Votes: 6 28.6%
  • No

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • After RG 2015

Votes: 8 38.1%

Let's Settle this Down: GOAT

4K views 68 replies 35 participants last post by  Mr.Black 
#1 ·
Seeing what we see now, can we say the goat argument is over?

Longevity, after all, is one of the factors for GOAT. You know...

#2 ·
More people from TT migrating here :yeah:

Welcome OddJack :)

#3 ·
Until someone wins the same amount of slams as Roger then the GOAT discussion is unnecessary. Simple as that, anybody who dares to say otherwise is an idiot.

Reactions: Guybrush
#47 ·
Theres more to it than slam count. If Djokovic were to finish his career with the GRANDSLAM. 15 slams, 35 masters and 350 weeks as World number one. It won't be hard for his fans to make the argument that overall he is the greatest player to ever pick up a raquet

#6 ·
This argument was always pointless for the simple reason that comparing across eras is impossible. There is no GOAT.

Reactions: Mimi
#8 ·
Yes there is. Roger has 17 slams, 3 more than anybody else. He is the GOAT.

#7 ·
OddJack;n13304156 said:
Ladies and Gentlemen,

This has been a strange spring, because we have had snow. The courts that we play on are covered with white and fluffy snow. It has made the environment quieter that it should be, our balls have no bounce, the speed of the court is too slow, our Chair Umpires would not respond or communicate with us or even acknowledge the issue,

Time to move.

I have made the same user name over mens tennis forums .com

I have made a thread called: Let's Settle This Down

it's nice over there, check it out. It's free
Thats my post

#13 ·
Yes, there is. He's Swiss and currently holds 17 slams.
Rod Laver has 18. He is the GOAT.

Argument.
Wrong.
Only deluded Fedtards and biased Nadulltards claimed that there was a GOAT in absolute sense.
Really difficult to compare eras (even with different raquets and string technology), so I pass this one.
You mean how it was easier to win the major titles back in the 50s and 60s so they don't compare at all to the open era? Aye, I agree.

Honestly, Laver was great but his earlier wins don't mean much in the grand scheme of things when they were easier. I only look at results from the start of the open eras onwards when things became more difficult.

#10 ·
Well, it's pretty much between three players: Laver, Gonzales and Rosewall.

#20 ·
Just a question: does it really matter if we know whose the GOAT? Maybe this is sacrilege in a sports forum, but I never get how proving a fan's favorite player's greatness would do anything to the fan itself...I mean, cool, your player is the Greatest, but what does it prove to you?

#24 ·
GOAT debate was over in 2009 and in 2012 Roger put final cover on it becoming top ranked player, breaking Pete's record.

Nadull is just 1 D clay moon baller who never was a part of debate and never will be!

Reactions: Xoil
#49 ·
Roger has ? Marks over his claim to be Goat. Most embarrassing one is how easily Nadal owned his ass. Honestly how can a man be called GOAT. When his nearest rival handed him his ass 23 times out of 33.

You can claim FEDERER is THE MOST SUCCESSFUL GRANDSLAM CHAMPION of alltime. Of that there can be no argument. But greatest PLAYER NEVER. Nadal has owned him. An now Djokovic will own him.

Djokovic could end up being a LEGITIMATE contender for GOAT because OVERALL he is likely to win more than FEDERER. Will have SUPERIOR H2H records against Nadal and FEDERER. And also will eventually have most weeks as world number one. Giving him TRUE DOMINATION. That FEDERER NEVER HAD. Because Nadal absolutely owned him.

FEDERER fans have got to eventually own up to that fact...

#26 ·
Not a Fedtard here, but I think it's pretty clear that Roger is the GOAT. I love Nadal but he's not in the conversation until he matches many more of Fed's records. IMO, the GOAT debate isn't only about pure talent either, where I think Fed again edges out everyone, it's principally about results. So Borg is out of the running. Djokovic looks like he'll hit the teens in slams and he may merit the GOAT title if he nears Roger's 17. I don't think it's purely down to slams.

#33 · (Edited)
Yes, because tennis started in 2003 :worship:

There might be no GOAT, but a large part of the fanbases of the current would-be-GOATs have reasoning and perspective of a goat. Or not even that, a turkey prolly.

#31 ·
Part of Fed's genius is his economy of movement. He's so aware of position and so agile that he seems to have preternatural reflexes. I think this has afforded him the longevity that he enjoys. Whereas I think Rafa has just gone balls to the wall because he had to. Djoko may very well start feeling the effects of all that retrieving sooner rather than later, though his stretching routine seems brilliant.

#35 ·
Messi is not the GOAT. Not even close.

#44 ·
Rosewall is GOAT for me. His prime years were completely dissolved through the pro slam era, which he dominated. His 1972 WCT win over Laver was also legendary, the greatest match of all time.

#48 ·
GOAT is a subjective assessment, never an objective one.

#53 ·
Messi is one of the best players of all-time, not sure if he's the best as he needs some greater success with his national team. That being said, chico is going way too far by saying 'not even close', can't I'm surprised since he said Messi isn't even in the top 10 greatest footballers ever in another thread. :lol:

#61 · (Edited)
Sorry to break it to the deluded fanboys here but your only stances toward GOAT are the following:

Roger Federer is the greatest tennis player of all time
Conclude that there is no GOAT

You decide, because the GOAT race pretty much ended after Nadull’s loss to Stan in the AO final in 2014. He lost an assload of momentum after that. After this, we took a trip around the sun and “Rafa” once again only won on clay. It’s over. Roger is the greatest.

Roger Federer
=
GOAT

Suck it, bitches. "Rafa" had MANY chances to make things interesting on the GOAT scale but he didn't take them. It's not so bad with Roger on top is it?

#65 ·
The only tennis legend to have definitely stated who the GOAT is, is this guy-

http://espn.go.com/tennis/story/_/i...greatest-tennis-player-ever-not-roger-federer
SINGAPORE -- Andre Agassi says Rafael Nadal should be considered the greatest tennis player ever, not Roger Federer.

Agassi made the comments in an interview with Singapore newspaper Straits Times, saying Nadal's achievements are more impressive because he has had to deal with tougher competition.

Federer has 17 Grand Slam titles to Nadal's 13, although the Spaniard leads his Swiss rival 23-10 in head-to-head meetings.

Agassi is quoted as saying that "I'd put Nadal No. 1, Federer No. 2," adding that "it's just remarkable to me what he has done, and he has done it all during Federer's prime."

"Nadal had to deal with Federer, [Novak] Djokovic, [Andy] Murray in the golden age of tennis," said Agassi, himself a former world No. 1. "He has done what he has done, and he's not done yet."

#66 ·
Cocaine is a helluva drug.

#69 ·

Love how he still chews his tongue on BH hit :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.