Mens Tennis Forums banner

Peter Lundgren glorification thread

69K views 856 replies 110 participants last post by  mikomonstr 
#1 ·
When I was young (few days ago) I thought that Dasha was nice but boring...now that I'm wise and old (few days after) I find our conversations about her "including mine" very boring and redundant.

She's nice...she's ugly....she's smart...she's boring...she's awful...I love her...I hate her...He should marry her...No, please Marry me! :timebomb:

Ilhame and Kiara inspired me for this thread...(Credit to Kiara for the title)... No offense Ilhame but I really hope (even if I have doubts these days) that my thread will be more popular than yours. ;)

But I'm sure that you hope too. :hug:

Peter Lundgren deserves a glorification thread...He's the man! :worship: :worship:

I compare his relation with Safin to Yoda and Luke skywalker...The force will always be with them...
Peter: "Try not. Do or do not. There is no try."
Marat:" Yes Master."

He's a great coach...He made Marat believe in himself...he's really good with the psychological stuff...
He's a great tactician also and gave him focus and motivation.

As Misha (Marat's dad) said in his last interview, we should light a candle for Peter. :angel:

See less See more
#27 ·
Sometimes it can't be the trainer or coach's fault, but a lot of players are too pampered these days, so if they don't have faith in the trainer, they don't perform and if they don't perform for him, then they'll get sacked.

#28 ·
I meant the coach will get sacked.

#31 ·
foul, it's not the most here, but it's sad that I have reached that number.

If I didn't see him play then I wouldn't have commented on his game.

#32 ·
GeorgeWHitler said:
Sometimes it can't be the trainer or coach's fault, but a lot of players are too pampered these days, so if they don't have faith in the trainer, they don't perform and if they don't perform for him, then they'll get sacked.
Thanks to God Peter and Marat are having an almost perfect player-coach relashionship now...even if it took several months to really understand each other.

Marat said several times that they have a Teacher - Student relationship...And that's the best way...He doesn't want his coach to be his buddy...He doesn't need to go out and have a couple of beers with him.

I think it's important that a coach cares about his player, that there's an involvement because they spend a lot of time together and they depend of each other but it can't be a too close relationship - there is an invisible line that they must find.

It's hard to be a coach nowadays.

#34 ·
Peter's Grand Slam Singles Results

..............Australian Open......Roland Garros......Wimbledon.......... US Open
1985.................. -..................... - ...................-.................... 2ND
1986.................. -................... 1ST................ 2ND................. 1ST
1987.................. - ...................1ST................ 1ST................. 2ND
1988................ 2ND................. 1ST................ 2ND................. 1ST
1989................ 1ST................. 1ST................ 4TH................. 2ND
1990 ..................-.................. 1ST................ 1ST................. 2ND
1991................ 2ND................. 2ND................ 2ND .................1ST
1992................ 1ST....................-.................... -.................... -

He won two titles in 1987...but looks like 1989 was his best year in term of
grand slam results.

Do you know his favourite surface GWH?... I think that Wimbledon is his fav tournament.

#35 ·
Indoors was probably his favourite, though he could play well on hardcourts.

Towards the end of his career he was playing more doubles.

Reactions: PennyThePenguin
#40 ·
Bea, if you believe some people here 600 and do you like my new signature?

#41 ·
An itw with Peter from one of the Russian papers (sorry, I'm not v/ good in translating) :

Can you tell us how you convinced Marat not to break racquets too excessively?

I tell him incessantly that racquets have other uses. He needs to hold his anger back, I think. But that's the way he is and there's nothing you can do about it in his age. I cut off his new racquets expences significantly though. (laughter)

There are talks that you were forcing him to work in the beginning?

That is not true. Well, maybe in the very beginning... Marat is very hard-working and if he starts something he always finishes it. We train 4 hours a day and he puts 100 per sent in it every time. I can guarantee that.

And how you take Safin's love to, let's say, night life?

Marat lives a full life, he loves his friends - what's wrong with that? He's a professional sportsman and his shedule throughout a year is very demanding - constant practice, flights, tourneys. What he does in his spare time is not my business.

What is tennis' place in his life now?

The first, definitely, even the family is second to it. He's changed in many ways. He became calmer, more attentive. I think everyone noticed that.

Can you call yourself Marat's friend?

Well, of course we don't meet every night but if Marat wants to go out with me, I'm always at his side. But we don't abuse each other's company. We meet 3 or 4 times a week, we can go somewhere, just relax.

Did Marat teach you any russian words?

Yes, I know a few, but they're not for female ears. We use b-word very often when we work.

How did you celebrate the AO victory?

The final match ended after midnight, so we couldn't celebrate properly. We simply went to the stadium's bar with our friends to have a few beers. Marat was so tired, he didn't have any energy left to do something crazy. So, this time night Melbourne was safe. But we'll be back next year!

#42 ·
Thanks for the translation foul, it is a good interview with Peter.

#43 ·
How Lundgren became Federer coach:
Peter Carter, Federer's coach during his formative years, didn't want to travel. He was also not experienced as a pro. So, Peter Carter suggested Lundgren, his friend to coach Federer. Roger Federer, use to admire Rios's style of play. He is quoted saying him as the player he likes to watch.In return for that, Federer, made Peter Carter Swiss DC captain.

I have read in a Federer's interview, that Lundberg has regretted later in his career about wasting away his prime years in drinking and partying. He used that as a experience in his coaching these talented surly guys ;)

I have read somewhere that Lundgren has coached Vincent Spadea. I am not so sure about it. Also anyone has a timeline on when he coached who?

great thread, btw..

#48 ·
Lundgren never coached Spadea, he has more class than that.

Well he was talented, but enjoyed other things as I mentioned earlier, so when I did the intro thing it makes sense as to how Lundgren can handle certian players.

#50 ·
Vinny Ice was definitely spread around the grounds at the AO.

#51 ·
GeorgeWHitler said:
Bea, if you believe some people here 600 and do you like my new signature?
oh! I see.

I have the perfect reply for them:
"When six hundred years old you reach, look as good you will not." Yoda.

Interesting sig. indeed!...it inspired my new one! ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.