Mens Tennis Forums banner

Martin Cuevas

3K views 9 replies 1 participant last post by  Cuevasfan 
#1 · (Edited)
I have supported Pablo Cuevas since 2009 but in January 2011 I read this

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/DEUCE-Tennis/DEUCE-Australian-Open-2011/Cuevas-Brothers.asp

I assumed I would see them play doubles that year but Pablo sustained a career threatening injury and it never happened. However, I started following Martin and by the end of that year it seemed that he was going to have a great 2012.

In January he had a pre season training block with Pablo and returned to win his first Davis Cup Match (Uruguay vs Peru) He and Marcel Felder lost the doubles the next day and Martin took the blame. They won the tie and Martin left to play a futures in Brasil. Her 'toughed out' a win in R1 it was to be one of his few wins that year and his year end ranking fell to 1282 from a career high of 560 in the January. Early in 2013 he had minor surgery and his ranking fell further but there began to be signs of some improvement. He began to get through Futures qualifying at least. Then on 9th July he played Patricio Heras in R1 of a Futures. He lost but it was sooo close he tweeted that he drowned in a glass of water. I think it meant he felt he lost it rather than Heras winning.

A week later Martin played Heras again, he lost again but this was his first ever final! Since then he has reached two more finals but has yet to win one. He now has a career high ranking of 553.

It is hard to know what happened; he has talked about having a flu like virus in January 2012 and feeling he couldn't perform well after that. He was injured in late 2012 and had surgery early this year. He has had the emotional strain of Pablo's injury too. Pablo returned in April this year with Martin as his 'team' and most loyal supporter.

I don't like fans saying they are proud of players they support it suggests an involvement we don't have. However I have huge respect for Bebu! It must have taken guts to keep going, he often travels to tournaments on long distance buses, he has little funding and life hasn't been easy for him. He deserves this thread and some support.

See less See more
#8 ·
He lost a match he should have won in R1 in Santa Maria but he then tweeted about having a scan so I assume he is injured. He will end the year at about 520. A few months ago that would have seemed impossible. If Pablo doesn't play DC Martin will be Uruguay's #1. It is a big ask even against Dominican Republic.

#10 ·
He's had an odd start to the year, one futures tournament with an early loss. A challenger qualies R1 loss and an impossible DC tie as Uruguay's #1. He finally makes a proper start next week in Peru F1, then F2 an F3.

Pablo is in the Panama City Challenger with a good R1 tie against Reid.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.