Mens Tennis Forums banner

1994-1996 : Rubin, Kwiatkowski, Halebian, Papa, Corinteli, McDonald, Donaldson, etc.

150K views 1K replies 22 participants last post by  145888 
#1 · (Edited)
I would like to start a thread to keep track of some upcoming juniors.

Name: Noah Rubin
Birthday: 02-21-1996 (15 years old)
Junior Ranking: 42
ATP Ranking: N/A
Description: Noah recently captured his first G1 title (Copa Del Cafe 2012, hardcourt) two weeks ago and is currently at a career high junior ranking of 42 with only 5 itf starts :worship:. His ranking will continue to rise b/c of this week's play at G1 Copa Barranquilla (clay); will play in the quarterfinal. He was a finalist at the Les Petits As a couple of years ago. Noah seems to have a solid game, but he seems kinda short though when standing next to Farren Connor at the Copa Del Cafe final (Connor is listed at 5'11"). However, Noah is two years younger so let's hope that he can add some inches.

Name: Thai-Son Kwiatkowski
Birthday: 02-13-1995 (16 years old)
Junior Ranking: 84
ATP Ranking: N/A
Description: Despite the name, he is not a Thai descendent :lol: :shrug:. He is actually 1/4 Polish and 3/4 Vietnamese (from local paper). He is close to his career high in junior ranking but the last couple of weeks had him focusing on futures qualifying (not very successful thus far). He has a nice forehand. Here is an old video of him from the local news: Link

Might add more players later.

See less See more
#1,193 ·
Thai-Son Kwiatkowski is probably one of the most bizzare names I've ever heard :lol:

#1,195 ·
how about George Goldhoff? He will be a freshman at Texas this year and is looking like he will be one of the top players in college tennis immediately. Knocked off the #1 seed Libietis in Tulsa in 3 sets. He was born in 1995.

#1,199 ·
Any word if Noah is leaning towards college or pro? I would think he would benefit greatly if he ll go to school for a few years. A la Schneider, who is having a great first two months in school. They have a similar phusique and a very good mental game which should make them both an asset to a good college program.

#1,202 · (Edited)
From a tennis perspective Noah playing one day of college tennis would be a total waste of time.

Only current college player/recent graduate he lost to this year was Giron, and based on Giron's recent pro results he should be playing pro by now.

He beat Evan King 3 and 3 and King was 32-5 his senior year. Noah's level on hardcourts is already high and it will continue to improve rapidly with more pro experience. This isn't even taking into account the fact that his first college matches wouldn't be until about a year from now. That's a year's time when most guys make enormous leaps forward in their ability and results.

Also, bad match for him in the first round in Niceville. He lost the last four games of the third set.

#1,203 ·
Do you think Noah is a better tennis player than Ronnie Schneider? I sort of think that they are similar in mental toughness, no real weapons, steady when the pace allows for it but really erratic when the time is taken away. Noah, I think is a better overall athlete, faster, but Schneider' s shot selection and point construction is superior. All in all, they are very even but with all due respect to both of these two, neither one of them will have a solid chance to make a living if they turn pro. They both will probably make it to the 200-300 ATP ranking, which is as we all know, hardly the ranking that allows one to earn decent living. If Noah was from a smaller country and their top player, maybe then he would have a chance to earn extra income from endorsements and contracts but being an American and not really an interesting subject for any marketing, he will have to rely on his tennis and only to earn. Tough gamble! Certainly if that is what Noah wants, then more power to him . Maybe his family has the financial luxury of giving the pro route a chance.

I heard about his college choices from a pretty reliable source but it could very well be just rumors.

#1,205 ·
At the $10,000 Futures in Bradenton, 17-year-old Noah Rubin will face 16-year-old Andrey Rublev of Russia in Saturday's semifinal. Rubin posted a 3-6, 6-4, 6-3 win over 16-year-old Naoki Nakagawa of Japan today, while Rublev, the 2012 Orange Bowl 16s champion, defeated 21-year-old Romain Arneodo of Monaco 7-6(4), 7-6(2). Rublev, the No. 8 seed this week, and Rubin, seeded seventh, have both already reached Futures finals--Rubin in the $10,000 Godfrey, Illinois Futures in July, Rublev in the $15,000 Belarus Futures in August. Rublev defeated Rubin in the first round of the ITF Grade A Italian Open this year, on red clay, not the green clay they compete on in Bradenton.
http://tenniskalamazoo.blogspot.com...tter&utm_campaign=Feed:+Zootennis+(ZooTennis)

#1,209 ·

Kozlov is joined in the quarterfinals by fellow 15-year-old Francis Tiafoe, a 6-1, 7-5 winner over Burundi's Guy Orly Iradukunda, and wild card Deiton Baughman, who defeated his second seed of the week, No. 10 Lucas Miedler of Austria, 7-6(8), 6-3.

Baughman, who reached the quarterfinals of the Orange Bowl last year, said he is comfortable on the green clay, despite growing up in Southern California.

"When I was younger, my dad made sure I played on it a lot, as much as possible," said the 17-year-old, who trains at the IMG Bollettieri Academy. "Over the last year or so, I've been training on it a lot, especially here at IMG, and it suits my game a lot."

Baughman saved nine set points in the opening set, serving for it at 5-4, 40-0 and 6-5, 40-0.

"He had a couple more set points after I got it back to deuce," said Baughman. "I just played really well and I feel he got a little nervous, and in the tiebreaker I played well on the big points."

Baughman got an early break in the second set, and finished strong.

"Overall it was a clean match," said Baughman. "I wouldn't say it's my best of the tournament, but it definitely was a clean match."

Baughman will play Tiafoe, with Kozlov and Rublev also in the bottom half of the draw.

"Last time we played it was for third and fourth place for Nike Junior Tour," said Baughman. "I was like 14 and he was like 9," Baughman joked. "I beat him up pretty good, but he's been playing some good tennis since then and it should be fun. I'm looking forward to the opportunity."

The top half of the boys draw features the only remaining qualifier, with Matias Zukas of Argentina going against No. 12 seed Naoki Nakagawa of Japan. Unseeded Fajing Sun of China will play No. 9 seed Kamil Majchrzak of Poland, who beat No. 5 seed Michael Mmoh 6-4, 6-3.
http://tenniskalamazoo.blogspot.com...tter&utm_campaign=Feed:+Zootennis+(ZooTennis)

#1,215 ·
Has there been any word on Jared Donaldson or Collin Altimirano's schedules? It's going to be interesting to track their progress this year. Donaldson seems like the most promising prospect of the '96s. In fact, you could make a case for him being the most promising of all prospects born between 1993 and 1996.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.