Mens Tennis Forums banner

The Official Andreas Seppi Cheering Thread

96K views 794 replies 70 participants last post by  Mateya 
#1 ·
:wavey:

Well I dont think he has one, and even if he does it is probably lost somewhere. Reached the final last week in the Sunrise challenger beating some good opponents on the way before losing to Monfils.

Today he just beat Dorstch to qualify for his 2nd master series in a row and hopefully his improving form can continue within the tournament with a good draw.

#2 ·
Auf gehts/Forza Andreas Seppi Appreciation thread

Since Andy is from South Tyrol I decided to use both German and Italian in the original title.

It's been a difficult year for Seppi so far, he has lost a lot of matches that he shouldn't have or played poorly, but he made the final of the Sunrise Challenger losing in 3 sets to Monfils.

He qualified for Indian Wells and for Miami where he plays Tipsarevic in the 1st round and will play Chela if he wins.

#3 ·
Re: Auf gehts/Forza Andreas Seppi Appreciation thread

Here are some pics from Sunrise.

#4 ·

#5 ·

From his semi final win over Massu.

http://www.sunrisetennis.com/home/2007_03_17.php

Monfils plays another young gun in Sunday's final - Italian Andreas Seppi, who pulled out a three set win over a determined Nicolas Massu.

Ranked 102 to Massu's No. 50, Seppi took on the tournament's No. 6 seed with consistency and style. The match started with the court in half-sun, half-shade, which Seppi said made the first few games difficult. He lost that set 3-6, but the second game of the second set, which went to a half-dozen deuces, marked a momentum shift - as Seppi broke the Chilean's serve for the first time.

“It was one of the important games in the match,” Seppi said, “...because I was a break down, and then to come back immediately was good for me for confidence. Otherwise a set down and break down, it's always tough so it was pretty good to [win] this long game.”

In the third set, Seppi was an excellent retriever, getting lots of balls back while Massu seemed to melt down - going for winners and missing. “Third set I started really good,” Seppi said. “I don't know maybe he was thinking a little bit about the second, because he made some double faults in the second game, and third game, so I had a good start in the third. When I'm confident I can play pretty good. When I had the chance I went for the winner. It works pretty good and then in the long rallies it's tough against [Massu] because he's running a lot, so you have to keep the points short and maybe sometimes that was the key of the game. I'm pretty patient, but when I have the chance I try to go for the winner so I think both a little bit patient and a little bit risk.”

Seppi also produced winners with crafty drop shots, which Massu wasn't often able to track down. “In the long rallies he's staying pretty far from the baseline, so to make sometimes a drop shot it's good to change the position of the player,” Seppi said. “After winning the second set I was more confident, I knew that maybe if I go up like 3-zero he's going to go a little bit crazy or something - so I tried to be focused the first games and it worked out good.” In fact, Seppi went up 5-0 in the third, before Massu rallied to hold serve.

Looking to tomorrow's final against Gael Monfils, Seppi said “It will be a tough match, it's always a touch match. I played him once in the beginning of this year and I lost, so I hope to play better tomorrow. It's important to be focused on my own game, to serve well, to keep him moving and when I have a shot try to go for a winner, but try to stay focused on my game and not think too much about what he's doing.”

The two played earlier this year in Doha - a match Seppi lost 6-3, 6-4. “It's a good rematch for me,” he said, “and I'm playing better than in the beginning so I hope to stay focused tomorrow, get ready a little bit and for sure it will be a nice final.”

#6 ·

After losing to Monfils and Seppi has some very good words to say.

http://www.sunrisetennis.com/home/homepage.php

MONFILS DEFEATS SEPPI IN SINGLES FINAL

(Sunrise, FL) - Record crowds showed up Sunday to see French sensation Gael Monfils win the singles championship in his first showing at the BMW Tennis Championship at Sunrise Tennis Center, facing off with one of Italy's young stars, Andreas Seppi.

Monfils never faced a tournament seed all week, taking out wild card Jesse Levine, qualifier Dusan Vemic, wild card Nenad Zimonjic (who had defeated the tournament's No. 1 seed, Dmitry Tursunov), and Ivo Karlovic, who retired in the second set in the semis. Seppi had defeated wild card and 3-time French Open champ Gustavo “Guga” Kuerten in the first round, Juan Martin Del Potro (who had beaten No. 7 seed and fellow Argentinean Juan Monaco), Oliver Marach and No. 6 seed Nicolas Massu in the semis.

In the first set, Seppi held his own at the baseline, producing silky smooth groundstrokes, especially from the backhand side. But a lot of the long rallies went Monfils' way. Seppi's drop shots, which mightily frustrated Massu on Saturday night, were not as effective against the speedy Monfils, one of the few players who slides easily on hard courts, despite his 6' 4” height. At two games all, Monfils served his way back from love-40 to 30-40, then double faulted the game away. But in the last game of the set, Seppi gave up his service at love.

“I think I didn't serve really well the first set,” Seppi said. “We have always long rallies and he broke me two times. If you don't serve well it's easy to break.” “In the first set I was focused only on the power,” Monfils said, “And one powerful first serve. That's why I think I hit the ball harder.”

But in the second set, Seppi stepped up his game, looking more comfortable going for winners; while Monfils seemed to dial back his intensity.
Second set yeah for sure I played the more aggressive,” Seppi said. “In the first games I tried to play faster more on the net and I hit for sure more winners. It was a good start, I am a break up and then I get the intermediary break - and then I was up again a break.

The Italian broke Monfils twice; and the young Frenchman took on an almost bored attitude, as if resigned to start fresh in the third. Seppi broke Monfils once more to finish off the set 6-1.

“In the second, I play very short on the court instead of very long so I think he take his chances and he did great,” Monfils said. “But when he broke me again I decide to tank the last game because I knew it would be new balls and I would serve first with the wind for me.”

In the third set, the tables abruptly turned. Monfils sprang to life again, and the characteristic defiant fist-pumps were back. Meanwhile Seppi's efficient ground strokes started sailing long, and his drop shots, no matter how well disguised, bounced within reach of the fast-moving Frenchman.

“In the third set, especially in the beginning I slowed a little bit down and lost the first two, three games,” Seppi said. “And it's always tough to come back. He's a little bit more confident and so it was tough in the end to come back. He didn't miss a lot today. He was running a lot, played pretty not too much risk and so I always tried the risk. He served pretty good in third set, it was tough to return and when I was serving, there were always long rallies. I always have to risk, and it's not easy, when you play every day so you get a little bit tired in the end.”

Monfils broke Seppi's first service, then consolidated the break for 3-love. Seppi's next serve went to deuce but he held. Monfils followed with an easy hold, broke Seppi once more - and served it out for the win - 6-3, 1-6, 6-1.
Looking forward to Miami's Sony Ericsson Open, which starts on March 21, Monfils said, “I have good preparation, now I win here so during three days I am relax, I have to stay focused, keep practice hard and see what happens at the Ericsson.

My first experience was very good here because I won the tournament, but I think it's good preparation here for Miami. It's a good tournament, you have a lot of courts to practice and the weather is very nice and I really enjoy, and I think it's a very important event before Miami.”

“Maybe it s a little bit lower tournament but anyway if you win, you win a lot of points,” Monfils said, “And I think sometimes players forget if you win the tournament its like winning third round in Indian Wells. I think it's a good idea to come here, because there's a lot of good players here so it's not really a similar challenger - I think it's very strong. I feel good but I think now my goal is to win the Sony Ericsson, so I'm feeling confident. I know before I come here it was preparation, now I win this tournament so I feel more confident, I know I can win five match in a row. My goal now is to win the Sony Ericsson, so I have to keep going.”

Last year's BMWTC winner, Dmitry Tursunov, followed up that trophy with his best-ever Masters Series showing at the Ericsson, reaching the fourth round - where he lost to eventual winner Roger Federer.

Monfils is into the main draw at Miami, but Seppi (currently ranked 102), will have to qualify. “This was a good tournament for me,” he said, “And I hope to play good next week.”

Results for Sunday, March 18, 2007:
Gael Monfils (FRA) d. Andreas Seppi (ITA) 6-3, 1-6, 6-1

Konstantinos Economidis (GRE)/Kristof Vliegen (BEL) d. Juan Martin del Potro (ARG)/Sebastian Prieto (ARG) 6-3, 6-4

#7 ·

Some more pics from his final against Monfils.

#8 ·

Auf geht's Andi vs Tipsi!

#9 ·

Here is a pic of Andy and his long time coach Massimo.

#10 ·

http://www.stol.it/dolomiten/news/2007/03/21/s2103t1.asp?SID=91544729536412203174

Müdigkeit kennt Seppi gar nicht

Siebtes Spiel in sieben Tagen:

Kalterer auch bei ATP-Masters in Miami im Hauptfeld
Key Biscayne/Bozen (sp) - Erfolgreiche Qualifikation und zweite Runde in Indian Wells, Finale beim Challenger in Sunrise und gestern Nachmittag (Ortszeit) Qualifikation für das zweite ATP-Masters-Trunier des Jahres in Miami: die USA- Reise hat sich für Andreas Seppi immer mehr gelohnt. Seppi besiegte in der entscheidenden Qualifikationsrunde den Deutschen Benedikt Dorsch (ATP- Nummer 189) mit 3:6, 6:2, 6:1.

Seit Montag ist der Kalterer wieder ein Top-100-Spieler (Platz 93). Und der 23-Jährige entwickelt sich zum "Marathonmann" auf dem Tennisplatz. Gestern musste Seppi das siebte Spiel an sieben aufeinanderfolgenden Tagen bestreiten, aber von Müdigkeit war keine Spur.

Nur zu Beginn hatte der Kalterer bei erneut starkem Wind Probleme. Er gab gleich sein erstes Aufschlagspiel zum 0:2 ab, geriet 0:3 in Rückstand und wehrte zwei Bälle zum möglichen 0:4 ab.

Von da an spielte aber nur mehr Seppi. Er gestattete seinem Gegner in der Folge keinen einzigen Breakball mehr. Den ersten Satz gab er noch ab, seine ersten zwei Breakmöglichkeiten zum 2:0 im zweiten Durchgang ließ er noch aus, aber nach dem 2:2 machte der Kalterer neun Games in Folge und zog auf 3:6, 6:2, 5:0 davon.

Vor allem im letzten Satz war Seppi unnahbar und ließ dem 26-jährigen aus Bayern keine Chance. Dorsch ist in Südtirol kein Unbekannter, hat er doch 2001 das Futures-Turnier in Rungg gegen den Nordtiroler Patrik Mayr gewonnen, der damals im Halbfinale einen gewissen Andreas Seppi bezwungen hat. "Andi war auch heute körperlich ungemein stark. Trotz des starken Windes hat er drei Sätze lang die Initiative ergriffen und ist aggressiv geblieben", freut sich Trainer Massimo Sartori.

Morgen gegen Tipsarevic
Heute hat Andreas Seppi endlich einen Ruhetag. Er trifft in Miami erst morgen in der ersten Runde auf den Serben Janko Tipsarevic, die Nummer 98 der Welt. Die Bilanz lautet 1:1. Im Viertelfinale beim Junioren-Turnier in Paris 2002 siegte Seppi in drei Sätzen. Im Vorjahr in Melbourne gewann Tipsarevic in fünf. Der Sieger trifft in Runde zwei auf Juan Ignacio Chela.

Summary.

Seepi doesn't know what tiredness is

The Kalterer ( from Kaltern) played his 7th match in 7 days to qualify for the main draw of the the ATP-Masters in Miami.

Key Biscayne/Bozen (sp) A successful qualification into the 2nd round at Indian wells, finals at the Sunrise Challenger and yesterday afternoon (Florida time) qualification for the 2nd ATP-Masters tournament of the year in Miami: The journey to USA was definitely worth it for Seppi. Seppi won in the final round of qualifying.

Since Monday the Kalterer is a top 100 player again (ranked 93), and the 23 year old develops into a marathon man on court. Yesterday Seppi had to play the 7th match in 7 days but there was no sign of tiredness.

Only at the beginning he had problems again with strong wind. He gave away his first serve to 0:2, went back 0:3 and defended 2 break points to stop a 0-4 lead.

Since then it was all Seppi. He didn't allow his opponent any break point chancess. He gave away the first set, didn't take his first 2 break chances for the 2:0 in the 2nd ser but after the 2:2, the Kalterer won 9 games in a row and went up to 3:6, 6:2, 5:0.

Seppi was too good especially in the final set and didn't give the 26 year old from Bavaria any chance. Dorsch is not unknown in South Tyrol because he won the Futures tournament in Rungg against the Tirolean Patrik Mayr in 2001, who back then beat Seppi.

'Andi was also today physically very strong Although there was strong wind, he took the initiative and stayed aggressive during all 3 sets", says Trainer Massimo Sartori happy.

Today Seppi has finally a relaxing day. He has a match tomorrow again in Miami in the 1st round against Janko Tipsarevic, #98 of the world. The H2h is 1-1. In the quarterfinals at the Junior tournament in Paris 2002, Seppi won in 3 sets. the year before in melbourne Tipsarevic won in 5 sets. the winner is playing Chela in the 2nd round.

#11 ·

Once again the thread I opened before should be groupd with this...

Today he is up against Tipsarevic... difficult, but also a match we know he can win.

#12 ·
Due to the rain the Seppi match has been rescheduled and he won't know what to do with the extra time off, though this is a big chance for him.

#18 ·
lost a good lead in the first but came back well in the 2nd

let's hope he takes it to a decider

#22 ·
identical to the first set, being breaked at 6-5 after going 0-40 and saving 2 MPs

ah well, clay courts here we come :(

#23 ·
Yes not a great start to the season for Seppi, but the last 3 weeks have been encouraging. He qualified for Indian Wells and got 2nd round then got to Sunrise Challenger final and now qualified for Miami. So now he can go into clay season with some spirit and back in the top 100.

#24 ·
He should be something in the 80s after Miami in the Ranking.

#26 ·
I wonder if Andy will play Davis Cup or he hasn't been selected for the squad.

#27 ·
It was disappointing that Andy couldn't defeat a cramping Dudi Sela in DC, but he is still making too many mistakes and is lacking confidence, just has to fight through it.

He is playing in Valencia.

(1)David Ferrer (ESP) vs Daniele Bracciali (ITA)
(WC)James Ward (GBR) vs (q)
Sergio Roitman (ARG) vs Jan Hernych (CZE)
(8)Guillermo Garcia Lopez (ESP) vs Evgueni Korolev (RUS)

(4)Fernando Verdasco (ESP) vs Potito Starace (ITA)
Simon Greul (GER) vs (q)
Kristian Pless (DAN) vs (q)

(5)Gilles Simon (FRA) vs Teimuraz Gabashvili (RUS)
(7)Filippo Volandri (ITA) vs Igor Andreev (RUS)
Oscar Hernandez (ESP) vs Stefan Koubek (AUT)
Alessio di Mauro (ITA) vs (q)
(3)Nicolas Almagro (ESP) vs Jan Hajek (CZE)

(6)Florian Mayer (ESP) vs (WC)Santiago Ventura (ESP)
Alejandro Falla (ECU) vs Andreas Seppi (ITA)
Alberto Martin (ESP) vs Feliciano Lopez (ESP)
(2)Juan Carlos Ferrero (ESP) vs Ernests Gulbis (LAT)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.