ATP to Reconsider IW pay increase proposal - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 02-21-2013, 07:34 AM   #31
country flag shadows

shadows has a reputation beyond reputeshadows has a reputation beyond reputeshadows has a reputation beyond reputeshadows has a reputation beyond reputeshadows has a reputation beyond reputeshadows has a reputation beyond reputeshadows has a reputation beyond reputeshadows has a reputation beyond reputeshadows has a reputation beyond reputeshadows has a reputation beyond reputeshadows has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ATP to Reconsider IW pay increase proposal

I am happy with more money going into the early rounds, but I'm not overly thrilled about certain tournaments just out-pricing others.

Indian Wells already gets the silly week and a half format too.
shadows is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2013, 08:10 AM   #32
country flag duong

duong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond reputeduong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ATP to Reconsider IW pay increase proposal

Quote:
Originally Posted by star View Post
In 2013 the prize money increase was from the quarterfinals on. But this year it goes to the lower rounds. I think that's one of the things that made the players so mad. Last year when the latter rounds got more money, the increase was approved. But when a similar increase was to go to the earlier rounds, the deal was quashed.
yes, but from the tournaments' point of view, it was not only about increasing the early rounds, it was also about Indian Wells increasing a second year, everytime they present it as an "unique shot" but clearly it's not true.

Besides, from the tournaments' point of view as well (and clearly the European tournaments except Madrid from the articles, that is the ones which have less money, Moore said that Miami's IMG quite supported his offer because they have the money), the problem was that it confirmed the players in the opinion that there was some money saved somewhere which they could reach (the same as they think for slams, with the Australian open playing the role of Indian Wells, and Roland-Garros the role of poorer European tournaments) ... the problem being that not all tournaments have such money saved, Indian Wells is a special case because of Ellison.

I've never believed the argument about the share between doubles and singles : it was obviously not the point.

Seriously, I thought that with Moore's threat, the ATP had no choice but to accept because it would have been too much of a fuss from the players during Indian Wells if the prize money had been back at its minimum.

But I don't buy one minute the idea some seem to believe that Ellison is a philanthrope : he just wants his tournament to be talked about and become a major referrence. Last year he wanted to increase the late rounds because he loves Federer and Nadal, this year he took advantage of the prize money controversy in the tour to develop his position further. The tournaments tried to resist even more than they had last year, but they had no choice but to accept in the end considering the way it was presented and the context among players.

Anyway, if the players are clever enough to stay reasonable towards tournaments who have less money, it's a great news