Mens Tennis Forums banner

Your expectations for Marin in 2013

7K views 81 replies 13 participants last post by  AncicCilic 
#1 ·
He has a great chance to be top 10 after the AO. He has no points to defend first 3-4 months and AO is the tourney that fits him best. Milos just lost today and If Marin wins Chenai he'll leapfrog Isner and Raoic and be #12 seed which means that he won't play top 4 players until quarters. Go Marin!

#2 ·
Unfortunatelly he is once again stuck in 13-16 seeding group. Let's hope that he gets the 4th seed quarter and plays well in best out of 5 matches.

I agree that he can definitely get to top 10 in first few months. In fact, he must do that and i expect it of him.

#5 ·
Yup, avoiding Delpo is key. He has a fair shot against Tsonga and Berdych and at least 50-50 vs Tipsy, although imo he'd be the favorite due to H2H and better Slam consistency. I'd love to see him start the reason with a Slam QF, but even R4 would not be awful if he shows some good tennis.

I just hope he avoids Delpo in the draw really, if that happens he could do great.

#13 ·
If he make 1/8 here and wins Zagreb (or vene make a semis) he has very good chance fot number 11. That would be great for american's Masters seedings. If he want to crack into top 10 he needs to 1/8 here and to wins Zagreb and Memphis (Isner and he are top seeds). If he is in form like he was last 6 months (I think he is in even better form) it's likeable he will make it.
I like his attitude that he have to make top 10 until Mrch, to beat some top 10 at AO. Only with that attitude he can make big things.

First match is vs Matosevic around 7 AM tommorrow. Hope he will win in 3 (which will not bew easy).
He has 3 1/8 and one semis in Australia (and just one early exit, in 1st round of his maiden MD of AO).
However, I wouldn't be suprise if he will loose, that's Cilic.

#15 · (Edited)
Marin easy cruised in the 3rd round.
Next one is Seppi who played more than 4 hours today, while Marin played 2 (it was 40 degrees). Marin is better but that will help.
Marin is in really good form. I am sure he is better player than he was ever before, he is more complete. I would say he is composed now.

This is introduce in DC tie, too.

#19 ·
He's been serving and playing quite well, I like what I'm seeing. If he beats Seppi tonight and puts a respectable effort against Delpo (even if he ends up losing) I'll consider this a successful tournament and good start to the season.

#20 · (Edited)
Marin will be 12th in the World at 4 of February, which is good. But it's not good how he mentally collapsed in the 3rd round.
If he can repeat tennis from first two rounds in Zagreb it will be good, but if he can't he will just go down in the rest of the season. He needs a title there if he wants to go up.

In Zagreb and Memphis (500) he will be top seed.

#23 ·
Marin is 345 points away of top ten. He is top seed in Zagreb and Mephis. If he wins that and make 1/8 final at IW and Miami he will gain 635 points more. So he would have 290 points more than Gasquet right now which wold be enough for top 10 I think. Actually he would overpass Tipsarevic for 5 points, too. If he doesn't win Zagreb he will have 190 points more. So, I think he really should concertrate to win Memphis (would gain 410 points more) and he could drop in top 10 after that. His biggiest rivals will be Raonic, Nishikori, Isner, Haas , Querry, Dolgopolov, Verdasco. IThat is his best chance.
From IW and Miami he can gain 125 poins for two 1/8 or 305 for two quaters. After that european clay swing starts which mean he would gave slimer chances. He needs to jeep 12th seeding spot and than he should make top 10 until RG finishes. Actually untill than he should become topl 10 regular.
By the way he has veey good chance to overpass Almagro because Spaniard need to defend 400 points in this month.

#25 · (Edited)
Unfotunatelly, that's true.
But last time he was 12th was in the year he was 9 plus he does need to defend just 2nd round of Miami in next 4 tournaments. And he is going up in rankings. In the Mart last year he was 1300 points away from the top ten while he is 300 points away now. Plus when he grab 12th seeding spot he made two quaters at Masters. If he repeat last summer form he will win Zagreb, make semis in Memphis and make two quaters at American Masters. That would be 495 points more.
But winning of Memphis is his goal, otherwise he would't skip Rotterdam nor Dubai.

But knowing Cilic he will gaine the most points at 250. That should be Munich and maybe Zagreb (because he is probably tired and in changeable form). However that is good two because he needs to defend titles in Queen's and Umag plus semis of Hamburg and 1/8 at Wimbledon in just one month spare.

#26 ·
skipping rotterdam and dubai is the smartest thing he has done, better to have a chance for semis in memphis than to go out in 2nd/3rd round against top4.

Ideally he will win Zagreb and Memphis, get into semis/finals of delray beach and get into the quarters of IW & Miami.
Realistically, he'll get into the semis of Zagreb, Memphis, Delray and lose in the 4th round of IW/Miami.

#27 ·
I forgot he will play Delray Beach.
There is no 4th round in Miami, that is quaters (64), while IW has 124 players.
You can't really predict anything about Cilic, he can loose whereever and whenever. I would say he will make atleast quaters in Zagreb, quaters in Memphis, semis in DB, 3rd round (skip first one) in IW and 2nd in Miami. With that results he would gain just 80 points more. Actually I think he will have some 200 or maybe even 300 points more.

#30 · (Edited)
Bravo Marin, third title in Zagreb!

He is over 200 points ahead of Raonic (needs to defend title in San Jose and final of Memphis), he is 300 points ahead of Simon. So he will be atleast 12th seed at American Masters. Very important.
If Almagro doesn't make final in Sao Paolo (should face Monaco in semis), Marin will surpass him.
If Marin wins Memphis next week (first seed) and Gasquet doesn't make quaters in Rotterdam this week (forth seed; played final of Monpellier last week) he is in top 10. Good thing is all of his competition from Memphis play San Jose this week (except Dolgopolov).

If somehow Marin would play well he even has chance to be number 8 after RG.
For that he needs to win 255 points more than Tsonga in the same time, than to win 20 points less than Tipsarevic (they would be tied but Marin has edge at H2H) and 40 (they would be tied, they have never played before), 45 points more than Gasquet.

#36 ·
God, I hope Marin can pull a win here today. Kei is out of form but Marin seems like he's crumbling under pressure and is playing too safe, with inside out forehand instead of blasting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.