Mens Tennis Forums banner

HBO game of thrones - anyone watching?

112K views 2K replies 180 participants last post by  Spectator75 
#1 ·
I love the books, and wondered whether anyone was watching the HBO series.

#297 ·
I think Theon is great and Alfie does a fantastic job with him. I like that his story is being told. People should not expect the tv series to be a carbon copy of the books. The tv audience has certain expectations.

I agree GRRM should get a move on. He should have learned his lesson from the likes of the late great Robert Jordan who died before he could complete his epic Wheel Of Time series aged 58 as well as one of my all time favourites, the legendary David Gemmell who died aged 57 before he could complete his Troy trilogy.

These things happen :eek::eek::eek:

#302 ·
If you saw his stump today I would say it was pretty infected alright, but Qyburn can do more than just cure infections...

Other than that, this episode was even better than last one in my opinion. Selyse was more creepy than in the books, poor Shireen seemed to almost melt Stannis' heart of iron (but not quite), Jamie/Brienne continues to deliver, Jon knows where to put it (and that...) and Hound-Beric had the most awesome fight in the series so far!

#304 ·
I've just finished catching up on all 5 episodes... Well, there are things that I like, and also things that I don't like.

I think the biggest problem I have with the series at the moment is the way they cut up the story into lots of different bits. I understand the difficulty of keeping up with all the different storylines going on at the same time, and I know that if they decided not to show certain characters for an episode or two, the fans of said characters would complain, but... I really have the feeling that the choice they have made is the worst choice.
In my opinion, showing little pieces of each story just kills the rhythm, and the various scenes lose a lot of intensity. I don't know if it's just me, but I cannot really get engrossed in a story if it keeps switching from one plot to another. I like the tension to build up, I don't like to have it taken away from me again and again.
I think they should have bigger "bits" of each story at a time, even if they have to leave out some of the storylines for one episode or two. The Theon storyline, for instance, is pretty useless. In the books, no one knows what's happening to Theon, and no one really cares, for that matter. We don't need to see this now.

What I really liked was, obviously, Daenerys. Her story can be a little boring sometimes (especially when it is cut into small bits and nothing really happens...) but when it gets epic, it really DOES get epic.
That scene with the dragon reminded me of the season 1 finale, which is, I believe, still my favourite scene in the entire series so far. I love the actress as well, she is just perfect.

I also rather appreciate the Jaime and Brienne storyline. I was a little disappointed at the scene when Jaime loses his hand (it happened so quickly and the episode just ended there, rather abruptly, instead of being an "OMG!" moment it was more like "er WTF?!"). But otherwise, I love these two characters, and I think the actors really deliver. The bath scene and Jaime's explanation about the Mad King's death is one of my favourite moments.

One thing that keeps pissing me off is the portrayal of Loras Tyrell.
Apparently some people are rejoicing because it is already huge for an American series to show openly gay characters, but, really, in my opinion, it's not much of a progress to show gay guys if that means you automatically have to turn he and Renly into walking stereotypes (even altering their characters to turn them into wealklings and make them more "effeminate" as they did with Renly, and as they are also doing with Loras to a lesser extent). It's not much of a progress either if a character like Loras Tyrell, who is rather important, is almost reduced to being nothing else but the "gay guy", as if filling that function made him unfit to be anything else.
I mean, both Loras and Renly are supposed to be rather badass at jousting and fighting. They are no weaklings, neither of them. Sure, they are a bit ridiculous because they are vain, arrogant pretty boys, but they are STILL pretty badass. Loras in particular is an excellent fighter (at least in tournaments). But you never really see that in the series.
I was waiting for them to finally show this aspect of Loras, and when we saw him sword fighting, I thought "finally!" Except that about 2 seconds later, they simply turned this scene into another reminder of "HEY Loras is the gay guy!" and this had to turn into a "seducing the squire" scene which led to a completely pointless scene of gay sex.
I am perfectly fine with the idea of showing Renly and Loras as gay, since it's pretty obvious from the books that they are both gay, but why couldn't they just simply be great knights, charismatic people with real fighting ability and class, AND also be gay? I just don't see the need to change their characters, actually, to me, this decision is not a good thing for the representation of gay people (since they seem unable to see gay people as something other than the stereotypical image) and it is not a good thing for the characters either (since they are reduced to only this dimension).

#305 · (Edited)
I've just finished catching up on all 5 episodes... Well, there are things that I like, and also things that I don't like.

I think the biggest problem I have with the series at the moment is the way they cut up the story into lots of different bits. I understand the difficulty of keeping up with all the different storylines going on at the same time, and I know that if they decided not to show certain characters for an episode or two, the fans of said characters would complain, but... I really have the feeling that the choice they have made is the worst choice.
In my opinion, showing little pieces of each story just kills the rhythm, and the various scenes lose a lot of intensity. I don't know if it's just me, but I cannot really get engrossed in a story if it keeps switching from one plot to another. I like the tension to build up, I don't like to have it taken away from me again and again.
I think they should have bigger "bits" of each story at a time, even if they have to leave out some of the storylines for one episode or two. The Theon storyline, for instance, is pretty useless. In the books, no one knows what's happening to Theon, and no one really cares, for that matter. We don't need to see this now.

What I really liked was, obviously, Daenerys. Her story can be a little boring sometimes (especially when it is cut into small bits and nothing really happens...) but when it gets epic, it really DOES get epic.
That scene with the dragon reminded me of the season 1 finale, which is, I believe, still my favourite scene in the entire series so far. I love the actress as well, she is just perfect.

I also rather appreciate the Jaime and Brienne storyline. I was a little disappointed at the scene when Jaime loses his hand (it happened so quickly and the episode just ended there, rather abruptly, instead of being an "OMG!" moment it was more like "er WTF?!"). But otherwise, I love these two characters, and I think the actors really deliver. The bath scene and Jaime's explanation about the Mad King's death is one of my favourite moments.

One thing that keeps pissing me off is the portrayal of Loras Tyrell.
Apparently some people are rejoicing because it is already huge for an American series to show openly gay characters, but, really, in my opinion, it's not much of a progress to show gay guys if that means you automatically have to turn he and Renly into walking stereotypes (even altering their characters to turn them into wealklings and make them more "effeminate" as they did with Renly, and as they are also doing with Loras to a lesser extent). It's not much of a progress either if a character like Loras Tyrell, who is rather important, is almost reduced to being nothing else but the "gay guy", as if filling that function made him unfit to be anything else.
I mean, both Loras and Renly are supposed to be rather badass at jousting and fighting. They are no weaklings, neither of them. Sure, they are a bit ridiculous because they are vain, arrogant pretty boys, but they are STILL pretty badass. Loras in particular is an excellent fighter (at least in tournaments). But you never really see that in the series.
I was waiting for them to finally show this aspect of Loras, and when we saw him sword fighting, I thought "finally!" Except that about 2 seconds later, they simply turned this scene into another reminder of "HEY Loras is the gay guy!" and this had to turn into a "seducing the squire" scene which led to a completely pointless scene of gay sex.
I am perfectly fine with the idea of showing Renly and Loras as gay, since it's pretty obvious from the books that they are both gay, but why couldn't they just simply be great knights, charismatic people with real fighting ability and class, AND also be gay? I just don't see the need to change their characters, actually, to me, this decision is not a good thing for the representation of gay people (since they seem unable to see gay people as something other than the stereotypical image) and it is not a good thing for the characters either (since they are reduced to only this dimension).
yes completely agreed...too many stories at the same time. way too many.

but what pisses me off the most is how they built this hate towards the "bad guys" just to have it delayed all the time and come with ridiculous ways for them to turn the tides. how lucky can they get?
then with so many stories and so much delay it feels like the story with the lannisters should have ended long ago but it keeps on dragging like it's the main story?
then joffrey suddenly dissapears? they make all these improbable "fixes" now to redeem these characters...like there is any way i would feel sorry for them :eek:

fantasy is one thing but they messed up bad imo...they ruined the logic of the show because it has all come down to "guessing" what is going to happen tho everything is guessing. the fights, who will die this or that.

cmon people just wanted to see joffrey get his but the wait was so long and they threw so many stories that they ruined the show.

#311 ·
I am quite sure they will have it, but he will be with Gilly instead when it happens (it kind of makes sense that this would be when he got more hearth involved so to speak).

#320 ·
It would probably be very difficult to list all the characters I like since I like most of them...

The characters I'm disappointed in in the TV show are :
- Loras (for reasons explained above),
- Roose Bolton: Not only did they diminish his importance by replacing him with Tywin (when Arya was a servant at Harrenhall), but I also think that the actor is physically very unimpressive compared to the description made in the book. Bolton is supposed to strike fear in people's hearts, and much is said about his cold, pale eyes. I just don't see that in the show.
- Theon Greyjoy : I think the treatment epitomizes the idea that giving a character more screentime to "flesh him out" does not necessarily make him more interesting... I just don't see the point of what they're trying to do with him.
- Jon Snow : I can't say the actor is not right for the role, but I just don't find him that interesting. Maybe it has to do with the fact that Jon does not do much while he's with the wildlings, apart from f***** Ygritte, basically.

Otherwise, there really aren't many characters that I dislike. Most of the casting decisions were spot on, sometimes I disagree with the way they are overdoing the characterization of certain characters (Catelyn's monologue about not loving Jon Snow, ahem) but otherwise, all the characters are interesting in some way or another.
Daenerys, Jorah, Stannis, Davos, Tyrion, Tywin, Littlefinger, Olenna Tyrell, Varys, Margaery, Cersei, Jaime, Brienne, Arya, Robb, Sansa, the Blackfish, the Hound, the Brotherhood without Banners, Ygritte, Mance... I can't even list them all, they are all pretty awesome.

There is one character that for some reason I have always liked very much: Bronn. I don't know why, I have always liked him. One of the most epic introduction of any characters in the books.
And one character that I tend to dislike is Shae. From the very beginning, I just could not stand her. In my opinion Tyrion's infatuation with Shae kind of shows the limits of his intelligence.

#321 · (Edited)
Roose Bolton still has time to be fleshed out on the screen, I think next episode will be interesting in this regard. Remember that Roose is a very discrete character that wants his more exotic character traits to not be told by other people. In the book we get to see them because Arya is just a cupbearer whose presence he pretty much ignores.

Anyway, I very much disagree your dislike of Theon's character. While I dont like them showing him walking in circles this season, Alfie Allen is doing an amazing job with this character.

The ones I am disappointed at are:

Littlefinger-In the books he doesnt walk around with the villainous look and the creepy voice that screams "dont thrust me" out loud to everyone, everyone just sees him as a finance guy who is pretty much in the background, his scheming comes to a shock to the reader when they are revealed.

Jon Snow-pretty much what you said. Just because the actor "is Jon Snow" doesnt mean he can portray the inner turmoilt of the character, beeing an avarage actor at best he fails to do justice to the difficult situation he finds himself in.

Shae-The only character that has been radically changed from the book. I cant stand her, it is the actress fault who really just fails at acting her role. In the book she was not this upstand, proud and feisty character so it makes me wonder how this will go down in future important events that you must know about. Tyrion's passion for Shae in the book certanly shows a limitation to his personality, basically falling in love with a pretty little thing who is faking a show to him. In the series it is something else that just doesnt work, she is supposed to be proud and honest but something doesnt add up.

In a show with such a large cast always some wont live up to expectations, for every character that fails to live up I think there are 2 who outshine the bookmaterial. You have:

Show Varys who is much more interesting than the book Varys.

Show Tywin that has an even greater presence than book Tywin. Charles Dance is just incredible.

Show JEoffrey is just 10 times more hatable than book Jeoffrey.

Show Robb I think is more kingly and charismatic than book Robb (mostly because of age differense)

Show Jorah is more galant and charismatic than book Jorah who was much less noble so to speak.

Show Pycelle has been added some dimensions.

Show Margeary is just on a whole different level than her book counterpart, ofcourse we never see her point of view like we do in the show.

#323 ·
I kind of get mixed up between the books and the show, but I don't think the show has revealed the whole story about Tyrion's prostitute fixation.

Also Shae! I just don't get how she's being portrayed in the show. wth? How is that going to work with the later scenes?

Also Rob Stark's wife. Just a completely different person than in the book.

#325 · (Edited)
Sophita, I think Robb got no idea the amount of atrocities that are beeing commited behind his back, whenever he is in leadership position of his army he makes sure that civilians are not slaughtered, he keeps prisoners and so on, he even (stupidly) punishes one of his most important bannermen for killing those Lannister boys.

However, you are right that the concepts of heroes and villains are questioned by the series. Tywin had been known to be an amazing hand of the kind who made Westeros prosper, he is a coldhearthed man who is terrible to the enemy and innocents in war but in peacetime he is probably the best leader in the 7 kingdoms. He kind of reminds me of Putin, the media writtes him down as this coldhearthed terrible dictator while they kind of liked the drunk Boris Yeltsin. In reality Russia has prospered under Putin and Putin and alot of the oligarchs lost power as he took back natural resources to the state, while Boris Yeltsin made his country become poorer, indebted and something to be mocked. Kind of a parallel to Tywin/Robbert.

Robert wanted to be a hero but also needed to have the Targaryan children killed so Tywin was the one to do it without asking to ease Robert's conscience. For me Tywin is a realworld villain, in Hollywood villains such as him are seen as almost characters acting in absurd fashion whose cruelty has no logical explanation to it. Tywin is really the most reasonable character in the series, the ones who like to think of themselves heroes look like fools, like if they live in a world of illusions and this is something that Jamie likes to make fun of.

Jamie unlike his father want nothing to do with the power game and all the nescessary evil that comes with it, his whole life has been about one broken illusion after the other and he just doesnt care about anything (except his swordfighting, sister and brother). When he starts losing those few things he care about, he almost goes back to dig into those illusions he left deep inside him when he was a young man. Brienne's naivity maybe reminds him of himself as a boy and in the beginning he mocks her for it, but in the end he comes to realise that sense of honor still means something to him.

#326 ·
Completely agree with all this.
About Robb, he may be unaware of what's happening... But that does not really count in his favour. He is still indirectly responsible for letting it happen. That he is ignorant of what his bannermen are doing only shows he is a rather bad leader, probably due to his lack of experience, but also maybe to the Stark habit of being rather naive and a little thick.

BTW the videos about the Lannisters were awesome. I agree that the girl is pushing it a little too far by claiming that Jaime is a "good guy", and it's a shame that she conveniently neglects to talk about the incident with Bran... But otherwise I think her explanations are pretty good. In my opinion, Jaime is a grey character, but overall he is closer to being a positive character than a negative one by the time you finish book 5.
You can't really say the same about Cersei. I don't hate her particularly and I understand her bitterness, but at the same time, she is morally far worse than Jaime. First, in her attitude to Tyrion, and even in her love towards Jaime. Once of the benefits of introducing Jaime POV chapters is that you realize that his love for Cersei is real, powerful, and (if I dare use that word when talking of incest) actually rather "pure". I think it really changes the vision of his incestuous love for his sister, because at first you only see the disgusting side of it, and then you start seeing it as somehow tragic and idealistic in a fucked-up kind of way. You cannot really say the same about Cersei's feelings for Jaime, though, she seems far less "pure" and more calculating and bitchy.
Of course the fact that Jaime is so much in love with his sister while she is such a bitch is a bit difficult to understand.

Another thing I hadn't noticed (I'm realizing I have forgotten many, many things from the books) is that Sandor Clegane was supposed to cry at the end of his duel with Berric.
To be honest I did not remember this, but I understand why fans are mad at this omission. It is pretty obvious that the show thought Sandor had to be badass and that in order to remain cool and badass, he could not cry. It's sad to see that they are sacrificing complex character development and trading it for used-up clichés, as always...

#329 ·
She is the only terrible actress/actor in the show. Yes, she is not even pretty.

I think the only scene I liked her in was when she talked about her fish pie with Varys in season 2, but then again any scene with Varys is gold.

I hope we get to see as little from her as possible, more Margeary and Olenna instead.

#338 ·
Anyway, to go back to reasonable discussion. I thought last night's episode was rather crap.

Transition episode if I ever saw one... Small bits of transition in every story, pretty much. We saw Sam and Gilly for about 5 minutes, then nothing. And they repeated that for most stories.

This being said, I enjoyed that scene between Olenna and Tywin. I'm almost sure it was completely made up, but it was still good.
The Tyrion/Cersei scene was good, and so was the Littlefinger/Varys scene (but when do these two ever fail to entertain? ^^)

I also enjoyed seeing a bit more of Roose Bolton. I still don't like the guy's appearance compared to book Bolton, but he was good in that scene.

Oh, and also, I found the Robb/Edmure scene rather hilarious! Robb lecturing his uncle about not letting his selfish yearning for a happy marriage get in the way of their great cause! :lol:
Robb, remind me, who was it that stupidly married some unknown girl and broke his alliance with the Freys? :D

Last thing: I was quite surprised to see them make so little of Theon's torturer's taste for flaying. I mean, they like to insist on that kind of stuff, I was expecting it to be far more gruesome. Not that I'm complaining, though.

#339 ·
This is the last moment for the audiance to take a last breath before chaos reigns, that scene with Ygritte and Jon on top could be seen as cheesy but it is really as happy and a romantic moment that we will ever get in GOT. For the first time I could buy their story arc.

Next episode will be amazing for sure, George RR MArtin wrote it and it will involve some of my favorite moments in the book.

Also, in the preview it looks like Theon will get....oh my, I hope it is not what I think it is. Be careful for what you ask for.

#342 · (Edited)
They have divided book 3 into 2 parts, so early season 3 is really buildup for both end of season 3 and season 4. Which will all be a wild ride. They are also filling in some characters that should have been introduced in season 2.

Jon's love story is not filler, it is a major part of his character development.

Melissandre is not filler, she has a major role in this story.

Theon's story is really about presenting his captor, that is not filler. If you read the books you should know why.

Filler is: Littlefinger beeing overexposed, there will be plenty of time in the future for him. Though I did like his speech.

Shae scenes. Yeah, it leads somewhere but the route the show has taken makes me wonder where that is.....also, the actress is horrible unlike lets say Iwan Rheon and Alfie Allen.

Bran having quite meaningless dreams, they havent dealt with his story arc very good so far. Go on with his warg powers now rather than later. Please.

Podrick the sexgod. Ok, rather funny. But seriously?

#352 ·
Come on, the last episode was pretty amazing. With a TV show you're never going to have the budget for Lord of the Rings-scale action, so they rely on the politics and backstabbing a lot, which makes for great viewing. One of the few genuinely smart shows on TV.

#350 ·
As I said, Mel getting there is also inexplicable. I mean wtf. In the book you got the sense that the Riverlands were a barren wasteland where you don't go unless you want to be killed (and sexually abused (my first choice of word was censored) depending on gender).

Now Mel strolls into the hideout of these supposedly uncatchable outlaws like there's a sign in front of it :facepalm:. Apart from that it makes perfect sense.

#356 · (Edited)
Last couple of episodes were really tedious IMO. I'm not complaining about the lack of action, but about the poor writting. Many dialogues were cringe-worthy IMO, especially the ones with Shae (as usual), but also Ygritte and Robb.
Bran's story is not going anywhere.
And this season lacks a final purpose. I know it will finish with a bang but there's little to suggest that from the season so far, when you knew in season 2 that there would be a battle between Stannis and Lannisters. The tension built up, whereas in season 3 the event will happen just like that.
A shame because I thought episodes 3 to 5 were excellent, but the last 2 quite didn't do it for me.

#367 ·
Might as well change the series name to Game of Porn. This last episode was a waste of time.

I got spoiled for that one by reading a thread about the show. I was furious, especially because I was a few hundred pages away from it. And I already knew about the other shocker.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.