek:?) what happened to him :awww:? i haven't seen him in a major competition (as the masters series or WCH ) for...like 2 years :eek: maybe my tv coverage is not proper :eek:.

Anyway,Texas hold'em is best style me thinks :)

#4 ·
hmmmm you need too many skills on Omaha,you need to stay focused too much :p

do you play big man's blind too (not online :lol: )?

G
#6 ·
I'm more into Omaha High or 7 card stud, of course go back to basics and play Texas hold'em every now and again as well.

I used to spend a ridiculous amount of hours playing online, still play but not as much these days.

#31 ·
Interesting article for those who still think poker is all about luck :angel:

http://www.fulltiltpoker.com/pro-tips-archive.php?player=Ben Roberts&tip=98

"How Much Luck? How Much Skill?
Ben Roberts
March 30th, 2007

View Player's Tips

Back to Pro Tips Archive

If you've ever sat at a poker table, you've invariably heard the questions asked in the title of this article. While all serious players believe poker is a game of skill, they don't always agree on how skilful a game it really is. Some people believe the skill to luck ratio falls at somewhere around 70% - 30%, while others argue that the ratio is closer to 90% - 10%. If you ask me, however, I'll tell you something you won't hear from almost anybody else. Poker is 100% skilful.

Now, I know many of you are already skeptical about how I can make this kind of claim. What about bad beats? Or the times you're out-drawn on the river? How can I not figure these kinds of situations into my thinking? The fact is, I already have. Variance is part of poker and it would be highly unusual if bad beats didn't occasionally happen or if two-outers didn't sometimes hit on the river, as this would defy the laws of probability. The fact is, these kinds of events should have less of an impact on your overall results the more you play.

If you only play a few hands or a few hours of poker at a time, luck will undoubtedly play a bigger factor in your results than if you play regularly. For example, let's look at a player who puts in eight hours a day, five days a week, for 50 weeks per year, which is equivalent to 2,000 hours at the table. Assuming this is a solid, smart player who doesn't vary his or her stakes throughout the course of the year, I believe their talent will outweigh the effect of luck to ensure that they produce positive results year after year. That's not to say this player won't run into the occasional rough patch or have losing sessions, but by sticking to their game plan, these occasional down-turns shouldn't adversely affect their bottom line.

In effect, all players get paid for every good decision that they make and penalized for their bad ones. By continuously making high-quality decisions over the course of so many hours, skilful players should make more good decisions than bad, and see their bankrolls grow as a result. I have done this for more than 33 years, and know many other professional players who have produced similar results for many years. What this shows me is that, over the long haul, luck is not only insignificant when it comes to your results - it's non-existent.

It takes a true professional to look at poker in this way, and I fully expect that many people will disagree with my conclusions. That's why I'm holding a scheduled chat session entitled "Poker - Luck or Skill" on Full Tilt Poker at 15:00 ET (3PM ET) on Saturday, April 7th. I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have about my position and further explain why I believe that, over the long term, luck has nothing to do with being a winning poker player.

Ben Roberts"

#38 ·
was the poker online rooom for our little clown brain closed today or why did the fool go to trolling in the Nadal forum today? :confused:

must still hurt that Nadal slaughters Federer hard on clay and that Federer only got his mickey mouse win in Hamburg, but on big stage it is Nadal who wins :haha: :haha:

#40 · (Edited)
:lol: :lol: I missed that my friend Jogy added his 2 cents to the thread (off topic though) :hatoff:

Back on track, the WSOP ME is about to begin, who do you think will win, another luckbox amateur or a confirmed pro ? The field should this year be huge again (over 8'000)...

Unfortunately I won't play it so no shot to become the next millionaire.... :sad: :eek:

I hope Antonius make a good run, last week Poker After Dark was brilliant, he just owned Booth heads up :cool:

#41 ·
I can't see a pro winning it but the best bets are Ivey, Cunningham, Hellmuth and Antonius if a pro is to win it all. The older pro's tire mentally and throw their chips away and the agressive pro's end up being sucked out on which is to be expected if they are playing a load of big pots with ameteurs. The 50k HORSE event is happening now and many argue that the winner of that is the REAL WSOP champ because it's almost all pro's.

#42 ·
i played a lot during my first 2 years in college, not so much last year. we would play like 10-15, sometimes 20 people, $20buy in, winner, 2nd and 3rd get money, winner 65% 2nd 25% and 3rd 10%
won a couple of those. never got into online poker with real money, because its :bs: you win like 10straight hands and then lose next 15 :lol:

#47 ·
WSOP HORSE 50k, 21 players remaining at the end of day 3, with 18 ITM...

Some great names as expected:

Amnon Filippi - 2,343,000
Kenny Tran - 1,959,000
Bruno Fitoussi - 1,248,000
John Hanson - 1,215,000
David Singer - 1,017,000
Freddy Deeb - 963,000
Tim Phan - 889,000
Barry Greenstein - 700,000
Mike Matusow - 696,000
Gabe Kaplan - 625,000
Thor Hansen - 537,000
Chris Reslock - 536,000
Greg Raymer - 504,000
Mark Gregorich - 386,000
Justin Bonomo - 295,000
Stephen Wolff - 263,000
Dewey Tomko - 248,000
Noah Jefferson - 167,000
Daniel Negreanu - 149,000
Patrick Pezzin - 102,000
Max Pescatori - 81,000

#49 ·
Barry made the final table :cool:

The action continues today, final eights:

Amnon Filippi 4,015,000
Freddy Deeb 3,500,000
Kenny Tran 2,445,000
John Hanson 1,995,000
Barry Greenstein 1,995,000
David Singer 1,330,000
Bruno Fitoussi 895,000
Thor Hansen 40,000

$2,276,832 to the winner, go Barry and outplay that field (as he gives his tournament wins to charity :worship: )

#50 ·
Only 4 players remaining in the 50k HORSE... Barry is out :sad:

A Frenchie is leading, don't know who's the last Frenchman to win a bracelet...

Bruno Fitoussi 6,815,000
John Hanson 3,135,000
Freddy Deeb 2,890,000
Amnon Filippi 1,580,000
Kenny Tran 0
David Singer 0
Barry Greenstein 0
Thor Hansen 0

#51 ·
Deeb took down the Frenchman HU... Well done Freddy :yeah:

"Freddy Deeb is the new Iron-Man of Poker! After five days of play, ending with a final table that went 341 hands and lasted more than fourteen hours, Freddy ended up with all the chips. He wins one of the most coveted titles in poker, a gold bracelet, and a whopping $2,276,832 first place prize. Congratulations Freddy!"

#53 ·
I just watched again the ME 06 final table... Sick how Gold ran good, he hit every single flop, numerous suckouts... :eek: Cunnhingham almost everytime took the right decision, made huge laydowns and got knocked out on a flip against the luckbox who called his pre-flop all-in with KJ off-suited..

#54 ·
The WSOP ME has just ended (phew, exhausted, I just stuck 16h on the livestream).

The new Word Champion is: Jerry Yang

He had an amazing run in the final table, walking on water throughout this 7th day... Very loose aggressive play, and got lucky when needed.

Another journeyman world champion though :zzz:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.