Mens Tennis Forums banner

Rogie's quest: Monte Carlo and Rome....

1K views 15 replies 15 participants last post by  monfed 
#1 ·
Having just won Shanghai, he still needs to win Monte Carlo and Rome to win every Masters Event at least once. It's a shame he blew it at Monte Carlo this year to Wawrinka. Unfortunately the times he made the Rome final Rafa was there waiting for him, but 2014 Monte Carlo was a big opportunity to win and he blew it. For that matter he really had a big chance to win Rome in 2006 I believe, but blew it too. Rogie's biggest goals in 2015 other than grand slams should be Monte Carlo and Rome.

#9 ·
maybe just maybe he will in one

#13 ·
That could equally have been his goal this year; he already won indoors Madrid so he didn't even need to win Shanghai to win the Career Masters.

#14 ·
Monte Carlo and Rome are easily achievable for Roger next year. Nadal could very well be retired by next year and Djokovic will be a father by the clay season. No doubt Djokovic will again feel like the crowd is against him as Jelena will not give birth to twins. Novak's form will inevitably drop and Roger can take the elusive clay titles in fine serve and volley fashion.

#16 ·
I think MC 14 may have been his best chance but never say never. I think the problem is that he skips MC most times. Will he even play it next year? If he plays and somehow avoids Nadal then I don't see why not? He could beat Nole on a hot day and with a little luck could face a more manageable opponent in the final like Cincy? :shrug:

Rome is difficult because it's the premiere clay MS and a great place to establish who the favourite is for RG so all the top players like Djokovic,Nadal will try to win it. 2006 was his best chance and that loss to Nadal in the final is the biggest and most important defeat of his career sadly. That defeat ended his belief that he could beat Nadal on clay atleast in a BOF5 and it cleared the path for Nadal to dominate on clay and RG for years on end. That was Fed's best shot of nipping the hideous topspin plague in the bud but alas he narrowly missed. :sobbing:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.