• sometime next year or longer

Votes: 6 8.1%
  • never, Nadal drifts downward

Votes: 14 18.9%

When will Nadal return to the top 4?

4K views 46 replies 36 participants last post by  born_on_clay 
#1 ·
How long can Ferrer hold him at bay?
As Rafa has nearly all the clay points to defend the earliest possible seems WImbledon, where Nadal defends R2 and Ferrer defends a quarter, but that seems like a stretch unless Ferrer misses it or Rafa wins it.

#3 ·
I voted By Wimbledon because I want it to come truth,but I'm actually not that optimistic anymore given his recent complaints about the knee and his too busy new schedule.:rolleyes:

#10 ·
this. I am sad but his recovery process doesnt go good. I wish him all the best.

#4 ·
It`s tough to say,really.A lot deppends on how well he plays but also on his schedule.When he comes back,he might not play all his scheduled events.After such a big layoff,he doesn`t know how his body will feel after playing 1 or 2 competitive events,so cutting some events of his schedule is always possible.
Also,i doubt his goal is to get back into top 4 right now.For someone who hasn`t played in 6-7 months,it`s about getting into some rhythm and play as well as possible without thinking of rankings and other stuff.

#6 ·
Never I think. He will stop playing hardcourt and grass and play only clay tournaments .

#14 ·
Probably after Acapulco. But Ferrer will probably take it back again after IW.

#20 ·
"By Wimbledon" in my mind would mean on time to be seeded higher for Wimbledon,

but from the OP it seems it means after Wimbledon,

then it's impossible to answer for me :shrug:

As the OP seemed to imply, it's possible after Wimbledon, but for the seeds for Wimbledon it's extremely unlikely.

Precisions :

for RG seeds at the moment : Ferrer 5560 Nadal 2090

for Wimbledon seeds, counting additional grass points :
Ferrer 5655 Nadal 990

#26 ·
No, I meant by Wimbledon, as in going into the tournament. This is very unlikely considering the points they defend, but definitely not impossible, as Nadal seems to be playing at lot of the tournaments Ferrer won last year in South America. Also Ferrer is over thirty and may not defend many points for a number of reasons. Again this I think it's unlikely but many people apparently don't.
I for one don't see it happening this year tbh, unless Ferrer gets some unlucky draws.

#24 ·
This would still require Nadal to slightly improve his points from last year before W and then reach the W final, if Ferrer matches his points until but not including W.

It's interesting several posters think he won't be impeded by the absence at all. It would make him the first male player ever to come out from such a long break all cylinders firing.

#27 ·
It will depend on whether he comes back without any health problems or injuries. Even now after eight months off, he says his knees still hurt. I don't see much future in that, unfortunately. :shrug:

#28 ·
he's going to sweep clay season.

#30 ·
Never again and I'm dead serious.

He's going to play with pain next week, how well do you guys think that's going to end?

#31 · (Edited)
Clearly being out from the game for what...over six months (?) is not great. But players like Roddick played with tendinitis throughout their careers - he lasted until he was thirty before calling it quits.

So it's not impossible to see Nadal getting back to some kind of form, even if he has to continue to play with the pain.

Edit: I just checked Roddick's ranking history - dropped out of top four never to return in 2007 (he must've been about 25). So maybe you're right. Obviously, I appreciate that there are some major differences in Nadal and Roddick's games, etc...

#33 ·
Probably not going to be anytime this year, but if it does happen, most likely after Wimbledon.

#34 ·
I personally think Nadal will never be the same again. He's not going to overload his body on so many tournaments, which means he could possibly be gone from the top 4 forevermore.

#35 ·
Maybe after the USO, a lot depends on his clay season.

I can't imagine nole and rafa meeting in the QF/SF

#38 ·
I voted "by the US Open" trying to be positive, but I think it's more realistic to bet "by the end of the year", when Ferrer loses his points from Bercy and so on ...

Nadal still has 4000 points to take back from Ferrer (only 2500 points from Federer) for the seeds for the US Open.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.