Mens Tennis Forums banner

Who wins this one?

WWW Shanghai SF: Federer vs Djokovic

12K views 129 replies 82 participants last post by  Ace Pounder 
#1 ·
Should be pretty interesting, Federer played really well tonight, but I still think Djokovic will be too strong for Federer here. He loves playing here.

6-4 6-7 6-3 for Djokovic imo.

#77 ·
Nole looks solid in Asia swing. Federer had slow start and didnt have much trouble in the 2nd set.

I see it in 3. As they usually do.

I think Nole gets this one. Federer is fine beeing nº2 next week.

#81 ·
The 16th of October, 2010, Roger Federer outplayed Novak Djokovic in two sets (7/5 6/4) and showed to the world that his Us Open win was nothing but a lucky fluke. He also put an end to the serbian's winning streak of 9 matches.

Since then, Djokovic has won 28 matches in a row in China :

Beijing 2012
R32 Michael Berrer (GER) 123 W 6-1, 6-7(3), 6-2
R16 Carlos Berlocq (ARG) 50 W 6-1, 6-3
Q Jurgen Melzer (AUT) 37 W 6-1, 6-2
S Florian Mayer (GER) 29 W 6-1, 6-4
W Jo-Wilfried Tsonga (FRA) 7 W 7-6(4), 6-2

ATP World Tour Masters 1000 Shanghai 2012
R64 Bye N/A W
R32 Grigor Dimitrov (BUL) 56 W 6-3, 6-2
R16 Feliciano Lopez (ESP) 29 W 6-3, 6-3
Q Tommy Haas (GER) 21 W 6-3, 6-3
S Tomas Berdych (CZE) 7 W 6-3, 6-4
W Andy Murray (GBR) 3 W 5-7, 7-6(11), 6-3

Beijing 2013
R32 Lukas Rosol (CZE) 46 W 6-0, 6-3
R16 Fernando Verdasco (ESP) 31 W 7-5, 2-6, 6-2
Q Sam Querrey (USA) 30 W 6-1, 6-2
S Richard Gasquet (FRA) 10 W 6-4, 6-2
W Rafael Nadal (ESP) 2 W 6-3, 6-4

ATP World Tour Masters 1000 Shanghai 2013
R64 Bye N/A W
R32 Marcel Granollers (ESP) 36 W 6-2, 6-0
R16 Fabio Fognini (ITA) 17 W 6-3, 6-3
Q Gael Monfils (FRA) 42 W 6-7(4), 6-2, 6-4
S Jo-Wilfried Tsonga (FRA) 9 W 6-2, 7-5
W Juan Martin Del Potro (ARG) 5 W 6-1, 3-6, 7-6(3)

Beijing 2014

R32 Guillermo Garcia-Lopez (ESP) 38 W 6-2, 6-1
R16 Vasek Pospisil (CAN) 41 W 6-3, 7-5
Q Grigor Dimitrov (BUL) 10 W 6-2, 6-4
S Andy Murray (GBR) 11 W 6-3, 6-4
W Tomas Berdych (CZE) 6 W 6-0, 6-2

ATP World Tour Masters 1000 Shanghai 2014

R32 Dominic Thiem (AUS) 39 W 6-2, 6-1
R16 Mikhail Kukushkin (KAZ) 85 W 6-3, 7-5
Q David Ferrer (ESP) 5 W 6-4, 6-2

As you can see, no Federer.

Yeah, you got it.

#84 ·
Story of 2014 for Nose, piss easy draw after piss easy draw, choking opponent after choking opponent, then running into a decent opponent late stages and getting decimated. The fact that he vultured YE#2 on no slams and 1 Masters against Ferrer is absolutely disgusting. Nose is a disgrace to this sport. Faker will clean his clock similarly to what he did to Berdych a week ago. I'll be tuning in for this one to see Fraud exposed once again in 2014.
Yess. Yess.. Hate makes you strong.

#87 ·
In case anyone forgot earlier this year in Dubai, probably here is the match most similar to Shanghai conditions this year. I had forgotten how Djokovic dominated Federer in the first set plus and then Federer came roaring back to take it. I wonder what strategy will be employed this time? I think match pacing is key in all their matches as their levels have mostly been similar with some exceptions. Dubai and Indian Wells were maybe their best and closest of the year.

Respectfully,
masterclass

#92 ·
Im a huge FEDOLE fan and always enjoy watching these 2 play against each other :D, and their matches this year have not disappointed (well except Monte Carlo but Noles wrist was pretty stuffed up then).

Nole now has his 3rd attempt to even up the h2h. Also interesting that Roger is the last player to beat Nole in China.

I want and hope that this will be a 3 setter, will definitely be watching this match with chips and a beer. :)

#93 ·
Djokovic in 3.

#94 ·
One thing that hasn't been taken into account is that Djoker may be popular in China, but against Fed this will be flushed down the toilet. I hope he can do what Murray did in 2012 and really piss the crowd off. Hopefully Djoko doesn't do what he usually does with non support and lose his cool, something he has a habit of doing.

#102 ·
Hopefully Nole makes up for the.......... Berd match
and finds his killer instinct. So many people would pay any sum to see Fed double bageled.
18-18 & a Fed walking handshake is tantalizing no?

#104 ·
this match is everything that's good about tennis. will enjoy it immensely.

#105 ·
Djoker in 3. Fed grabbed 360 points, replaced dull as number 2 and will get a chance to skip paris as he gears up for basel, wtf, and davis cup.

Fed has set himself up for a strong showing in australia where he has a shot to be ranked number 2 and be drawn opposite djoker. Then there is possibilty of nadal being in djoker half which opens a possible trip to the finals for mr federer.

I just want a good quality match. Backerer pushed hardcourtovic to 3 sets when he was getting back to healthy in 2013... I would hope that this would be an exicting match..

How quick are the courts... dubai speed or indian wells/miami ish?

#107 ·
Djoker in 3. Fed grabbed 360 points, replaced dull as number 2 and will get a chance to skip paris as he gears up for basel, wtf, and davis cup.

Fed has set himself up for a strong showing in australia where he has a shot to be ranked number 2 and be drawn opposite djoker. Then there is possibilty of nadal being in djoker half which opens a possible trip to the finals for mr federer.

I just want a good quality match. Backerer pushed hardcourtovic to 3 sets when he was getting back to healthy in 2013... I would hope that this would be an exicting match..

How quick are the courts... dubai speed or indian wells/miami ish?
In between Dubai and IW/Miami

#106 ·
it could go either way.

#109 ·
For some reason, Fed is always able to figure out Nole,

No, not "always." Take a look at how many times Nole straight-setted Fed at slams and vice versa...GOATFed couldn't even "figure out" Djoker at Wimbly these year (on his worst surface).

Fed's been criticized for lacking proper strategies, adapting, and having a plan B against players who are playing really well.

An example of figuring out and adapting is Nadal/Djoker USO 2013. Rafa! Rafa! Rafa! caught Nole flatfooted (even though that cat is out of the bag and I can't see him pulling that off again).

Moral of the story is Nole "doesn't need anything special" to beat Fedal. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.