Mens Tennis Forums banner

Burj Dubai tops out at 818 m

3K views 65 replies 28 participants last post by  buddyholly 
#1 · (Edited)
512m over the surface. 3m heigher than the Teipei 101. next year it will be finished with a height of 700-900m. nobody really knows the height as it's a secret.

#2 ·
Re: Dubai now has the tallest building in the world

I've heard that its only 2/3 finished, and yet it is already the tallest building in the world.

#11 ·

Does anyone have a clue why Dubai government/business seems to be in competition for this sort of stuff? Beyond my rational sense of belief here.

#12 ·

Does anyone have a clue why Dubai government/business seems to be in competition for this sort of stuff? Beyond my rational sense of belief here.
they want to outgun americans. just imagine how many tourists dubai will have in the future. who doesn't want to be there when everything is finished? it's a dream city.

#13 ·

Have you guys seen what they are doing over the sea? All those artificial islands are something incredible! Check them out over google earth. They are also constructing a skiing mountain... what's next??? the babel tower???

#14 ·

what's next??? the babel tower???
the biggest mall in the world. 4km long and 150m wide with 1500 shops. there will be also another mall which will ranked 2nd worldwide.

but that's not all. dubai will build a few more skyscrapers so that they have the 3 tallest buildings in the world. they plan to have it done in 2012 i guess.

#25 ·

Ljubo has a place in Dubai, i dont know why :lol: i guess when he retires :confused:
Many millionaires and super stars bought houses down in the brand new islands, even Tiger Woods has one :) . They are something amazing already, and they are still under construction. Some special ships are removing sand from the bottom of the sea (desert sand was useless) and locating it on huge piles to form this weird luxurious islands (for example, they are constructing 200 islands that altogether will have the shape of a map of the world). Some people say that they are messing with nature and bad things may happen, but only time'll say if they were right.

#34 ·

i just don't see people relocating permanently. and why would they want to ski in dubai if the alps are around the corner (i take it they wanna sway the western world with those tourism projects, right?)? dubai is currently probably losing billions of dollars by investing in stuff that will never pay off. do you really think this tower is going to be refinanced anytime soon? no way. it's just some egomaniacs trying to impress the rest of the world. the same goes for the airport and all kinds of "ideas" the rulers have had that got built over the last years.

#35 ·

They probably failed to make a profit on most of their investments but it doesn't matter, at least not for the next 50 years or so. They're just trying to generate as much extra income as they can, on top of their oil revenue, by turning themselves into the Monte-Carlo of the middle-east. They're aiming to be a luxurious tax haven and popular tourist destination. Above all, they're just having fun with their money.

#36 ·

well, but turning the city into monte carlo wasn't their initial plan, was it? i remember reading about their goals, the ruler planned to rival london and new york in terms of business, rival singapore in terms of shipping and air transport, rival europe in terms of sights and so on. i don't think they wanna be the "fun location". it'd take much less to achieve that as they could basically stop building now.

#37 ·

Yes of course they want businesses to invest, so does every country.

There's no reason to stop building. They've still got lots of money and there's always room for expansion. Nothing is ever finished.

#38 ·

they are making lots of money with their projects. nearly everything is sold out. don't know what you guys are talking. afraid they could be better than americans?

in dubai around 6% of the population are millionairs. ranked #5 in the world.

#41 ·

Maybe this is foolish, but where does all the water they need for these huge buildings come from? I think of the Gulf States as arid places.

Projected height - 800-950m? :eek:

That's like taking the tallest building in the US and double the height.

#42 ·

I think there is a very large number of Pakistanis, Indians, Filipinos and other poor workers who live in cheap accomodations in Dubai to work on the building projects, and they probably don't have full citizen rights and may not even be counted in official population figures.

#46 ·

the final height has been finally reached. a short review about Burj Dubai:

20.12.2009: Burj Dubai completes.
17.01.2009: Burj Dubai tops out at 818 m.
01.09.2008: Tallest structure ever built.
07.04.2008: Tallest man-made structure.
12.09.2007: Tallest freestanding structure.
21.07.2007: Surpasses Taipei 101.
01.02.2007: Most floors.
21.09.2004: Construction begins.

http://www.burjdubaiskyscraper.com/

#47 ·
People starving everywhere and this waste of money an energy keeps going :sad: :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.