Jared Donaldson - Page 17 - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-30-2015, 10:42 PM   #241
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

SapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jared Donaldson

Defeated Devvarman in 3 and then lost to Muller in straights...playing 5 matches in 5 days in extreme heat. Terrible scheduling by the tournament. Washington qualifying next.

Getty Images

http://justdroptheball.blogspot.com/

Last edited by SapELee : 07-31-2015 at 01:04 AM.
SapELee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2015, 10:49 PM   #242
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

SapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond reputeSapELee has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't play DC but hope it was an act of caution/recovery and not b/c of injury.

Old 08-06-2015, 12:10 AM   #243
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

In Las Vegas with Agassi. Hope JD's paying attention!

Last edited by SapELee : 08-06-2015 at 12:14 AM.
Old 08-09-2015, 10:49 PM   #244
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

JD took a WC into Aptos, plays Elias again for the gazillionth time.

Old 08-11-2015, 02:06 PM   #245
country flag trojanstallion

trojanstallion has a reputation beyond reputetrojanstallion has a reputation beyond reputetrojanstallion has a reputation beyond reputetrojanstallion has a reputation beyond reputetrojanstallion has a reputation beyond reputetrojanstallion has a reputation beyond reputetrojanstallion has a reputation beyond reputetrojanstallion has a reputation beyond reputetrojanstallion has a reputation beyond reputetrojanstallion has a reputation beyond reputetrojanstallion has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SapELee View Post
JD took a WC into Aptos, plays Elias again for the gazillionth time.
Hahahha, seriously, they play each other a lot! It's a good thing JD is winning them though
trojanstallion is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 01:44 AM   #246
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Draws Mahut in Cincy #GoodLuck

Old 08-18-2015, 08:57 PM   #247
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

75 67 62, first Masters win Gets Jerzy next. Also congrats to Jared on the USO MDWC.

Old 08-19-2015, 11:32 PM   #248
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Lost 64 76(4). Was down a break in the 2nd and had 5 set points on Jerzy's serve

Old 08-27-2015, 10:09 PM   #249
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Jared gets Lukas Rosol in the first round of the USO #GoodLuck

Was at Jared's match on Sunday against Groth in Winston-Salem. Was up a set and a break in the 2nd and 3rd set, had 2 MPs in the 2nd set. Didn't play that well.

Here is a recap if anyone is interested http://justdroptheball.blogspot.com/...cap-jared.html

During practice.

Last edited by SapELee : 08-27-2015 at 10:37 PM.
Old 08-28-2015, 01:44 AM   #250
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Taste of Tennis

Old Yesterday, 01:44 AM   #251
country flag SapELee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Stars of Tomorrow: Jared Donaldson http://www.atpworldtour.com/en/news/...2015-donaldson

Quote:
With Taylor and Phil Dent in his corner, the 18-year-old American has taken aim at World No. 1 in the Emirates ATP Rankings

“I play because I want to be No. 1.”

Jared Donaldson leans forward intently. His eyes widen with eager anticipation as his focus narrows. Suddenly entranced in his own thoughts, an in-depth interview is condensed into a single moment.

“My goal isn’t to be a Top 200 teenager. My goal is to be a Top 10 player, a Top 4 player, the top player.”

Coach Taylor Dent is standing nearby, but there’s no glance of affirmation from Jared. He pauses. His voice hardens, reaching a crescendo of enthusiasm.

“I didn’t start playing tennis because the American public wanted another Grand Slam champion. I started playing because I really loved the sport.

“There are a lot of good, young players, but I don’t really look at them as my competition. For me, it’s Djokovic, Federer, Nadal and Murray. That’s the level you have to get to. I want to be in the position to compete for big titles and those are the guys doing it now.”

“Jared and I and everybody in Jared’s team have big aspirations," said Dent. "We’re not arrogant in saying we’re going to reach those aspirations, but why not have them? We want to try and do the things that the best guys are doing. That is, observing and learning how to play at the highest level possible. That’s what we’re trying to absorb and emulate for Jared right now.”

For Donaldson, the path to ATP World Tour stardom is paved with clay. But not all clay is created equal.

Born and raised in the heart of the northeast United States, in Providence, Rhode Island, where snow plows are more common than tennis facilities – and hard courts are particularly prevalent – Donaldson soon realised that a change of scenery was necessary.

Clay builds character, but he is quick to point out that while the vast majority of junior development programs in the United States implement training regimens on green clay, the surface leaves much to be desired. With his team’s guidance, Donaldson looked abroad to foster a stronger foundation on the red dirt and his quest would lead him 5,000 miles south to Argentina.

He admits it was a big change, but an imperative one.

“We were set up with an Argentine-American coach down there, Nestor Bernabe, who knew a lot of academies down there and helped us find the right fit for us,” Donaldson told ATPWorldTour.com. “That was Pablo Bianchi. He said I should come down and train with him. We said we’ll try it out for five months, play some tournaments and see how it goes. It was a good situation for two and a half years. In the end it got a little tough, but for my development at the time it was really good."

Donaldson strongly believes that the red dirt made a big difference in his growth and maturation, both tactically and mentally. From point construction to movement and problem solving in tricky situations, he says he learned a lot about his game and himself from his time abroad.

“I’m pretty lanky and tall and needed to work on movement, because playing indoors (in Rhode Island) there’s not as much movement involved as playing on red clay. Also, putting more spin on my shots, hitting a good rally ball and using my legs. On hard courts it’s tougher to do. On clay you need to use more body and more legs.

“Clay isn’t unfamiliar to me now. I learned how to slide and build confidence in myself and there isn’t a question mark of whether I can do different things. It is the stuff I’ve already been through.”

Donaldson has soared up the Emirates ATP Rankings to a career-high World No. 146, after sitting outside the Top 300 exactly one year ago. He is one of three 18 year olds in the Top 150, along with Borna Coric and Alexander Zverev.

While Coric and Zverev have surged into the spotlight in the past year, enjoying immediate ATP World Tour success, Donaldson continues to plot his ascent with steadier progress. The right-hander, who currently lives in Irvine, California, is not concerned. A career is a journey, not a sprint.

“My immediate goal is to keep improving my game and getting better with the things I’m doing on the court. If I do that, my ranking can’t go anywhere but up. If I don’t, it will remain stagnant or go down. The game only gets better over time. Players work harder and figure things out. If you don’t keep improving, then you’re in trouble.”

“Jared is an exceptionally hard worker,” said Dent. “I think that’s his biggest strength – his desire to get better. I do think that is tough for some people to grasp but for Jared it comes easy. He’s willing to do whatever it takes to get better. He’s willing to spend six to seven hours on court. He’s willing to do things he doesn’t like to do. My job is an easy job. I just have to convince him we need to invest his time in certain things X, Y and Z, and if I do my job correctly then he’s on the same page with me and we’re rolling along. It’s easy times."

Donaldson owns match wins in four different ATP World Tour events this year, including Memphis, Newport, Atlanta and his first at the Masters 1000 level, in Cincinnati. While the victories are nice, he reiterates that they are simply stepping stones to bigger and greater things.

“It’s just another match and chance to improve and continue working on the things I was doing in practice. I think one of the times I was at Taylor’s family academy, Phil told my dad that there’s always going to be a first. A first qualifying for a Challenger, first Challenger win, then your first title, first ATP 250 level win, 500, Masters 1000, first Grand Slam win. There’s always a first and you just have to be focused and don’t blow things out of proportion and get too caught up in the moment.”

Perhaps the biggest challenge of Taylor Dent’s professional career has come after he struck his final ball. The former World No. 21 and four-time ATP World Tour singles titlist reached the semi-finals of the 2004 Summer Olympics in Athens. He understands the importance of imparting lessons learned from his 12-year playing career, but also knows that all careers are created differently. While guiding a burgeoning talent in American tennis has its pressures, the California native stresses the importance of keeping it simple.

“I’m no hero. I’m not a martyr. I like doing things the most efficient and effective way possible. I got to see that first hand when Federer would do certain things to me on the court. Nadal, Djokovic, Murray too. I experienced how those guys operate and what makes them so effective. It’s a pretty easy transition for me because I experienced it first-hand.

“The lesson I’ve taken from my playing career, is what’s effective in modern tennis. In theory, a lot of things are effective and a lot of things work out well. In practice, they don’t. I had a first-hand experience of what those players did well and the things that I thought would work that didn’t work. It’s hard knocks in seeing what works and what doesn’t work from experience.”

The formula Dent has put into practice has paid dividends thus far, with Donaldson’s zeal to learn and improve at the heart of their relationship.

“He’s made me a better player in every single aspect,” Donaldson added. “The serve is the biggest, because it was probably the farthest behind in my game. Forehand, backhand and mentally is another big one. He has me thinking more as a professional out there rather than as a junior.”

“Jared’s very inquisitive and won’t say ‘yes sir’,” Dent said, proudly. “Jared needs to be on board and needs to understand why I say and ask him to do things. That helps me to be even better because I have to explain it. I prefer it that way. I wouldn’t want him to do something that he didn’t believe in. I don’t want him to have one foot in, one foot out. That’s no way to commit to something. Jared likes to understand, he likes to talk about things. He brings opinions to the table. It helps me think out loud at times. We’ll talk it through and say this is why it might not be the case or why it is.

“Like any young man, Jared is a little more negative on himself at times, but he has improved so much this year in that area. Will that go away with maturity and age? Yes. With everything else, Jared is on the right track. Is there a long way to go, is it a long journey? 100 per cent. But I like the path we’re on.”

Donaldson opens his 2015 US Open campaign against Lukas Rosol. The spotlight will shine even brighter should he tangle with Roger Federer in a potential third-round clash.