Mens Tennis Forums banner

Sverige, Älgar, Toker och lite annat Chat Thread

21K views 256 replies 16 participants last post by  Björki 
#1 ·
I just "discovered" that we so far did not have a real chat thread for Thomas, so here it is ;)

We should discuss everything between sky and earth here and of course, a lot Thomas and tennis :cool:

#52 ·
Here you go :)
Here is the translation of the main points:

Johansson ready for quarterfinal

Though Thomas is allergical against grass, he likes to play on it a lot.
"But I am not satisfied with this tournament yet", he says.

About the match against Mirnyi Thomas says: " This has been my best GS match in my whole career."

Thomas is older than all the other players left in the single draw of Wimbledon and he is even more than 6 years older than the next oldest, Fernando Gonzalez and Lleyton Hewitt. "I don´t want to talk about it" Thomas says with a smile.

Then he is talking about his next opponent David Nalbandian:"He is an allround player who moves very well.."
"The serve is his weekness, so I have to play agressive in this match. It will be a lot of baseline game, so I have to play backhand and try to play come to the net more often then I used to do."

Last week Thomas had such big allergical problems, that he woke up in the middle of the night and could not breathe.
Now this has become better because of the lower temperatures.
But Johansson is still hot.

So Francine, you were very good with the translation :) The things in between is not really interesting, players he lost to in the past and so on.

Sounds very good, I think, so KOM IGEN THOMAS imorgon :bounce: :yeah:

#53 ·
Francine said:
His hay fever has been bothering him because the weather was so warm and humid last week, he woke up in the middle of the night and had trouble breathing. (poor guy, he's allergic to grass :lol: ) But fortunately temperatures have gone down this week.
hes what??? :eek: :eek: :eek: allergic to grass?? OMG!!! :eek:

#54 ·
Sommarsverige said:
About the match against Mirnyi Thomas says: " This has been my best GS match in my whole career."
:awww: :D and i was there to watch it :eek: :banana:

#55 ·
ok scrap that last post...i just got what it meant...im tired had a long 2 days at Wimbledon :haha: I'm going to bed now LOL :wavey:

#56 ·
Thanks to both our translators for sharing their work with us. :)

Sommarsverige said:
Thomas is older than all the other players left in the single draw of Wimbledon and he is even more than 6 years older than the next oldest, Fernando Gonzalez and Lleyton Hewitt. "I don´t want to talk about it" Thomas says with a smile.
Don't worry Thomas, I just love old men! ;) There's no such thing as experience! :D

#60 ·
old me ;) old swedes ya mean ;);)

#62 ·
Dark Horse Johansson Riding High
Tuesday, 28 June, 2005

Thomas Johansson, at 30 years old, is the oldest man left in the men's singles quarter-final line-up. The last time the Swede advanced further than the fourth round in a Grand Slam was in 2002, when he went all the way to win the Australian Open.

In beating Max Mirnyi, who led the ace count of The Championships, in the fourth round, he secured a quarter-final tie against David Nalbandian.

Johansson needed mobility and agility to return Mirnyi's serves and won most of the exhaustive rallies. "It was one of my best matches. I varied my game well, returned and served well and succeeded in my lobs which does not happen every day," he told the Swedish tabloid Expressen.

Johansson has a decent serve and the versatile Swede's all-round game has been consistent this fortnight. At his best, he hits winning shots off both the forehand and backhand, as well as mixing drop shots and accurate lobs.

He is the last Swede to have won a Grand Slam since Stefan Edberg's US Open title in 1992. Returning from a left knee injury in 2004, he quickly clawed his way back into the top 30 in the world, and now ranks at No.22. Johansson's previous best at the All England Club was on his debut in 1996 when he reached the fourth round. He repeated the feat in 2000.

Curiously, one of Johansson's hitting partners is better known for his football skills. Tomas Brolin helped Sweden to a bronze medal in the 1994 World Cup in the USA with his goals. "He is a brilliant fan, and shouts and screams in my support," Johansson told the Swedish paper Kvällsposten. Brolin has been watching all Johansson's matches in The Championships.

His support should be welcome in Johansson's game against Nalbandian. The 23-year-old Argentine is seeded six points below the Swede's rank of 12 but his grass court credentials are impressive. He was the Wimbledon runner-up in 2002 and reached the fourth round in 2003. Last year he was unable to take part because of an injury.

Were Johansson to beat Nalbandian, whom he has never played, either Sebastien Grosjean or Andy Roddick would await in the last hurdle before the Wimbledon final.

Johansson has started the psychological warfare against Nalbandian, the bookies' favourite to win their match. He told Expressen: "If he trained harder, he should comfortably be among the top five in the world."

Asked about how to beat the Argentine, Johansson said: "It will be largely a baseline match. I have to play aggressively and hit the ball properly not to allow him to dictate the match."

http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/news/articles/2005-06-28/200506281119974686656.html

#63 ·
:banana: Thomas :yeah: we can do it!!! Positive thinking!!!

#64 ·
There is a very cute article about Thomas and Gisella in Expressen.se today.
I can also translate it later today :)

Hopefully Thomas will be already in the semifinal then ;) Kom igen Thomas :yeah:

Thomas Johansson laddar inför matchen med att mysa med flickvännen Gisella Keltenecker.
Johanssons största supporter
WIMBLEDON. Flickvännen Gisella ”Gisa” Keltenecker är Thomas Johansson största supporter.
Och – tuffaste kritiker.
– Hon brukar verkligen säga vad hon tycker efter matcherna, berättar 30-åringen.

if (!(mac && is_ie)){ document.write(''); document.write(' '); document.write(' /shared/images/ikoner/ikon_textstorlek.gif
'); document.write(' Textstorlek '); document.write('
A
'); document.write(' <div id="sizeButtonTwo" style="margin-right: 3; height: 16px; width: 16px; text-align: center;" class="button" onmouseover="hoverMe(this);" onmouseout="hoverMe(this);" onclick="selectMe(this);javascript:changeSize(85);">B'); document.write(' <div id="sizeButtonThree" style="margin-right: 3; height: 16px; width: 16px; text-align: center;" class="button" onmouseover="hoverMe(this);" onmouseout="hoverMe(this);" onclick="selectMe(this);javascript:changeSize(100);">C'); document.write(' '); document.write(' '); }

Textstorlek
A
B
C
if (window.external){ document.write(''); document.write(''); document.write('/shared/images/ikoner/ikon_favorit.gif
'); document.write(''); document.write('Spara som Favorit
'); document.write(''); document.write(''); document.write(''); }

Spara som Favorit

Skriv ut

CM8ShowAd("rektangel_ovre") Annons:

Psykkriget mot Nalbandian har redan börjat
28 juni 2005

Johansson tackar sin kompis för stödet
28 juni 2005

Johanssons härliga seger
27 juni 2005

Thomas Johanssons väg till en Wimbledontitel
26 juni 2005

”Jag vinner Wimbledon”
26 juni 2005

I dag möter Thomas Johansson den tuffe motståndaren argentinaren David Nalbandian.
I går laddade Johansson med att träna litegrann. Men framför allt tar han det lugnt med Gisa och kompisarna, som fotbollslegendaren Tomas Brolin.
– Jag gillar att ha det så på lediga dagar. Att spela fem set på gräs tar en del på kroppen.

Bor i Chelsea
Thomas och hans flickvän bor tillsammans hos hennes vänner i ett vitt exklusivt flervåningshus i Chelsea.
– Det är jättebra att bo med kompisarna, och vi har eget rum och eget badrum, säger Gisa.
Just i närheten finns ett enormt grönområde med två tennisbanor.
– Vi brukar kasta frisbee, springa lite och jag tittar på medan de andra spelar lite tennis. Det är väldigt relaxat, säger Johansson.
Gisa, som själv spelat tennis, har rest tillsammans med Thomas på hans turneringar sedan år 2000.
– Hennes stöd är jätteviktigt.
– Visst kan det vara jobbigt att fara runt, men på det här viset får vi ju träffa varandra, det skulle vi inte få annars.
– Det är dubbelt. Men vi har bestämt att när en av oss tröttnar så slutar vi, säger Gisa.

”Jag kan bli sur”
Men Johansson kan vara en riktig pest efter dåliga matcher, erkänner han.
– Det är ju inte hur lätt som helst att stötta och pusha hela tiden.
– När jag förlorat kan jag bli svår och sur, men Gisa har varit med så länge att hon vet när hon ska backa, säger Johansson.
Under Thomas ”jobbveckor” bestämmer han alltid maten.
– Det blir mycket indiskt, kinamat och japanskt som vi beställer hem. Vi äter inte så mycket pasta som folk tror, säger han.

Sitter alltid på läktaren
Gisa sitter alltid på läktaren. Och det är inte bara av tränaren han får recensioner efter matcherna.
– Jag brukar alltid få höra av Gisela vad som varit bra eller dåligt, berättar Johansson.
– Han spelade jättebra mot Mirnyj, tycker Gisela.
Paret spelar tennis ihop ibland. Thomas har slagit vad om att han ska slå Gisa med en stekpanna som racket.
– Matchen har inte blivit av ännu, han har väl inte hittat rätt stekpanna, säger hon och skrattar.

#65 ·
:awww: is she at wimbie too?

#67 ·
Björki said:
how did you copy this article? it looks strange :eek:
nice pic :)
I am at work right now, so I did not have the time to fix the article...
this is why it maybe looks strange,but I guess the content and the photo is the most important thing, or ;)

#68 ·
:eek: one of our commentators said that gisella is thomas's wife :eek: and shes wearing a ring!!! (isnt it just an engagement ring :scratch: )

#69 ·
Stefan Edberg, 39, tror på en skräll.
– Thomas Johansson kan ta sig till final, säger han.

Is this....Stefan Edberg, 39 has tipped Thomas Johansson to make it to the final?

Thomas Johansson har en otroligt stor potential.

and this...thomas has star potential?

Im just looking at articles in swedish :lol: trying to figure out what they mean

#70 ·
Yes, very good Siobhan ;) :bigclap:

The only different thing is that Stefan said Thomas has a big potential (stor = big) :)

The other article is about that Thomas says he likes to relax when he does not have to play, mostly with his girlfriend Gisella and friends, like the former Swedish football player Tomas Brolin. He says that it is hard for the body to play on grass.
Then he says that Gisella is always right out and says directly after a match what she was thinking about it.

Thomas and Gisella stay at a friends house in Chelsea and they have their own room and bathroom. Directly next to the house are tennis courts and meadows:
"we used to play frisbee, go and walk a bit and I like to watch the others play tennnis, this is very relaxing."

So Thomas is saying that it is very important for him that Gisella is with him at tournaments all the time and that she is a big help for him.

Gisella says that she now after all the time knows how to handle Thomas after defeats and when to leave him alone.
When they are at tournaments, it is always Thomas who decides the food: "We eat a lot of indian, chinese and mexican food which we order to the hotel. We do not eat that much italian food like many people think," Thomas says.

Gisella is always in the crowd supporting Thomas when he has to play and Thomas does not only get comments from his coach after the match.
"I always hear from Gisella what was good and bad in the match afterwards" Thomas says. "I think he played very well against Mirnyi" Gisella says.

Thomas and Gisella play a lot of tennis together. Some time ago Thomas was betting that he can beat Gisella with a pan, but this match did not happen yet. "I guess he did not find the right pan yet" Gisella says and laughs.

Very cute interview I think :worship:

:hug: for both Thomas and Gisella :hug:

#71 ·
aaww they are so close that is so cute :awww:

Reactions: Sommarsverige
#73 ·
Some of you might already know this, but I will leave to Båstad for 9 days tomorrow :)

I will try to drop in here from time to time, but don´t know how often...

Have a great time :)

#74 ·
:bigwave: bye bye Birte :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.