Mens Tennis Forums banner

Whic streak is the most impressive?

+ 40-match winning streak, which one the most impressive?

26K views 169 replies 81 participants last post by  Schumacher 
#1 · (Edited)
Five players in the Open era were unbeaten through at least 40 consecutive matches which is impressive without any doubts, especially considering that D'Joke who looks unbeatable has just overcome "only" 20.

==============================

What's above was written on March 27, today is June 3, and I've added Djokovic to the opening post :)

Here are the 6 best streaks:

1978: 49 - Bjorn Borg (43 tournament wins + 6 Davis Cup rubbers)

Won 6 titles during the streak, including 2 majors

Surfaces: (22 clay, 12 carpet, 8 hard, 7 grass)

Number of "the best of five" matches: 26

- Borg gave two walkovers during the streak, after wins No. 13 & 14
- he had also a 48-match winning streak in years 1979-80, but the streak included 3 invitational tournaments, however, recognized by ATP as his official titles; during that streak gave one walkover, after win No. 7

1977: 46 - Guillermo Vilas (44 + 2)

7 titles, including 1 major

Surfaces: (46 clay)

Number of "the best of five" matches: 9

1981-82: 44 - Ivan Lendl (44 + 0)

8 titles, including 'Masters'

Surfaces: (21 hard, 19 clay, 4 carpet)

Number of "the best of five" matches: 2

2010-11: 43 - Novak Djokovic (41 + 2)

7 titles, including 1 major

Surfaces: (26 hard, 17 clay)

Number of "the best of five" matches: 13

1984: 42 - John McEnroe (40 + 2)

8 titles, including 'Masters'

Surfaces: (27 carpet, 15 clay)

Number of "the best of five" matches: 8

2006-07: 41 - Roger Federer (39 + 2)

6 titles, including 2 majors

Surfaces: (36 hard, 5 carpet)

Number of "the best of five" matches: 19

:wavey:

See less See more
#92 ·
i don't think the hanescu match counts as a win because of the retirement,

#95 ·
Keep it going Nole. Keep the GF diet up. :D

He overtook Roger's 41 match winning streak :rocker:

#97 ·
simply the greatest streak ever, congrats in advance to his fans whenever it ends.......

Reactions: ZaZoo)
#98 ·
:yeah: :hug:

#100 ·
(Day 7) Streak Watch: Delay doesn't derail Djokovic
He won his 40th consecutive match of the season Saturday with a 6-3, 3-6, 6-3, 6-2 victory over the game -- very game -- del Potro. He now finds himself only three matches from surpassing John McEnroe's Open era record of 42 straight to start a season, set in 1984. Going back to last year's Davis Cup final, Djokovic is 42-0; Guillermo Vilas (46) and Ivan Lendl (44) are the only men who did better.

Lendl has always been a hard-to-please cynic when it comes to today's players. As the winner of eight Grand Slam singles titles, it is his right. He doesn't watch a lot of tennis these days, but he's been following Djokovic very closely. Fifteen minutes after the match, he knew the score.

"The guy is playing phenomenal tennis,"
said Lendl, who was traveling to his native Czech Republic, from the airport in Vienna, Austria. "He has improved his conditioning, and therefore the mental part of his game, which was his weakness.

"I don't want to call myself a doubter, but I'm starting to believe in this guy. In the Rome final, he took Rafa apart -- he didn't have any answers. It was like picking the cherries off the tree."
:dance:

#101 ·
We should know how many points is value of every streak here. 5 wins in a row could mean 250pt at low events or 1000pt at Masters level. Djoke's streak value is about 7000pt, Federer streak is maybe more valuable but he was avoidin some mandatory events and used to need more time(how many weeks ??) .
And i think that Vilas streak might be havin less than 4000pt

#103 ·
Guillermo Vilas (46) and Ivan Lendl (44) are the only men who did better.
Well that's not true, as Voo has already proven in the first post of this thread.

#107 ·
Djokovic by far. He's beaten every player there is. He's beaten every game style there is. and He's done it all with ease. Oh i forgot Novak's streak will surpass the 40s, who knows when it will end. He has no weaknesses and his strengths are the best of the best The ultimate tennis player.

#108 ·
Djokovic by far. He's beaten every player there is. He's beaten every game style there is. and He's done it all with ease. Oh i forgot Novak's streak will surpass the 40s, who knows when it will end. He has no weaknesses and his strengths are the best of the best The ultimate tennis player.
There is so many game styles today.. kudos for that

#109 ·
This is the end of the 4th best winning streak in the Open era:

2010-11: 43 - Novak Djokovic (41 tournament wins + 2 Davis Cup rubbers)

Won 7 titles, including 1 major

Surfaces: (26 hard, 17 clay)

Number of "the best of five" matches: 13

#113 ·
This is now the greatest streak for me. Might be a little short purely just on the numbers, but it was all big tournaments and his domination over Federer and Nadal (on clay, no less) is simply remarkable.
Shame it came to an end, but it had to, at some point. And its a gem as it stands. One for the record books.

Nice article, Voo.

#116 ·
and again the very next week, no less, to really rub it in.
pretty weak way to finish a streak. much prefer novak's, actually get beaten in a proper battle, not mug it up.

#125 ·
At the time when Novak's wining streak was over, he also had the second best wining streak in Masters 1000 tournaments (according to Voo de Mar - http://voodemar.com/?p=2551), Federer 29, Djokovic 22, but after the RG Novak won Montreal MS1000 (+5 wins), then lost in the final of Cincinati (+4 wins), so with 31 consecutive wins in MS1000 tournaments he now owns that record too?!

#132 ·
No1e's, of course.

#133 ·
Federer got away with playing very few Davis Cup ties. Fed fans try to pad the number of Davis Cup wins by including his easy doubles matches from 2002-3.

Djoker & Nadal had success without needing clown draws for 5+ years, and they didn't go around bragging about destroying the competition despite facing a bunch of pigeons/injured opponents. A true champion just wins and doesn't rely on propaganda & lies to elevate his status.

#138 ·
Vilas was cheated out of an amazing record.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.