Mens Tennis Forums banner

HBO game of thrones - anyone watching?

112K views 2K replies 180 participants last post by  Spectator75 
#1 ·
I love the books, and wondered whether anyone was watching the HBO series.

#74 ·
Charles Dance does a splendid job as Tywin. Best character in the series. I cannot stand Tyrion. People with physical problems annoy the fuck out of me.

@ The above. Don't tell me what to do, you respect me. If i want to discuss the novels here with the real fans, i will do so. I really hope Stannis fails to take back the north from the Boltons. The Boltons are my favorite house in the series.

#76 ·
I cannot stand Tyrion. People with physical problems annoy the fuck out of me.
Says an awful lot about you as a person that you would be annoyed by physical disabilities beyond a person's control.

#78 ·
Great episode this week. I always like it when a show changes up its structure and focusing on one location for the whole episode was a very good decision. I think the problem with this season, compared to the first, is that we have been spending time with some characters more out of obligation than necessity, so it was good to tighten the focus and feel the full weight of the events.

#90 ·
No. :(

I've seen a couple of episodes of this series on and off. They seem to be using a lot of sex and female nudity to attract male viewers and cover for the fact that the storyline isn't particularly interesting. Very cheap. :no:
Not saying/implying it's right/wrong/whatever but the nudity in this show is quite standard-issue for HBO. It's actually been toned down in season 2 compared to season 1. I suppose if you're looking for a "clean" show, you wouldn't be watching a HBO show. It's sort of like going to Las Vegas and complaining about the strippers.

#87 · (Edited)
Only Stannis and Tywin Lannister have the commanding aura of bad-assery you expect from men in their position. Good casting choices. The actors make it believable they could lead armies in battle, something you can't say for the majority of "kings" and "queens" in the series.

Season 2 has been suffering a little from budget constraints (I think) but the latest episode was great. It's very expensive to do episodes like #9 and some previous episodes obviously paid for it.

Just look at how many long and drawn out conversation-scenes there are in S2 just for some minor detail with so many important and bigger things going on somewhere else. The filler-material was less obvious in S1.

The success of season1 probably wasn't helping with keeping the salaries down either. Shouldn't complain really because the quality is still top notch for TV but it was so great in S1 you start to compare it to real movies and have the same expectations. I sort of wish they had a few more millions to put into every episode now when the real action has begun

#89 ·
The storyline is VERY interesting, but HBO seems to think that adding scenes of female nudity to scenes where male character talk (like wtf was that scene between Bronn and the Hound last night :stupid:) is necessary when it's not.

Great scene on Sunday. Wish GRRM could write all the episodes, but if he did, we'd never get the next two books :eek:

#91 ·
Sadly, the nudity is a selling point for HBO. Sometimes it is over the top but at least it is not at the level of their competitors Starz and Showtime.

Game of Thrones hasn't been too bad though. There was one scene of pure exposition with Littlefinger in which Roz and another whore pleasured eachother while he spoke. There really hasn't been anything else as bad as that. It's also featured some male nudity.

From what I've heard, sex and nudity are also prevalent in the novels.

#92 ·
I rewatched season 1 about a week ago, and the gap in quality between that and season 2 is pretty wide.

I just think they did a messy job of unveiling the plot at the beginning of the season, and then filling the later episodes with unnecessary crap (sex scenes, improvised scenes). There was an aura to Season 1 where the writers really paid attention to detail about everything, while they really started drifting away in this one.

Lena Headey, while hot, is a crappy actress. Her lack of range kind of gets annoying when you are begging her to show more fire/emotion.

Although Stannis will always be my epic choice, I can see where the audience has a hard time cheering for him when he disappears for 4 episodes after Renly's death.

#93 ·
Finale tonight was :eek:

I was looking forward to the House of the Undying scene more than anything else this season and my disappointment is off the charts.

Robb yelling at Cat and getting married under the blessings of the Seven was :stupid: and I couldn't really tell what the deal with Qhorin and Jon was because of how vague the scene between them in episode 8 (I think) was. The Arya, Tyrion and Theon stuff was good, other than that, I feel kind of underwhelmed.

#94 ·
I'm happy I haven't read the books because that gives no expectations. Last episode was alright. A bit too many stories and too little time but it did a fair job. I agree the House of the Undying thing was anti-climatic, especially when they hyped it up so much.

They must consider 12 or even 20 episodes a season. Not gonna happen for $$$-reasons but one can wish. Would do wonders for the pacing and character development.

#95 ·
I'm happy I haven't read the books because that gives no expectations. Last episode was alright. A bit too many stories and too little time but it did a fair job. I agree the House of the Undying thing was anti-climatic, especially when they hyped it up so much.

They must consider 12 or even 20 episodes a season. Not gonna happen for $$$-reasons but one can wish. Would do wonders for the pacing and character development.
same, i'm glad that daenery was barely featured in the finale. i feared that the house of undying crap would go on forever. it was overall much better than season one finale and the last five minutes were erection inducing. i think 10 episodes are fine when they start killing off the boring useless characters.

#98 ·
Personally, I loved it except for how they handled Winterfell's razing and Jon's fight with Quorin. Stannis was awesome.

The house of the undying would've been really spoilery if they adapted it right out of the book. They would've also had to cast someone for Rhaegar. Aesthetically, I really loved the snow in the iron throne and felt bad for Dany when she knew it was all a trick because she'll never be able to have children.

Kinda pissed they killed off dorreah though, what a hottie.

#99 ·
The last episode was pretty lame IMHO, so many scenes happened out of nowhere and were left unexplained :eek: I was so confused

#100 ·
Season finale was meh, the ending was pretty promising though.

You know you've made it as a show when the Simpsons did this as a hommage;

#101 ·
Why did Jon kill the other guy?

I was a huge Dany fan at the end of season 1, then got bored with her in season 2, and am now back on the bandwagon after seeing how awesome she was with the dragons and pretty much during the entire sequence at the house of the undying. Also...my poor Tyrion. :awww: Thank goodness he's alive but what a fucked up, ungrateful family he has.

I think this show would benefit from having 2 more episodes too. Things feel a bit rushed as they stand.

#103 · (Edited)
Why did Jon kill the other guy?
Because he wanted the wildlings to think Jon was a traitor to the Night's Watch so he could infiltrate their camp. Jon kills him to prove that he is no longer loyal to the Night's Watch in the hopes that the wildlings will believe his betrayal and take him in and he can become a spy.

They explain it so much better in the books :eek:

#102 ·
Game of Thrones would definitely benefit from being 12 or 13 episodes long, like most cable dramas are. I guess the budget wont stretch that far.

Surprised everyone in here disliked the finale though. Much like season one, the climax of the season came in episode 9. Maybe that has something to do with it.

#106 ·
Game of Thrones would definitely benefit from being 12 or 13 episodes long, like most cable dramas are. I guess the budget wont stretch that far.

Surprised everyone in here disliked the finale though. Much like season one, the climax of the season came in episode 9. Maybe that has something to do with it.
i wasn't one of them. i loved the finale and overall season 2 was much better than season 1 were everything was spoon fed to the viewer.

#104 ·
Season 1 > Season 2. Gratuitous female nudity is beyond ridiculous. So transparent and so annoying :eek: Final episode was OK. I guess if you've read the books you can't help but be underwhelmed. Only Arya , Tyrion and Stannis stood out his season. I'm a huge fan of Danny's but her season 2 was average at best. Love the dragons though...

#108 ·
I love this series. The books are amazing, and the tv show has been almost as good.

I'm in the camp that Season 2 is better than Season 1. The showrunners stuck to the main story but also found the confidence to make changes when necessary to make better television and the story more accessible to non-readers. Many of the changes were really good like Arya/Tywin for example. Then again, I've never been one to care about changes to source material as long as the major storylines aren't altered. It makes it more interesting to me in some ways.

I think Alfie Allen, Sophie Turner, Peter Dinklage, and Lena Headey were the real standouts this season but everyone was great. Can't wait for Season 3, it will be crazy.

#109 ·
Alfie Allen really gave Theon some soul this season. Definately one of the best performances in season 2 in my opinion.

Hated him when he took over Winferfell but the little brother of Lily Allen gave me my sympathy for Theon back.

How awesome was this?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.