Mens Tennis Forums banner

Quick Questions Thread

372K views 3K replies 580 participants last post by  umbrellapub 
#1 ·
I think there could be a thread for questions that don't need an own thread. If one already exist, please merge this with it.

Anyway, my question is what is the biggest difference between indoor and outdoor tennis. Naturally there's no wind indoors. And why indoor courts are considered to be faster and how does closing the roof affects at Wimbledon?

Reactions: Motoflou
#194 ·
Re: S.Q.T. (stupid question thread)

yea I remember that one. don't know if the signal is analogic or digital, in case of an analogic signal there would be no delay.

#201 ·

1. Why do a lot of people refer to the US Open as THE Open? Similar tournaments like the Australian Open and the French Open aren't called as such.

2. Does Wimbledon have an official name? There's the Australian Open, US Open and French Open – is Wimbledon the British Open (like in golf)?

#202 ·

1. Why do a lot of people refer to the US Open as THE Open? Similar tournaments like the Australian Open and the French Open aren't called as such.

2. Does Wimbledon have an official name? There's the Australian Open, US Open and French Open – is Wimbledon the British Open (like in golf)?
I can answer number 2. Perhaps that might help in answering number 1 too.

The the official name of Wimbledon is "The Championships, Wimbledon". It used to be known as "The Championships" but I guess with the addition of the other majors it became more convenient to simply call it "Wimbledon".

I have no idea why some refer the the US Open as "The Open". I think it's a bit misleading one mostly only encounters that term on American based media.
Perhaps there is a sense of wanting to emulate "The Championship" in Wimbledon with "The Open" ;)

#203 ·

MTFers sometimes talk about skipping TMSs but how can you skip a mandatory TMS unless you have an injury?

#204 ·

MTFers sometimes talk about skipping TMSs but how can you skip a mandatory TMS unless you have an injury?
You can fake an injury, which most players do in the name of "rest".
Alternatively, you can skip the tournament with the payment of a fine.

From the ATP Rulebook 2012(starting from pg.148,pg.75 for the pdf):
8.03 Player Code of Conduct (“Code”)
A. Entry/Withdrawal Offenses
1) Entry Obligations. No player or team entered into the main draw or moved into
the main draw as a direct acceptance of a tournament may withdraw after the
entry and withdrawal deadline or not appear for first-round match(es) without
penalty as described below
. The Executive Vice President, Rules & Competition
shall make such investigation as is reasonable to determine the facts regarding
any such entry offense and, upon determining that a violation has occurred, shall
specify the fine.
B. Fines
1) ATP World Tour Tournaments
a) The provisions relating to assessment and payment of withdrawal, late withdrawal
or punctuality fines for tournaments are separate from but in addition
to the provisions of the player ATP commitment. The penalties are:
i) Singles
aa) ATP World Tour 250 Only. Withdrawals occurring prior to the 12
noon, Eastern time, USA, Friday withdrawal deadline
South African
Airways ATP
Rankings
(Singles)
Fifth (5th)
Third (3rd) Fourth (4th) and Subsequent
(most recent) Offense Offense Offenses
1 - 10 $10,000 $20,000 $40,000
11 - 25 $5,000 $10,000 $20,000
26 - 50 $2,000 $4,000 $8,000
51-100 $1,000 $2,000 $4,000
101 + $500 $1,000 $2,000
bb) ATP World Tour Masters 1000, ATP World Tour 500 & 250 events.
Withdrawals occurring after the 12 Noon, Eastern Time, USA, Friday
withdrawal deadline (Late Withdrawals):
South African
Airways ATP
Rankings
(Singles)
Third (3rd)*
First (1st) Second (2nd) and Subsequent
(most recent) Offense Offense Offenses
1 - 10 $20,000 $40,000 $80,000
11 - 25 $10,000 $20,000 $40,000
26 - 50 $4,000 $8,000 $16,000
51-100 $2,000 $4,000 $8,000
101 + $1,000 $2,000 $4,000
*For purposes of determining 2nd, 3rd and Subsequent Offenses, only Late
Withdrawals are counted.
b) Fines shall be doubled in the case of any player who would have been seeded,
based on the most recent South African Airways ATP Rankings
(singles).
d) In circumstances that are flagrant and particularly injurious to the success of
a tournament, or are singularly egregious, a single violation of this section
shall also constitute the player Major Offense of Aggravated Behavior

#206 ·

Or they can skip if they meet one of three requirements which I'm sure some can point out (one is being 31 years old or older in the year before).
From the ATP Rulebook 2012,pg.12(pg.7 of the PDF):

1.08 Reduction of ATP World Tour Masters 1000 Commitment
A. A player’s number of ATP World Tour Masters 1000 commitment tournaments shall
be reduced by one (1) tournament for reaching each of the following milestones:
1) 600 matches* (as of 1 January of the commitment year);
2) 12 years of service;
3) 31 years of age (as of 1 January of the commitment year).
If all three (3) conditions are met then the player has a complete exemption
from the ATP World Tour Masters 1000 player commitment.

The first Year of Service shall be the first calendar year in which a player has
competed in at least twelve (12) tournaments offering ranking points.
* From 2010 only main draw singles matches played in the following
events will be used in the player’s match count for purposes of this rule.
ATP World Tour
Barclays ATP World Tour Final
Grand Slams
Davis Cup
Olympics
Challenger and Futures matches played prior to 2010 will remain on the player’s
record as relates to this commitment reduction rule.
B. A player who is eligible for a reduction of his ATP World Tour Masters 1000 commitment
tournaments must be in good standing with the ATP in order to receive a reduction
of required ATP World Tour Masters 1000 commitment tournaments.

#207 ·

Har-Tru clay courts are faster than red clay but why is that? And isn't maroon clay like Har-Tru?

#209 ·

I think Yankees call USO as The Open for the same reasons as Brits call golf's British Open simply as The Open, it's their own open championship.

#211 ·

What is that they call 'eye formation'?
Has any team ever given a match 'walk over' in a Davis Cup Tie? Not the complete Tie, only a match.
It's not the eye formation but rather the "i formation" as in the letter i. That's because the players are in line with each other just as the letter i where the line and the dot are in line with each other ;) At least that's how I interpret it. I'm sure there has been quite a few walkovers for example in this Wikipedia article about the German Davis Cup team it says :

After three 5–0 whitewashes against Brazil, Denmark and Yugoslavia Germany once again met Sweden. Now it was Sweden's turn to lose at home. Germany secured its triumph in the third match, the double. Carl-Uwe Steeb and Boris Becker had defeated Mats Wilander and Stefan Edberg, respectively, before the German double consisting of Becker and Eric Jelen defeated Edberg and Anders Järryd in five sets. The fourth match which was shortened to best of three was won by Edberg before Sweden let Germany get its fourth point by a walkover.

#215 ·

I was thinking about something strange, uncany at least. Did it happen during an ATP tour tournament that a player wins a match with a blatant injury, or illness, something really debilitating, that would cause many other players to retire or severly incapacitate them?
I am not talking about a long-lasting pain like Nadal's tendonitis, blisters. No I mean an injury that occured during a match, and the guy takes a MTO, just to keep playing to the end, but actually wins the match instead. I wonder if it happened really, with the guy playing at 20% and still win, people shouting, opponent getting mad at referee, this kind of stuff... :)

#217 ·

I was thinking about something strange, uncany at least. Did it happen during an ATP tour tournament that a player wins a match with a blatant injury, or illness, something really debilitating, that would cause many other players to retire or severly incapacitate them?
I am not talking about a long-lasting pain like Nadal's tendonitis, blisters. No I mean an injury that occured during a match, and the guy takes a MTO, just to keep playing to the end, but actually wins the match instead. I wonder if it happened really, with the guy playing at 20% and still win, people shouting, opponent getting mad at referee, this kind of stuff... :)
Did you miss the Fognini-Monaco match at last years RG? Most epic example of that happening in a while :lol:

#216 ·

happened about 1,000 times

#220 ·

You Guys know why Grand slams are played in the same order every year?
There probably isn't one specific answer, but rather many reasons. One could be that they all play into the surface's season because AO is during the Summer HC season, RG is during the clay season, W is during the grass season, and USO is part of the fall HC season.

#224 ·

I found out another reason.
A, B, C, D, E.....

A = Aus Open
F = French Open
T = The Championship, Wimbledon
U = US Open

Alphabetic Order?!!!
:haha:

#222 ·

I've been wondering this, why do so many Croatian players are tall and big-serving?

#225 ·

This is more of a question about a current situation.

In KL qualies Karosi had a 1st round bye an then was schedule to meet top seed Vasek Pospisil in round 2. However shortly after the draw was made Pospisil got direct entry to KL, and so Karosi was given a Walkover into round 3.

Now my question is does Karosi get the 6 points for making the final round of qualifying?

Normally in such a case where the top seed in qualifying gets moved into the main draw there's an ALT to replace them, in this case there was none, the draw sucked so bad most players had round 1 byes. Also in most cases there is no byes so even with 1 walkover there haven't reached the stage where that would give them ranking points.

Also in cases such as this before when the top seed moves into the main draw they don't give his opponent a walkover, they just remove his name from the draw a give his opponent a bye in which case he would not recieve the points, but they did not do that in this case.

I could wait until next Monday to see if he now has a ranking with those free 6 ranking points or not but does anyone here know or see the situation before? imo it would be incredably unfair for an unranked player to get 6 points for a bye and essentially what is usally a 2nd bye which in this case was called a walkover.

#229 ·

0 20 18 19 17 0 11 8 0 13 14 15 4 13 -AUSTRALIAN OPEN
5 17 4 13 2 7 14 15 4 13 -FRENCH OPEN
22 8 12 1 11 4 3 14 13 -WIMBLEDON
20 18 14 15 4 13 -US OPEN

Holy ballsack! If you change the letters to numbers, the first letter/number goes in chronological order(besides Wimbledon and US Open, but who gives a spit? It's still the only reason that the slams are in that order!)

#232 ·

he doesn't get any points

#234 ·
#238 ·

I always wondered how much refs actually get paid.
I remember there being a discussion on this (btw your question is not stupid) at the USO a few years ago because some of best umpires went missing due to the low rates. $500 a match I think was mentioned but not sure. That's for umpires.