Mens Tennis Forums banner

Barcelona 2009

5K views 79 replies 12 participants last post by  Nichele Hull 
#1 ·
David's quarter of the draw...

[1] Rafael Nadal (ESP) vs BYE
Qualifier vs Yen-Hsun Lu (TPE)
Christophe Rochus (BEL) vs Nicolas Devilder (FRA)
Jan Hernych (CZE) vs [13] Richard Gasquet (FRA)

[10] Nicolas Almagro (ESP) vs Victor Hanescu (ROU)
Juan Ignacio Chela (ARG) vs Thomaz Bellucci (BRA)
[WC] Juan Carlos Ferrero (ESP) vs Igor Kunitsyn (RUS)
BYE vs [7] David Nalbandian (ARG)

#4 ·
Fererro, Almagro, Nadal. With the serve in his current state prepare for an exit as early as possible.

#5 ·
Well Fererro won a tourney but the field was weak and he is very much beatable. Almagro in full force on clay is a bad match up for David, but lately having problems with injuries and he is in a bad form. Nadal - I am not even going there, David might get humiliated this time unless he is wasted from his schedule.

#8 ·
Well, it is Kunitsyn instead of JCF. I'll just quote what I wrote in GM.

Geez, Igor was really trying to kill every ball hitting them as hard as he could and the funny thing is almost all of them went in the right spot. JCF clearly has some motivation issues, at some points he did not even bother to run to a reachable short balls just a couple of meters away. He went ahead 3-0 in the second set with himself hitting some hard and heavy FHs, but Kunitsyn kept swinging with his racket and got the next 5 games. Of course his hands got wooden when he was serving for the match and he got broken, but he played the TB as he did the rest of the match not giving Ferrero a single chance to do something. If he continues in the same rhythm as today and his aim remains intact he will beat Nalbandian too.

#10 ·
TVE is broadcasting it- more precise LA2 channel. Also Teledeporte for some matches.

#12 ·
He is scheduled to play on Wednesday and I am sure that there will be some streams till then, but with so many Spaniards playing on same day I doubt he will be on the center court (he would have if it was against JCF thou).

#14 ·
I don't know if you know, but streaming of Barcelona starts on Thursday on TennisTV.

Thanks for that report Heretic, and it looks like mostly everyone that watched it on GM agreed with that assessment as well. It's interesting - I don't really think of Kunitsyn as being a big hitter. More of an accurate hitter and he can change directions well also. I would have been curious as to how that performance compared to some of the other matches I've seen him play, for example against Safin in Moscow (where he picked up the title).

#19 ·
Geez, they might end up winning more return games then service games.

#21 ·
2 DF in a row , 25% winning on first serve, looks like his serve is even worse then before (if that is possible) and he is broken.

#22 ·
*4-4 He brakes back.

#25 ·
Did he had a single comfortable service game in the first set ?

#30 ·
In the second set: 48% first serve in, ONLY 54% won, and miserable 36% second serves won, someone might wonder how did he won with this numbers :lol:

#32 ·
I'd go with Chela. Even it means no coverage.
You're right, Almagro is the Spanish player most likely to be put on court 1. (If the others all go through, of course.) Plus I think he's a bad match-up for David. Therefore, I'll hope for Chela. :)

#33 ·
Definitely Chela, despite that Almagro plays quite awful lately (he barely survived against Hanescu, I watched that match). He hits everything hard, has a very fast 1 st serve and on a good day he can blow off out of the court lot of guys on clay.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.