Mens Tennis Forums banner

Commentary at its finest

405K views 3K replies 697 participants last post by  Burrow 
#1 ·
Post any noteworthy pieces of commentary that you wish to share.

#2 ·
Re: Commentary at its best

Fred Stolle on the Ferrero vs Vicente match.

"This was a good win by Ferrero the veteran over the youngster Vicente". Fred, Vicente is a bit older than JCF.

#1,289 ·

"This was a good win by Ferrero the veteran over the youngster Vicente". Fred, Vicente is a bit older than JCF.
HAHAHAHA!!!!!!! that was funny!... are u thinking about;) working on a tv show???

#3 ·

During the Nadal-Kendrick match, Aussie commentator Fred Stolle came up with several pearlers.

(towards the end of the 3rd set)
"the crowd is getting right behind this youngster from the USA."

I guess age is a relative concept - Kendrick turns 27 in a few months, while Nadal turned 20 only a few weeks ago. Not that Kendrick is a veteran, but he is certainly no youngster.

(while Kendrick was serving at 3-5 in the 5th set)
"Kendrick would love to hold serve here"

:bigclap:

(just prior to Nadal serving for the match)
"during that change of ends, Nadal ate a banana. If you recall back to the French Open, during the 5th set in his match against Paul-Henri Mathieu, he got a piece of banana stuck in his throat and had to take an injury timeout to wash it down with some water"

First of all, thanks for the story Fred, secondly, there was no 5th set.

#6 ·

During a US Open match with Hewitt.

Newcombe said:

"Come on mate we need to focus here and get a break". Newk it was not Davis Cup.

#1,290 ·

During a US Open match with Hewitt.

Newcombe said:

"Come on mate we need to focus here and get a break". Newk it was not Davis Cup.
HAHHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SMASHING!

#7 ·

During the Tennis Masters Cup in Shanghai 2005, Fred Stolle was also in red hot form:

"Croatia has a very strong group of players at the moment, with Ljubicic and Ancic representing Croatia against Slovakia in the Davis Cup final next week. And of course there is also the up and coming Tomas Berdych, who took out the Paris Indoors a few weeks ago, who could consider himself very unlucky not to be included in the squad."

#8 ·

GeorgeWHitler said:

Vamos Freddie Stolle. :D

#9 ·

its.like.that said:
During the Tennis Masters Cup in Shanghai 2005, Fred Stolle was also in red hot form:

"Croatia has a very strong group of players at the moment, with Ljubicic and Ancic representing Croatia against Slovakia in the Davis Cup final next week. And of course there is also the up and coming Tomas Berdych, who took out the Paris Indoors a few weeks ago, who could consider himself very unlucky not to be included in the squad."
Freddie = En Fuego. :hearts: :kiss: :drool:

#11 ·

Following the Nadal v Kendrick match, Fred picked up where he left off, in regards to 5 setters that Nadal has played:

"that's only the second five set match Nadal has won"

Just off the top of my head, I can recall Nadal beating Federer in Roma 2006, Youzhny at the AO 2005, Ljubicic in Madrid 2005, Coria in Roma 2005... and I guess Fred has forgotten about Nadal's 5 set win against PHM at Roland Garros 2006. :lol:

#12 ·

its.like.that said:

:spit: :haha: :retard:

#13 ·

its.like.that said:
Following the Nadal v Kendrick match, Fred picked up where he left off, in regards to 5 setters that Nadal has played:

"that's only the second five set match Nadal has won"

Just off the top of my head, I can recall Nadal beating Federer in Roma 2006, Youzhny at the AO 2005, Ljubicic in Madrid 2005, Coria in Roma 2005... and I guess Fred has forgotten about Nadal's 5 set win against PHM at Roland Garros 2006. :lol:
:rolls: :rolls:

#14 ·

Cliff Drysdale makes these guys look like John Barret, I don't even have to quote Cliff because he routinely mis-speaks, and says the stupidest stuff.

"Nadal won Doha earlier this year, where he beat Federer for only the second time" - Cliff (during Nadals first match at wimbly this year) ...don't you mean Dubai, and the third time?

Mary Carillo isn't immune to misspeaking either

"David Ferrer is a tough guy, he beat defending champion Rafa Nadal last year in Paris"
- Mary Carillo (durning Ferrer's match against Roddick at Miami). I am sorry Mary what? Don't you mean Gaudio.

#15 ·

BBC commentators on Safin match saying Marat learning it's tough being low-ranked and unseeded after being top-ranked star. :rolleyes:

Obviously everyone starts low-ranked so know it's tough already but Marat got injured and ended up low ranked before in 2003! And it was also around #90 as well.

#16 ·

I can't remember which Aussie commentator it was, I'd have to listen to the tape again.

On Martin Verkerk during his RG run : "This guy is huge and he could do a lot of damage on the grass at Wimbledon". At the time he never won a match on grass and absolutely hates the surface.

#17 ·

The worst bits of commentary I think are dished about Patrick McEnroe with his stupid sensationalism.

"EYE DROOPER!"
"GRIP IT AND RIP IT BABY"
"THAT WAS SICK!"

shut up Pmac and call it like it is.

All I need for commentary is Jason Goodall...maybe pair him up with Johnny Mac or Mary Carillo and boom...excellent commentary!

#18 · (Edited)

Peter Fleming saying Marat Safin never should have lost the match against Goran Ivanisevic in 2001 at Wimbledon. Fleming seems to have been watching a match which never happened in which Marat was in charge. :scratch:

It was fairly equal, actually, with Goran somewhat better and serving great and Marat a bit frustrated by that.

#19 ·

Comentator from Serbian national television on Feliciano Lopez: "A typical spanish player who prefers clay, but surprisingly he is giving much trouble to Ljubicic".

#21 ·

DDrago2 said:
Comentator from Serbian national television on Feliciano Lopez: "A typical spanish player who prefers clay, but surprisingly he is giving much trouble to Ljubicic".
OMG that's embarassing. Where was he at Wimbledon one year ago?

I never knew Fred Stolle was such an oblivious nut! Nadal winning just two 5-set matches? Berdych from Croatia? Please, please, someone correct him.

#24 ·

Pat Mac about Roddick "He has a great game for clay". Well he does for Houston this is true.

#1,292 ·

Pat Mac about Roddick "He has a great game for clay". Well he does for Houston this is true.

WELL! THAT ONE WAS BETTER!

#25 ·

Pat Mac is a genius when it comes to Roddick, "He's got a good slice backhand, I want to see him it more" "He's a good volleyer I don't know why we aren't seeing him come in to net more" (taken from yestersday's match)

Pmac, what the fuck are you talking about? A nice slice bh!? Good Volleyer? I will fucking kill you Pmac, just because Andy is American and you love him don't let that blind you into thinking Andy does things well that he doesn't do well. Roddick is a capable volleyer at best and his slice backhand is neutrilizing at best...

#26 ·

Fumus said:
Pat Mac is a genius when it comes to Roddick, "He's got a good slice backhand, I want to see him it more" "He's a good volleyer I don't know why we aren't seeing him come in to net more" (taken from yestersday's match)

Pmac, what the fuck are you talking about? A nice slice bh!? Good Volleyer? I will fucking kill you Pmac, just because Andy is American and you love him don't let that blind you into thinking Andy does things well that he doesn't do well. Roddick is a capable volleyer at best and his slice backhand is neutrilizing at best...
hahahahahahahahahaha from PMac. I think he drinks delusional juice.

#1,294 ·

hahahahahahahahahaha from PMac. I think he drinks delusional juice.
Well, my dear skandinavian friend, the "delusional juice thing" was the strawberry over the cake

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.