Mens Tennis Forums banner

AO potential serious weather issues

7K views 75 replies 39 participants last post by  Time Violation 
#1 ·
#3 ·
At least they can close the roof and turn on the A/C. Doesn't apply to outside courts but it won't come to a complete halt like the USO. There will be some matches played every day no matter the conditions. :worship:

#7 ·
I don't what tennis can be played in 45C under shadow (over 50 in the sun), it's no more tennis, it's gladiators trying to literally survive.

#8 ·
At least they have 2 roofs, they could play 5-6 matches on each stadium. SO the problem would not be as big as like the US Open.

#9 · (Edited)
there's no extreme hotness in the forecast for next 10 days in Melbourne :

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/Melbourne+ASXX0075:1:AS

If you look at your map, the extremely hot places are in other places.

Besides, I think plexicushion doesn't reflect the heat as the old rebound ace did. In those years, the heat was indeed sometimes scary and had a big impact on results.

It will probably be a rather hot Australian open but not extreme as it used to be.

#12 ·
Yeah, the AO is the toughest major to win now no doubt cause of the heat.

#15 ·
If the temperature is extreme,the roof will be put on.And the semis,finals will be played at night anyways.
So someone like Djokovic,who had his fair share of problems in those conditions,will get 2 or 3 matches at most during the day and those will be with roof shut if it`s that hot.
Certainly the lower ranked players will suffer and we will see a fair number of withdrawals.

#21 ·
im sure most of next week is 24-25 which is not hot :p

#23 ·
Survival of the fittest. Let the least asthmatic win.

#28 ·
i posted a link about it and considering last few days' situation on court in Sydney i thought it's a relevant matter.

In the forecast you posted tomorrow is forecasted to be 40 degrees, which is already the limit.

The question is what will happen if at the AO, one day from 11 to 17 o'clock it's 45C.

Should they play (and die) or should there be suspension? Roof is good...for 2 courts. The rest?

Should there be a rule and if there already is - should it start being applied already like the 25 secs?

#26 ·
Toni wouldn't let that obnoxious sun make the courts quicker. Everything can be bought by the dirty hand of Don Toni, even the sun.

#44 ·
Once again, the +45°c heat you see on television is far away from Melbourne. And next week it will be fresher, still very warm but tolerable.

Rooferer, Roofovic :lol: Roofray

I hope my Roofi doesn't play during the worst heat, he's not used to it coming from mountains of south tyrol!

#47 ·
This is the same shit I have to play in every Arizona summer lol. 50 c is normal and a good temp to me :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.