Mens Tennis Forums banner

Will Del Potro ever win another slam?

• He will not win a slam again.

Votes: 47 40.5%
  • He will win one or more slams in the future.

Votes: 69 59.5%

Del Potro will never win a slam again.

7K views 93 replies 56 participants last post by  RocketMan70 
#1 ·
Agree or disagree?

#4 ·
He will not. He fluked his slam against choking Olderer (10 DF and 50% FS :eek:) and he should be thankful for that. His game is simply way too limited to be a multi slam champion. Too many technical weaknesses in his game - like rocketassist once said "A female basher with male power" - a completely spot-on description of the Aregetine.

#23 ·
really? how does he suck? at moments he has knocked Djokvic around the court tonight, and true he lost relatively badly, but Novak was playing sublime. it's pretty obvious he'll win another slam and why he one the first one- capable of extreme power with his groundstrokes and big serve. not bad movement for a big guy, great volleying skills. calm head on shoulders. you guys are answering like clowns, next thing you know you'll ask why did Roddick win a slam :eek:

#16 ·
Most people don't realize the Del Po is 23(because of his looks) so Del Po will still be around once Nadal and Fed are out and that gives him a good opportunity. My heart says no, but my brain says yes.

#30 ·
Most people don't realize the Del Po is 23(because of his looks) so Del Po will still be around once Nadal and Fed are out and that gives him a good opportunity.
Yeah, people seem to forget this when discussing Del Po. Nadal is suffering from Hoffa's, Fed will be on his way soon, Murray and Djokovic are in the prime years right now. There is still a good chance he can win a slam in the future. He's slowly getting back to his best, and i think he can win 1 or 2 more slams.

I Admit i'm a bit bias because i'm a fan of his, but he's certainly got a good chance of winning another slam if he can stay away from injurys

#18 ·
That's still fairly young :shrug:

#19 ·
25-26 should be the peak of a player's career. So he has 1 year until his peak should come.

Unless that was USO '09.

#20 ·
Interresting topic, few months ago i would say YES he will win another slam without hesitation, but right now not so sure. He looked far better player in 2009 - stronger, better server, much better fitness and just he looked like future No.1. I am big Delpo fan, but look reallistically here on things.

Now he is almost 2 years back since injury- he came back in late 2010 don´t remember exactly i think it was some asia tournament or indoor, but it will be 2 years and really he had all the time to come back and he is really not as good as he was. Serve and fitness are definitely worse and even his agressivness is gone, he seems to be way to back. His only luck is that after Nole and Murray out of HC slams in 3-4 years there is nobody to win them from new generation so far, also he can be succesfull at RG in future, but how the times goes he haven´t done nothing to suggest he will become better. I mean everybody here including me thought when he came back we will have now top 5, but really it is either big 3 or big 4 but no big 5 for sure. Honestly is he better than Berdych, Tsonga or Soderling was? He won slam yes, but since his comeback he is not at higher level than those guys are/were. Also his USO victory is overrated. No matter how bad Roger played o.k. he beat him, he was down whole match but won, impressive, but his SF Nadal demolishion wasn´t such impressive considering the fact he was in great form on summer HC and Rafa post-injury 2009 wasn´t as good as Rafa 2008-early09 and his level on fast HC back than wasn´t such impressive.

So look realistically now, we don´t know if Rafa will be back or what his level will be but with Nole and Murray here i have hard time to see him winning HC slams in next 2 years at least, unlees he improove visibly, also i would favour Nole over him at RG+ with his limited fitness RG can be problem.

Imagine Berdych winning this USO-don´t think so, but imagine Berdych ending up 2012 USO champion- he would be immediately greater player, just like him 1 slam + slam F, another slam SF and MAsters 1000 title... besides his USO he haven´t done so much, since his cameback he wasn´t even in slam SF.

#24 ·
He really needs to stay away from injuries.

#25 ·
He will win Roland, because Hoffa will get the best over Nadal soon, and no one is great on clay anymore. Djokovic was not great to say the least, Fed is heading toward the exit, Murray average.

#33 ·
I'll pass judgement atm, let's see how he fares making the SFs. No slam in 2013 anyway imo. 2014+ too far away to say.

#34 ·
No, he won't.

He can't even challenge the top 4 anymore.

Reactions: Andi-M
#42 ·
He might, but it'll be hard for him because he won't be helped by organizers.

#39 ·
How exactly? He has a losing record to all of the Big 4 and has lost to Roger a number of times this year alone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.