Mens Tennis Forums banner

Federer's 5 title goal for 2014

4K views 39 replies 33 participants last post by  masterclass 
#1 ·
At the end of 2013, when looking ahead to the next season Roger said he wanted to feel healthy next season and get back to winning titles - around 5 titles would be a good season. One tournament down in 2014, how many titles can he win and what are the best chances to be a part of the target 5? Remaining tournaments in his calendar:

- AO
- Dubai
- IW
- Miami
- Madrid
- Rome
- Roland Garros
- Halle
- Wimbledon
- Rogers Cup
- Cincinnati
- US Open
- Shanghai
- Basel
- Paris
- WTF

I think Halle, Wimbledon, Cincy, Basel and Paris are his best shots. Dubai an outside chance if someone takes out Novak.

See less See more
#4 ·
If Federer can win a slam and be a complete mug outside of that, that will be a great season for him.

Realistically, 1 250, 1 500 and a M1000 final would be okay top 10 season. A poor season would be playing without injury and still falling out of the top 10.

#8 ·
I don't know who even cares about this schedule or at least who believes it. For instance at the beggining of the last season Federer never said he will play Gstaad or Hamburg and there were even rumours that he won't even play Basel. Yet he played all those tournament and yet he won only Halle. I can't see any way Federer wins 5 titles without vulturing some so this schedule is invalid

#38 ·
I don't know who even cares about this schedule or at least who believes it. For instance at the beggining of the last season Federer never said he will play Gstaad or Hamburg and there were even rumours that he won't even play Basel. Yet he played all those tournament and yet he won only Halle. I can't see any way Federer wins 5 titles without vulturing some so this schedule is invalid
Won 5 with tournaments belonging to the schedule in OP.

#17 ·
fed can't even win Brisbane but halle is definitely his :lol:

#18 ·
2014 will be much better than 2013 no doubt.

This was the 1st tournament of the season. Roger will only get better as he gets used to the new racquet.

2 things concern me though. 1st is his physical condition, he just can't get that tired because he played like 5 matches 2 of which were doubles. Secondly, his mental walkabouts during the matches, like today's 1st set are very concerning and are allowing lesser players to beat him more often.

A QF showing in the AO would be a good result and I'm confident he will make it there.

#25 ·
Secondly, his mental walkabouts during the matches, like today's 1st set are very concerning and are allowing lesser players to beat him more often.
This worries me as well, its been happening to often lately, in 2013 and now. He needs to fix that.

2 things concern me though. 1st is his physical condition, he just can't get that tired because he played like 5 matches 2 of which were doubles.
Tbf, the temperature in Brisbane in the last two days was around 34-39°C, it was very hot so I think that's the reason why he was very tired.

#20 ·
Its still early but from we saw in Brisbane it wont be a very good 2014.

Im not bashing Fed but there isnt much chance to win a GS. Hes stuck on 17. But he could realisticly make qf or maybe a SF in a GS. He might have a few chances in Masters1000 if Nole and Murray dont play.

Hope he gets a few more titles so his confidence maintains high.

#33 ·
Last time I checked, Rafa also entered and played Shanghai, but I'll grant he was only at maybe 47.5% of his best. :( No matter, you have to play to win. On the other hand, if you don't play, at least you can't lose. So you have to look for the good in every situation. ;)

Respectfully,
masterclass

#23 ·
Agree about Rafa, I think 13' was his best chance, couldn't do it, so I can't see him taking it ever now.

#24 ·
Yeah I think 2014 might be Nadal's last year as a serious contender on all surfaces. He'll make WTF a few more times, but it will become his resume stain I feel, not winning one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.