Mens Tennis Forums banner

2013 Fall Season, Regroup! Allez!

96K views 2K replies 44 participants last post by  Gillouthe best 
#1 · (Edited)
Happy New Year to everyone!

Here we go again. 2013 Season begins...This year a new adventure for Gilles as he's going solo. Hopefully, he's healthy and ready. I'm preparing for another roller coaster ride as long as the ride isn't too bumpy for the stomach ;).

First stop, Brisbane.

(1) Andy Murray (GBR) vs Bye
Tatsuma Ito (JPN) vs Qualifier
Radek Stepanek (CZE) vs (WC) Lleyton Hewitt (AUS)
(8) Martin Klizan (SVK) vs Denis Istomin (UZB)

(4) Alexandr Dolgopolov (UKR) vs Bye
Julien Benneteau (FRA) vs Jarkko Nieminen (FIN)
Tommy Robredo (ESP) vs Qualifier
(5) Kei Nishikori (JPN) vs Marinko Matosevic (AUS)

(6) Florian Mayer (GER) vs Santiago Giraldo (COL)
(WC) Benjamin Mitchell (AUS) vs Marcos Baghdatis (CYP)
Qualifier vs Alejandro Falla (COL)
(3) Gilles Simon (FRA) vs Bye

(7) Jurgen Melzer (AUT) vs Qualifier
(WC) Matthew Ebden (AUS) vs David Goffin (BEL)
Grigor Dimitrov (BUL) vs Brian Baker (USA)
(2) Milos Raonic (CAN) vs Bye

Allez Gilles!

See less See more
#3 ·
Allez Gilles :yeah: ! Not a bad draw IMO, Flo Mayer could be a nightmare for Gilles on the QF's, hope Giraldo or Baghdatis takes him out, and I think Gilles can beat Raonic if he plays his best. One match at a time though, Falla can be dangerous when on.

#7 ·
It will be Falla tomorrow on court 1.

His schedule:

11:00 am.

Hantuchova/ Srebotnik vs Pavlyuchenkova/Safarova
Stephens vs Arvidsson
Simon vs Falla

Allez Gilles against Falla! I remember he had a bit of a tough time vs him on Cincy 09', hope he wins!

#9 ·
Re: 2013 Australia, new adventure begins in Down Under

Well I guess there is a stream for Court 1 after all, but it is pretty bad. A fixed camera on only one side of the court with no following of the players and horrible resolution. Gilles won the first set 7-6 and is up a break in the 2nd set. Hope he can close it out in straight sets.

#10 ·

He won 7-6 7-6, not too impressive, felt like he's still trying to get back to game form, and he DF on MP :rolleyes:. But then, he won 2 TBs, that I consider a good start for the year :yeah:. Good luck next round. Allez.

#11 ·

I'll take it. 1st match is never easy, so to win in straights but to be pushed also is ideal. Nice to start off with a qtr final in 1st tournament of the year also.

falla taking a medical time out in the 2nd set tie break was pretty bad.

#12 ·

Nice win for Gilles :yeah: , he didn't crumbled under pressure on TB's and he was also good on BP's, 3/4 converted and 6/9 saved.

#13 ·

Congrats Gilles, didn't see it but it's good to get a straight sets win and to win two tiebreaks. I think Baghdatis is next, would be nice to get a semi in the first tournament back.

#15 ·
Gilles up tomorrow on Pat Rafter Arena ( CC) vs Baggy.

Schedule:
11:30 am. - Simon vs Baghdatis

Allez Gilles against Baggy! He better watch out, H2H is 2-2 and Baggy usually looks really good in Oz, hope he can win!

#16 ·

I hope he can win too because the draw has really opened up for him now since the high seed in his section Raonic was knocked out and if he can get past Baggy, he has an 4-0 record against Dimitrov and a 4-2 record against Meltzer of which he has won the last three of their encounters so he has a real opportunity to at least make the finals.

Problem is, Murray or Dolgo will probably be waiting for him and we all know his record against them. Still, a final is better than stopping at the semifinals and will give him some points to start the season off.

#17 ·

Well, so much for Gilles possibly reaching the final. He decided to play like complete garbage today against Baggy. No strategy whatsoever. Just hitting the ball from way behind the baseline right back to the center of the court for Baggy to unload on. He's also starting to double fault more i've noticed as well which just means more free points for his opponents in addition to the points they already get from the easy unforced errors he makes during the rallies.

So, a mediocre start to the new year and not very encouraging based on these first two matches.

#19 ·

Well, so much for Gilles possibly reaching the final. He decided to play like complete garbage today against Baggy. No strategy whatsoever. Just hitting the ball from way behind the baseline right back to the center of the court for Baggy to unload on. So, a mediocre start to the new year and not very encouraging based on these first two matches.
I think he expected Baghdatis to make more errors than he did but yeah there really wasn't any strategy.

#20 ·

So...he lost.

It's still new year so I'm feeling positive, hence I'm going to offer some positives, there's not many but his first serve is pretty big when it's not fault, 190ish means his shoulder is feeling good. While still working his way in, at least the intensity is a little higher than last match. So he's getting there, I hope...He's never someone that jumps out of the gate, so gives him more time to get better. Although I like these Aussie Series very much, the big goal is to peak at Aussie Open, just hoping that he'll manage that this year. Good luck in Sydney.

#21 ·
Sad for his loss, but somehow expected after seeing how well Baggy had played vs Mayer. It's good that he's also playing Sydney, that will give him more match practice.

Sent from my iPhone using Verticalsports.com Free App

#22 ·

Rumors said Tsonga, Gasquet both pulled out of Sydney, and Isner possibly will follow too, if that's the case, Gilles will be #1 seed in Sydney. Not sure if that's good thing or not, I was counting on him not having to play the weekend in Sydney (don't think he can beat Tsonga/Gasquet :p). I want him fresh for AO. But I also do not want him to being no good and loses to some lower ranks. So if he suddenly becomes #1 seed, then there's a dilemmma here. :eek: haha I think too much.

Anyway, the draw this evening, we'll see who's still playing. My hope for him is still to peak at AO, whatever needs to happen in Sydney for him to get there, I hope it will happen. Allez Gilles.

#23 · (Edited)

Draw is out, Gilles is #2 seed.

Granollers - Ebden
Dimitrov - Fognini
Robredo - Millman
Seppi - Bye

F. Mayer - Q
Tomic - Matosevic
Nieminen - Q
Simon - Bye

Complete draw: http://www.apiainternational.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/MDS1.pdf

Well, like I said, whatever happens in Sydney, just hope it will work out just fine towards Melbourne. Allez Gilles

BTW, he's in the double draw too, teamed with Roger-Vasselin, unfortunately, their first round is against 2nd seed Paes/Stepanek. Oh well, good luck anyway.

#27 ·

Gilles and ERV just lost their double match, 10-5 in the Super TB. Oh well, it's not bad against the 2nd seeded team.
Meanwhile, his next single opponent Nieminen just won his match by a score of 6-0 6-1, in 41 mins. Ummm, I'm worry. Hopefully, Gilles can win. Allez Gilles.

#29 ·

Meanwhile, his next single opponent Nieminen just won his match by a score of 6-0 6-1, in 41 mins. Ummm, I'm worry. Hopefully, Gilles can win. Allez Gilles.
Yeah, but let's be honest, that was against a qualifier. Gilles is the 2nd seed here and far from a qualifier. I'd like to think he will put up a little bit more of a fight than Bjorn Phau was able to.;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.