Mens Tennis Forums banner

Beijing the right choice for 2008 games?

3K views 108 replies 20 participants last post by  Lin Lin 
#1 ·
#3 ·
It is a total joke that they get the 08 games. China has a lot to do before they can host the olympics. It's a case of too little to late.

And I wonder what the air quality will be like. I'd hate to be a marathon runner there.

I just hope it backfires just like the TMC. I feel sorry for any Chinese athletes, hell I feel pain for everyone in China. I can't imgine the pressure all the divers and gymnasts must be going through right now. It's soo fucked up their. I remember reading stories about gymnasts who didn't win gold and how they were basically shunned from society in China. In Athens they had far and away the top mens gymnastics team and they didn't even medal. Why? It's their culture. Government will kill their family if they don't win gold. :lol: I have to search for some articles on this.

#8 · (Edited)
Hey, I wasn't joking. I think he is here, actually. But he just watches and doesn't say anything. It keeps me awake at night.
If England, Costa Rica, Australia and, say, Argentina are in the same group, I will cream my boxers.

Edit: England, Costa Rica, Australia and USA in the same group. Oooohhhh, I creamed them anyway, just thinking about it.

#9 ·
same story, different twist.

http://news.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=2259762005

"It was a pretty disturbing experience. It is gymnastics, and that sport in particular has to start their athletes young, and China is pretty unremitting in its drive to win the gold medal tally in Beijing, but I was really shocked by what went on."

In a report for the BBC he described how during a visit to the school he found one boy in the gym with red marks across his back after apparently being beaten by his coach.

His translator spoke to one of the gymnasts and reported: "The boy told me if they made a serious mistake, the coach beat them. They take it as a normal thing. The boy said they don't hate the coach - they think that's a good thing, that the coach cares about you. They like you, so they train you strictly."

What makes me angry is that these treatments of their own people are openly accepted. It's not a secret that parents give up their children to the government for hopes of fame, money and glory for their nation. Their a backward society.

#10 ·
Bad Gambler: I just came back from a restaurant located on the same block as the San Jose transvestite hookers' turf. I have to admit some of them looked as good as your avatar. But the food was bad, so I guess I won't be back.

#11 ·
If Western countries want to lay this, the training of children athelete, on the Chinese government as bad human rights record, then, it's another proof of forcing their traditions and beliefs without understanding the culture of another race. This kind of training long exist before the communist government came into power.

And Joed, this kind of training also exists under the British government. Look at Jackie Chan, the training he had when he's a boy and that was in Hong Kong, the British Colony at that time.

I'm not saying what the coaches did is right but I won't classified that as abuse.

#12 ·
Lee said:
If Western countries want to lay this, the training of children athelete, on the Chinese government as bad human rights record, then, it's another proof of forcing their traditions and beliefs without understanding the culture of another race. This kind of training long exist before the communist government came into power.

And Joed, this kind of training also exists under the British government. Look at Jackie Chan, the training he had when he's a boy and that was in Hong Kong, the British Colony at that time.

I'm not saying what the coaches did is right but I won't classified that as abuse.

That's an alomost decent point lee. Problem is this easten pre-communist technique you speak about does not lie in accordance with the IOC.

You may want to check that comment you made regarding the Brits and Jackie Chans training in Honk Kong. It's a little :retard:

The point isn't wether or not it's classified as abuse. Under these circumstances to hit a child is wrong. If you don't want to call that abuse then you stupid.

#14 ·
"When I talked to the vice-principals, they said hitting was against the law, but then there were parents who want you to do it. "

that is so wrong, poor kiddies. it does help, though. depends on the personality of the kid. i guess there are only a few who would fight against it but the rest would just follow. they must be really good.
i think maria sharapova's father did the same. i have that feeling... and it's so often in russian families. at home i mean...

#15 ·
Washa Koroleva said:
"When I talked to the vice-principals, they said hitting was against the law, but then there were parents who want you to do it. "

that is so wrong, poor kiddies. it does help, though. depends on the personality of the kid. i guess there are only a few who would fight against it but the rest would just follow. they must be really good.
i think maria sharapova's father did the same. i have that feeling... and it's so often in russian families. at home i mean...

Putting a gun to their heads helps also. Also threats of killing family members.

I'd hate to say it, but I think America conquering the planet by way of influence is not a bad thing afterall.

#16 ·
G O said:
Putting a gun to their heads helps also. Also threats of killing family members.

I'd hate to say it, but I think America conquering the planet by way of influence is not a bad thing afterall.

I'm not saying it's right and far from a good thing with a gun.
If you fear someone and can't escape, most people would listen and do what they have to do. That's definitely not right.

#19 ·
Lee said:

Something like this. But he/she is Chinese and thus is getting a little defensive. It's annoying when people do that, but understandable I guess :rolleyes:

#21 ·
Washa Koroleva said:
Oh yeah, I see. It's not right though .
It's just that sometimes it's the only way to make people do something.

Well if that "sometimes is the only way to make people do something" then I think they need to find something else to do or accept that maybe it's ok to finish second.

"This is the breeding ground of our Olympic heroes. They make us proud of being Chinese."

It's the quote above from one of the school officials that bugs me. To the Chinese it's all about pride and being a "hero". If you win sliver, you a loser in that culture. A little too much pressure I think.

#22 ·
joeyd2005 said:
I was always opposed to it being given the Olympics, and after reading this it really does back up my thoughts, terrible human rights.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/gymnastics/4445506.stm
Oh ok... but it's fine for your jackass Prime Minister to team up with George Bush and go over to the middle east and kill thousands of innocent people? and destroy many more lives?

You sound like an ignorant git, so your double standards don't surprise me.

:retard::retard:

And as for the training methods - your mentality just goes to show why Britain has been rather void of sporting champions in recent times. They are breeding you lot far too soft nowadays, which also explains why so many foreigners have been recruited to fill this void (eg. the English cricket team).

#23 ·
G O said:
It is a total joke that they get the 08 games. China has a lot to do before they can host the olympics. It's a case of too little to late.

And I wonder what the air quality will be like. I'd hate to be a marathon runner there.

I just hope it backfires just like the TMC. I feel sorry for any Chinese athletes, hell I feel pain for everyone in China. I can't imgine the pressure all the divers and gymnasts must be going through right now. It's soo fucked up their. I remember reading stories about gymnasts who didn't win gold and how they were basically shunned from society in China. In Athens they had far and away the top mens gymnastics team and they didn't even medal. Why? It's their culture. Government will kill their family if they don't win gold. :lol: I have to search for some articles on this.
...and the New York air quality is to die for ;).

#25 ·
G O said:
That's an alomost decent point lee. Problem is this easten pre-communist technique you speak about does not lie in accordance with the IOC.

You may want to check that comment you made regarding the Brits and Jackie Chans training in Honk Kong. It's a little :retard:

The point isn't wether or not it's classified as abuse. Under these circumstances to hit a child is wrong. If you don't want to call that abuse then you stupid.
:retard:

and your pretty little american drug users are in accordance with IOC rules?

hard training is not cheating, injecting yourself with artificial substances is - I'm speaking of Lance Armstrong, US womens' swimming team of past years, US athletics team, and so on and so forth.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.