Mens Tennis Forums banner

Steve Johnson

49K views 242 replies 35 participants last post by  alfonsojose 
#1 ·
Might as well create a thread for this guy. NCAA champ. Didn't lose a college match from November onwards.

He's currently in the $15k future tournament in Sacramento. He's into the semis after beating top seed and world #240 Philip Bester. Hasn't lost a set yet.

#184 ·
Great week

one more match away from his first ATP final but still have a great week

#193 ·
Finally He is now in TOp 50 first time

#196 ·
what's next for steve?

#205 ·
PARIS -- Sergiy Stakhovsky's serve in the 12th game of the second set was called good, but Steve Johnson saw the ball out by an inch or so and called the chair umpire onto the court. He did not concur.

"Chair gets up and he's like, 'No, there's space. The mark is not complete,'" Johnson explained afterward. "The mark to me is complete."

Johnson shrugged and apologized to Stakhovsky, saying, "I didn't mean to stop you for a minute. I'm not trying to stall here. I'm just really curious as to why this is actually in.' "

Two years ago, in a first-round match against Richard Gasquet, Stakhovsky famously (and hilariously) snapped a smartphone picture of a ball mark that he thought indicated a wayward serve from the Frenchman. Stakhovsky did not win the appeal and was later fined $2,000 for his insolence.
Steve Johnson has made his second straight third-round appearance at a Grand Slam. Kenzo Tribouillard/AFP/Getty Images

Johnson, a two-time NCAA singles champion, advanced to the third round Wednesday after coming from behind to defeat Stakhovsky 2-6, 6-3, 7-6 (5), 7-6 (6). After the match concluded, Stakhovsky inspected the spot and conceded his serve was long.

"I would've said it was out, hands down," Stakhovsky told Johnson.

Joked Johnson, "I should have pulled out my phone like you did a couple years ago. He says, 'Oh, yeah, that's a couple thousand-dollar mistake. I wouldn't do that.'"

And so, Johnson's 85,000 euros in prize money so far ($78,000) will not be garnished by the International Tennis Federation. It was yet another win for the American men here at Roland Garros. For while the American women had a difficult time in the first round, going a dismal 4-for-17, upon further review, the men are doing just fine.

On the other side of the draw, John Isner and Jack Sock play winnable second-round matches Thursday.

Afterward, Johnson talked about surviving those two Grand Slam tiebreakers, the ultimate crucible in professional tennis.

"I think it's just a sign of maybe I'm maturing a little bit," he said afterward. "Maybe in the past I would've lost my cool. I kind of stayed calm.

"I'm not playing a fifth set, so I'm happy to be here."

Johnson next plays 2014 Australian Open champion Stan Wawrinka, a four-set winner over Dusan Lajovic, in a third-round match on Friday. It will be their first career meeting.

"[Wawrinka is] a great tennis player," Johnson said. "He's in the top 10 for a reason.

"Couple years ago, I would've been so happy to get to the third round. It's like, 'Great, I exceeded expectations by getting to this point.' In my mind, I'm here to win. I'm not here to be complacent making it to Friday. I'm going to walk out on the court on Friday with the mentality that I'm going to come out a winner."
http://espn.go.com/tennis/french15/...en-steve-johnson-shows-toughness-four-set-win

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.