Mens Tennis Forums banner

Beijing the right choice for 2008 games?

3K views 108 replies 20 participants last post by  Lin Lin 
#1 ·
#79 ·
If you feel like bashing China without talking about the whole picture, that`s easy... I can do that too ;) I could find lots of reasons to talk shit about any country. I just like to put things into perspective...

BTW, like a Uruguayan writer said, Statistic is the discipline according to which, if one man starvs and another man eats 2 chickens, each one eats one chicken. :p

#101 ·
BTW, like a Uruguayan writer said, Statistic is the discipline according to which, if one man starvs and another man eats 2 chickens, each one eats one chicken. :p
He was pretty dumb. All the data proves is that the average consumption is one chicken per person. Statistics will never tell you what ''each one'' does. It was invented to do the opposite, by definition, and tells you what the average is.

#80 ·
lau said:
If you feel like bashing China without talking about the whole picture, that`s easy... I can do that too ;) I could find lots of reasons to talk shit about any country. I just like to put things into perspective...

Lau and others it's been a blast, but I'm afraid I'm going to be leaving now.

Soon enough China and America will go to war and it will all be over.

Some parting thoughts

Some nations are more evil than others....they have to be...it is FATE! :eek:

#82 ·
Wow didn't expect this many responses to this thread already...

If they are hitting and abusing the young boys, then they should not be allowed the 2008 Olympics. If this is the case, as it's not been confirmed.

Bush and Blair have nothing to do with this subject, and I don't like either.

#88 ·
China is an excellent choice to stage the event :rolleyes: Makes me wanna puke:
http://letustalk.wordpress.com/2008...-and-mongolians-from-bars-deports-christians/

Introduction to Chinese Human Rights 101. In an effort to ‘clean up’ Beijing and for “reasons of safety”, bars are forbidden to serve blacks and Mongolians during the Olympics and the Chinese government have deported Christians because they think they will cause trouble!
Bar owners around the Worker’s Stadium in downtown Beijing say that public security officials are telling them not to let in blacks and Mongolians or allow dancing during the Olympic Games next month — many of them have even had to sign a pledge reports the South China Morning Post, a Hong Kong newspaper.
Street musicians are being banned, and so is the purchasing of medicines containing “stimulants” without a prescription. Public places must close by 2 a.m., and bar owners are being asked to remind their clients that they must always have an identification document with them.
Last September, police detained dozens of blacks in the Sanlitun bar district and according to witnesses, beat some with rubber truncheons. The son of Grenada’s Ambassador to China reportedly suffered a concussion from being clubbed on the head by police.
Police with dogs raided an African-owned bar this week and required blacks to provide urine samples to test for illegal drugs.
“When the police come, you have to run,” a woman from Liberia said. “I’ve lived in Holland and the United States and it was never like this. There is no ‘human rights’ here. It’s racist and it makes me feel very bad.”
Africans and Mongolians are perceived as criminals by Beijing authorities and have been included with other ethnic groups, political activists, outspoken entertainers and Christians as potential sources of trouble during the games.
It is also rumored that bars within two miles of the Olympic buildings will be able operate, for the duration of the Olympics.
In some areas, tables are not permitted outside, because “the presence of too many foreigners gathered outside could create problems”.
There is also an attempt to shut down outdoor musical concerts, to prevent disorder. Jazz musician David Mitchell says that it is increasingly difficult for his band to find places to play in Beijing “Everything is aimed at creating stability, but they don’t understand that is precisely the unfounded prejudice that foreigners have of Chinese society - that it is a highly controlled and not a very cultural place. It seems completely self-defeating”.
To guarantee a “clean” Olympics, a doctor’s prescription is now required for 1,993 commonly used medicinesor the package must show a warning that the medication contains substances believed to be stimulating and not permitted for the athletes.
Meanwhile, as of July 20 a new regulation went into effect prohibiting millions of vehicles from driving on city streets even though the three new subway stations are not yet working - Zhou Zhengyu, deputy director of the Beijing Municipal Committee of Communications, is unable to say when the subways will open.
Evidence of the secret pledges with police can be observed by the new practice of some bar owners who have recently begun charging black patrons twice the admission fee charged other customers.
While police denied any such activity, and most bars denied knowing about the prohibition, African residents in the city say that harassment by the authorities and discrimination at the bars has increased.
It has also been reported that China has started a crackdown on Christians and Christianity in advance of the 2008 Games including the expulsion of more than 100 foreign Christians in China in a 90-day period — the biggest assault on the presence of Christianity in China since 1954.
I’m so excited; I can’t wait to get to Beijing. I won’t have to deal with blacks or Mongolians in bars! When Mongolians drink Tsingtao (Chinese dark beer) and when blacks drink Crown Royal they get so crazy!

#91 ·
Only other one that could possibly be worse is Berlin in 1936, not good company for Beijing to keep. Unless you consider it a good thing for the governments of both to be mass murderers.

But it gets me that the IOC can ban Iraq from the Olympics for the "government's interference in sports." WTF do they call what the Chinese are doing?

#90 ·
It's a disgrace they give it to China with such politics and such low fight against doping and substances.
You can as well give it to some countrys where Karadzic or some other assholes made genocides just 15 year ago.

#93 ·
No, it means we learn from the past and not make the same mistake to allow governments to get away with genocide. Allowing China to keep the Olympics is essentially an endorsement for their lack of human rights policy.

I can only hope that while the world's attention is focused on Beijing a massive pro-democracy demonstration takes place that can't be put down so easily with tanks like before.

#95 ·
So you're saying the Tibetans, Uighurs, Falun Gong practitioners, women, (this list could go on forever really) don't deserve freedom? That they should continue to be oppressed? How about the Darfuris in Sudan, where the Chinese government is the #1 contributer to state-run genocide? You're saying they don't deserve to live?

#102 ·
i dont know if this was for me, but, i was saying... China should be getting their sh!t in order before they are rewarded... not rewarded 1st with the Games, then 'hope' China will reward the world simply because their are more journalists, camera etc. in the country...

sends a pretty mixed message if you ask me...

in saying that... i think things are better now in china than in the last century... a lot more dialogue to work with...

#97 ·
It just doesn't work to mix politics and sport. If that is done, then the Olympics will be over. How many people in this thread have complained about the Soviet Union getting the games? If the Soviet Union could have them, then I guess China can. If the next games were in the US then there would be a campaign to boycott them because of US involvement in Iraq....... and so it would go on.

Just let it be that attending the Games in China, or any country, is in no way related to endorsement of the country's politics. If that is not done, then the Olympics are dead.

#100 ·
But people attending the Games are helping to fuel the economy of a government with corrupt and atrocious policies. There's no way to avoid politics and sports intertwining. The USSR never should have been awarded the Olympics, same with China, and as long as the US is in Iraq they shouldn't host them either.

It is sad that athletes who train their whole lives for the Olympics aren't able to go them, but it's a far greater tragedy for horrendous human rights abuses to continue to go unpunished.

#104 ·
It's not the world who would be rewarded, but the people of China. The CCP for sure shouldn't be rewarded for a damn thing, if anything the Olympics should have been a catalyst to oust them from power. I read an article about the 1988 Olympics in Seoul ultimately leading to the downfall of the military regime there, because the people found it the perfect opportunity to demand democracy. What could the government do, suppress it while thousands of global media agencies were there? It's why I hope something similar could happen in Beijing, there's no way there could be a repeat of the Tiananmen Square massacre.

#106 · (Edited)
The problem that the West has in understanding China is that we westerners just assume that the Chinese secretly want democracy and are only too scared by the government to say the truth. In fact, my experiences in China have taught me that for the average Chinese person, their lives are much better than just 20 years ago around the time of the Tiananmen protests, and much much better than from the 60s and 70s when China was a closed up, isolationist nation like North Korea. The Chinese I talked to about democracy and having a change in government often brought up Russia, which is now a "democracy" but suffers from some of the same abuses that China is accused of. There is no guarantee that throwing the communists out of power will provide for a stable, clean government. Some of the world's most corrupt and ineffective governments are democracies, in contrast the CCP is seen as good at what they do.

Would a political overhaul result in democracy as we see it in Sweden or as we see it in Zimbabwe? At the very least right now, even the poorest citizens in China can at least get food on the table, the middle class has great consumer power and can provide for a good education to their children, the upper class is making tons of money due to capitalistic expansion into international business. The Olympics are seen as a chance for the Chinese people to show off their own progress, and major problems still exist like Tibet, but the Chinese people, the citizens, not just the government, want to see a successful games and anything to deter it will only allow the CCP to use it as propaganda to raise support for themselves. It would not start some "democratic revolution" among Chinese common people, and without that level of support major political change is not realistic.

#107 ·
"I would remind you that Falun Gong is an evil, fake religion which has been banned by the Chinese government."
Only because in 1999 it came out that many top government officials were followers of it, and joined in the peaceful demonstration in Tiananmen Square for religious freedom. But I like how the CCP takes whatever opportunity it gets to take a stab at criticising them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.