Mens Tennis Forums banner

The "RF" chat thread

393K views 3K replies 185 participants last post by  R 
#1 · (Edited)
As the administrators are closing threads I think they will do the same with the chat thread which Claire started. Threads are only allowed to get 5 000 posts, then they are going to get closed in order to help to make the forum go faster.

So I think it's time to start a new chat thread in the Federer forum :) I didn't knew which name to choose for the thread, suggestions are welcome.

Let's make this a thread of nice discussions, interesting questions of the days and hopefully many happy moments for Roger and us :)

People posting in this thread:

anon57 -> Kimberly
arm ->
biological -> Sophie
Chiudi-fan -> Yvo
clever1980 -> Tarrie
Eden -> Doris
Federerhingis -> Luis
icedevil0289 -> Usha
infinityfed -> Nadine
juninhOH ->
*Ljubica* -> Rose
lunahielo -> Luna
mangoes -> Sheryl
Mrs. B. -> Eva
neenah -> Nina
Rita -> Rita
Spirit fire -> Blair
Stupid Dream -> Karin
Suktuen ->
trickcy -> Lekha
Venle -> Venla

See less See more
#2,352 ·
Re: The "17 is our new favorite number" chat thread

Thi title was changed after Roger won Wibledon. Let's bring him more luck waiting 1st the 18 and change the title after he wins again a new slam.

:eek: If I think of my weeks in the signiture I didn't updated :sad:

#2,353 ·

Karin, I didn't knew you wished my Happy Birthday in here as well :lol:

See you in 13 hours :hug:

Luna, I'm travelling to Amsterdam in a few hours and meet Karin there :)

Can't wait to see some live tennis again and meet so many great people again :dance:

Duong, I'm always open for new thread names.

Seeing Roger on the Harley

I'm thinking of renaming the thread into "Born to be wild" chat thread :p ;)

Let's keep fingers crossed for the Swiss Davis Cup team everyone :)

See you next week :wavey:

#2,354 ·

[Seeing Roger on the Harley

I'm thinking of renaming the thread into "Born to be wild" chat thread :p ;)
What an excellent idea! :hearts:

Let's keep fingers crossed for the Swiss Davis Cup team everyone :)

See you next week :wavey:
Hope you enjoyed Amsterdam today Doris - we were very lucky with the lovely weather today I think, now let's just hope it will be the same for the coming couple of days - the forecast for tomorrow is rather bad, but it should get better come Saturday and Sunday. :bounce:

#2,358 ·

Doris and Karin
have fun @ DC
I'm so jealous
if you get to see Roger tell him we love him :D
can't wait to hear all about it.
Hi Kat :)

I didn't get to talk to Roger. He was just one metre away from me at the Apero but other people were already saying something to him and I didn't get the opportunity to congratulate him on his great summer and the Davis Cup victory.

It was just an incredible weekend we had in Amsterdam. When I arrived on Thursday I met up with Karin and we did a bit of sightseeing on a boat.
Unfortunately I didn't had such a good seat in the stadion compared to the one I had in Fribourg (2nd row and now row 21st) but it's always fun to sit in the Swiss fan block and do the singing (Hopp Schwiiz or On est la).
Conditions on Friday were terrible with the rain and wind. I wasn't prepared for that kind of weather but fortunately my Swiss friend who was sitting beside me had space under her umbrella. I also got a plastic raincoat by another fan.
As we were sitting behind the players bench we didn't got to see the players and I just saw later on that evening on TV that Roger was wearing a hat and scarf during Stan's match.
Friday evening I went out for dinner with some people and we landed in an Argentinian restaurant.
On Saturday the weather was much better than Friday but unfortunately Fedrinka didn't play a good match.
The atmosphere in the stadion was still great though. They played all kind of party songs like and which you could easily sing to. Unfortunately it made it to difficult to get sometimes some kind of other supporting songs for your team started which you usually sing at the Davis Cup.
Well, we went on a tram with a few people to go into the city and there was a group of Dutch fans onto it as well. They started to sing and we did our fan songs then.
That was really funny because they were about 30 people probably and we were just 6 but just 4 of us were singing actually :lol:
There was only one Swiss fan amongst us, me being German and the other 4 from the Netherlands which one being from the UK actually.
The other passengers on the tram also seemed to enjoy the fun we had.
Well, our little group ended in a restaurant and because it was such a nice evening we were sitting outside, having some bottles of wine and continued to sing.
We laughed the whole time and just had a blast.
I went away with 2 of the fans later on then but couldn't find my way to the hotel from where we were. So I stopped a taxi. Unfortunately the driver later on went into the brakes suddenly and we landed on a turf.
He called his taxi office and then also the police came. They asked me what had happened and if I was ok. The driver also had asked me this before but fortunately I didn't had any pain but he felt his neck. The policeman wrote down my name and address and said that I should call them back when I would feel any pain. Then he drove me to my hotel. I told him that I always seem to get into something when I'm in the Netherlands and mentioned the cast I got in Rotterdam earlier this year :lol: He wished me better luck for my next visit.
Well, on Sunday we got to see Roger play again which is of course always a pleasure but I would have prefered it for him that he could have get some rest.
Fortunately the deciding match didn't took that long for him then and we were all happy for the Swiss team.
Marco played the dead rubber then and we all hoped it would last a little bit longer because we wanted to sing a bit more :lol:
In the end he lost in 2 sets though and then it was time for me to join the supporters of the Swiss team as we would go to the apero.
We had to wait some time and it got so hot in the hall we were in but we were singing and just having a great time.
Finally the Swiss team appeared and you have seen what happened then ;)

The guys wrote autographs and posted for pictures but it was so crowded and I couldn't even lift my Swiss jacket to get it signed by Roger or Stan. I managed to get Marco's signature on it though. He asked if he should sign on the white cross or the black. But there's no black on the jacket - just red and white :p I told him he should use the white space.
As already said I didn't get to talk to Roger but it doesn't really matter. I just enjoyed it to see him up so close again :hearts:
After the players had gone me and 2 other fans met up with Karin and 2 other fans in a restaurant and we had a nice evening there then with some singing and encounters with Dutch people.
It was time then to say goodbye to each other and I went back to my hotel.
I wanted to ask something at the reception desk but there were already other people standing so I decided to go into the bar for a drink. I got approached by someone who wanted to know if I'm Swiss. It turned out that he once worked for Stan and we ended up chatting for 2 hours.
That was a really great end of the evening.
The next morning I went back home and I'm already looking forward to go to Basel in a few weeks :)

#2,360 ·
Re: The "We are singing ON EST LA ON EST LA" chat thread

nice report, Doris :bigclap: thanks! :D
+1! What a great weekend you had :D

The atmosphere sounds really great. I went to the USA vs. Spain DC last year and found it was rather dull :rolleyes:.
Glad you got to meet up with some old friends and new ones!
Don't get hurt when you go to Basel :p
I'm so jealous. I wish I lived in Europe. :(

#2,362 ·

Hi, I am new here,and can anybody tell the rules or anything? What is this thread all abt? :D
this is just a chat thread where people who post on the Fed forum can talk about off-topic stuff going on in their lives without clogging up the other threads.

Well, maybe watching Roger play at the Davis Cup isn't really 'off-topic' ;) ... but it's also a post about other experiences she had that weekend.

#2,386 ·

:wavey: Quite a while, no see...

Just a slight update, I've been busy lately. Three law cases to deal with, one won :armed: :ras:, two of them settled in mutual agreement out of court. :bounce:

You know.... 'everyone' hates lawyers, until they're in need of one, eh.
And that's when and where I come to the fold. :eek:

As for private life, BF is back on the bike again. :banana:
Pretty much fantastic, three months after a severe hip fracture.

In other words - Me. Is. Happy. :D

Hmmmm hmmmm Doris I wonder who that Swiss person was who was with you THAT Saturday night ;-)

Have to addmit it was a blast hehehe - still have to laught when I think about it - especially about the "fan-competition" in the tram hehehehe
That was SO FUNNY!!! I have no words. Yes I was there. :D
:hug: Doris!

#2,377 ·

Damn I dreamed we were in 2013 and Roger had just won Wimbledon again (Murray won AO and Djokovic won the French). It felt so real that when I woke up I was still under the impression it was true. And LOL at his opponent in the final: Marat Safin. By the end of the match, Roger had a break up in the 5th and looked very tired, the same as Safin. Then something happen on the TV and I couldn't watch the rest of the match. After a while the TV worked again and I was seeing the trophy ceremony, but I still didn't know who won the match. Then Roger appeared cradling the trophy while Safin held the plate. Both looked incredibly fatigued, sweaty and had their faces swollen (huge wtf).

btw where is Rita? My MSN account got blocked because I forgot my password and I lost contact with her.

edit- haha I remember thinking "they can't say any bad thing about Safin now, he was just in a final 13 years after his first title" :D:D

#2,378 ·

Damn I dreamed we were in 2013 and Roger had just won Wimbledon again (Murray won AO and Djokovic won the French). It felt so real that when I woke up I was still under the impression it was true. And LOL at his opponent in the final: Marat Safin. By the end of the match, Roger had a break up in the 5th and looked very tired, the same as Safin. Then something happen on the TV and I couldn't watch the rest of the match. After a while the TV worked again and I was seeing the trophy ceremony, but I still didn't know who won the match. Then Roger appeared cradling the trophy while Safin held the plate. Both looked incredibly fatigued, sweaty and had their faces swollen (huge wtf).
:lol:

Those tennis related dreams are always weird.

I guess though that a lot of people would love to see another match between Roger and Marat but even more so we would love to see our man lifting that Wimbledon trophy one more time :angel:

btw where is Rita? My MSN account got blocked because I forgot my password and I lost contact with her.
You can contact her here via PM as she is still around on the forum ;)

#2,387 ·

I don't really know where to ask this, so I guess I'll start here. Thanks in advance to you all.

Does anybody know any more details about Roger's exhibition tour in South America?

The official website is still withholding details, despite the action being just over a month away.

It's not that I have any chance of getting over there :)lol:) but it would be nice to know a bit more about it.

:hug: Thank you! And sorry for bothering you.

#2,388 ·

here's what I know:

Thu Dec 6 - Sao Paulo, Brazil ... (vs Bellucci/Tsonga)
Fri Dec 7- Sao Paulo, Brazil ... (vs Bellucci/Tsonga)
Sat Dec 8 - Sao Paulo, Brazil ... (vs Bellucci/Tsonga)
(Others participants include Maria Sharapova, Serena Williams, Caroline Wozniacki, Victoria Azarenka, Bruno Soares, Marcelo Melo, Mike Bryan and Bob Bryan)
http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Global/Issues/2012/08/28/Events-and-Attractions/Gillette.aspx

Wed Dec 12 - Tigre, Argentina ... (vs Del Po)
Thu Dec 13- Tigre, Argentina ... (vs Del Po)
http://www.batravelguide.com/2012/08/roger-federer-and-juan-martin-del-potro.html

Fri Dec 15 - Colombia ... (vs Tsonga)
http://vive.tuboleta.com/shows/show.aspx?sh=UFEDERER

Only the Brazil one is consistently associated with "Gillette" :scratch: not really sure what that's about. The Colombian one is sponsored by Bancolombia (a bank, I guess).

Reactions: The Prince
#2,399 · (Edited)
Re: The "Thanks for a wondeRFul season" chat thread

Hi :wavey:

Lawyers have a pretty tough job Karin .What type of law do you practise ?
:) - I work as a freelance consultant, mostly offering my assistance in 'simple' cases - complaints about (local) governmental decisions (oh dear! taxes! :help:) and common consumer troubles. :)

However I got my LLM most of all in criminal law subjects, civil law was a side-subject for me. Participating in human rights issue-activist groups is still a main point of attention for me, but I do that kind of work for free, as I think it's a very important matter in our society nowadays, especially the rather underrated important matter of 'privacy'. As such, I am associated with Bits of Freedom, a Dutch group of activists who fight for regulation considering privacy on the internet. :)

Also at skiing accicents can happen

Not to mention travelling by train :p
:spit: :lol:
Yeah... problem with accidents is that they do happen, most of all when you least expect them to!

I've had quite a bunch of friends having encountered accidents this year, as such I'm thinking of 2012 having been 'The Year of the Cast' ;)

You were the first one. A month later, a good old friend of mine broke her leg in a nasty skiing accident, and then this summer, it was my BF's turn... even though he didn't get a cast himself, I think an operation and getting two 10 cm screws inserted in his hip counts for a 'cast' as well. :tape:
Quite enough horror to my friends to endure in one year's time I think!

I ordered the tickets this week as I hoped we might get box seats which weren't asked for until now (on Wednesday the early booker time ended) but unfortunately they aren't available and we will have our same seats as usual.

I'm bringing your tickets then with me to Rotterdam.
Sounds great! No matter that you didn't get the box seats, it would have been awesome, but I realize that as Roger's retirement may well be getting closer (however much we don't like to think about it :sad:), the request for even better tickets will only get bigger as long as he keeps on playing!

Well the tickets I scored for Rotterdam are pretty good as you know - about five rows down closer to the court from where we were sitting last year. Now let's just hope for him to indeed show up over there again. I think he will, lest something horrible happens (injuries, sickness), as tournament director Mr. Krajicek showed himself pretty happy with the ticket sales due to Mr. Federer's appearance this year - which broke all previous records. ;)
I guess Roger isn't so-called 'old news' in Mr. K's opinion anymore, and won't be until he indeed retires. :toothy: :cool:

I also ordered the tickets for the DC in Geneve even though it is highly unlikely that Roger is going to play.

But I just enjoy the atmosphere at DC, will probably get to see Stan, Marco and Tomas play and meet up with the familiar people.
Hope you'll have a great time over there Doris! :)

No I'm not a fan of Novak.

This is an avatar forfeit because I lost a bet with another poster on MTF.
:spit: :lol:
Well if you ever catch me carrying an avvy of Almagro, you'll know what happened. :p

:wavey: folks, I so hope Roger's exho matches in South America will be televised and as such to be followed on a livestream.

I just cannot imagine how happy the SA folks are to finally be able to witness him play in person. And rightly so. :)

#2,418 ·

No I'm not a fan of Novak.

This is an avatar forfeit because I lost a bet with another poster on MTF.
Upps :p

I should have had a look at your list in the favorite active players thread :lol:

I know why I don't bet :angel:

I've had quite a bunch of friends having encountered accidents this year, as such I'm thinking of 2012 having been 'The Year of the Cast' ;)

You were the first one. A month later, a good old friend of mine broke her leg in a nasty skiing accident, and then this summer, it was my BF's turn... even though he didn't get a cast himself, I think an operation and getting two 10 cm screws inserted in his hip counts for a 'cast' as well. :tape:
Quite enough horror to my friends to endure in one year's time I think!
I didn't knew about the ski accident of your friend. Hope she has recovered.

Sounds great! No matter that you didn't get the box seats, it would have been awesome, but I realize that as Roger's retirement may well be getting closer (however much we don't like to think about it :sad:), the request for even better tickets will only get bigger as long as he keeps on playing!
I try every year since 2008 to get the box seats again but unfortunately it's never meant to be :sad:

I would probably also never give up such a great seat like that so it's not a surprise that they aren't available.

Just proves again how lucky we were in 2008 ;)

Well the tickets I scored for Rotterdam are pretty good as you know - about five rows down closer to the court from where we were sitting last year. Now let's just hope for him to indeed show up over there again. I think he will, lest something horrible happens (injuries, sickness), as tournament director Mr. Krajicek showed himself pretty happy with the ticket sales due to Mr. Federer's appearance this year - which broke all previous records. ;)
I guess Roger isn't so-called 'old news' in Mr. K's opinion anymore, and won't be until he indeed retires. :toothy: :cool:
Can't wait for Rotterdam and to meet everyone again :dance:

Do you remember the Canadian lady who was with Margo and Carol? She was also in Basel this year, adressed me but I didn't recognized her until she said that we got to meet in Rotterdam.
She won't be going to Rotterdam next year though.

It will be great to be nearer to the court even though our seats this year weren't bad at all. And we had great company around.

Hope you'll have a great time over there Doris! :)
I think I will :)

Doris is currently trying to get us a hotel but she got a good offer from 2 other Swiss members who have a hotel in Geneve.

#2,400 ·

Where did you do your LLM, Karin? And do you have two LLMs like most of my European classmates? :lol: (Many of them are in London doing a second LLM.)

I just want to tell everyone that I met a new friend at Roger's pre-match practice session on Monday. I asked this random person to help me take a photo with Roger and we started talking and it turned out we are both attending the same school now. :lol: I had lunch with her today and we spent the whole lunch talking about Roger. :hearts: I've never had real-life friends who love him as much as me before so this is really awesome.

#2,403 ·

Where did you do your LLM, Karin? And do you have two LLMs like most of my European classmates? :lol: (Many of them are in London doing a second LLM.)
Utrecht University, over here, in my home town. :)
And yep, two degrees in two different subjects.

As for some further good news... this week I managed to get a bunch of 'job scammers' *busted*!
Sheez I cannot express how much I despise those kind of crooks, making bad use of the high unemployment rates over here right now, taking advantage of desperate people trying to finally get themselves a 'job'... but well, they're on my country's list of 'known scams' right now. Serves them well. Good-Bloody-Riddance! :armed: :rocker2:

I just want to tell everyone that I met a new friend at Roger's pre-match practice session on Monday. I asked this random person to help me take a photo with Roger and we started talking and it turned out we are both attending the same school now. :lol: I had lunch with her today and we spent the whole lunch talking about Roger. :hearts: I've never had real-life friends who love him as much as me before so this is really awesome.
That's just awesome, and it's one of those great things about attending tournaments - meeting new friends! :yeah:

#2,410 ·

Oh right, I forgot about the other Federer book; I've only read Quest for Perfection. How amazing would it be if he were indeed your classmate? :lol:
Well, not entirely my classmate: he *was* a couple of years ahead of me, so we didn't overlap much - if it is him. I'm not sure my local libraries stock QfP, but even Chris recommends it (but in the original German for preference! Not totally sure I'm up to that without reading some more general tennis stuff in the language first :) ).

I always *hated* that ponytail, BTW. Was *so* glad when he got rid of it :)

Anyway, I just popped in because I didn't think it was worth putting in the articles thread, but Fed gets a mention in this article about coffee/beer/curry-splattering moments in sport :): http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...c-one-huge-splash-of-dhansak-on-the-sofa.html
That point at 5-6 down or whatever it was in the first set tie break on Monday would probably have done it for me!

#2,431 ·

Well, not entirely my classmate: he *was* a couple of years ahead of me, so we didn't overlap much - if it is him. I'm not sure my local libraries stock QfP, but even Chris recommends it (but in the original German for preference! Not totally sure I'm up to that without reading some more general tennis stuff in the language first :) ).
You know German? I love Roger, but not to the extent that I'd learn German just to read QfT. :lol:

I always *hated* that ponytail, BTW. Was *so* glad when he got rid of it :)
Me too, otherwise I probably wouldn't have thought he was gorgeous and therefore wouldn't have became a fan. :D

Anyway, I just popped in because I didn't think it was worth putting in the articles thread, but Fed gets a mention in this article about coffee/beer/curry-splattering moments in sport :): http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...c-one-huge-splash-of-dhansak-on-the-sofa.html
That point at 5-6 down or whatever it was in the first set tie break on Monday would probably have done it for me!
if I were to make a list of such moments, it would probably never end. :lol: But that hot dog was incredible, as was the point that you mentioned.

Yeah, my dad played tennis when he was young, in some amateur league in Belgrade, before the ATP was even formed. He always watched tennis on TV so I watched with him as a little kid. That's why I've been watching even since the days of wooden racquets! :eek:

My dad is a big hater :facepalm: ; he enjoys cheering against someone more than cheering for a favourite. He liked Borg and he was a big Sampras fan. He was mad at Fed for ending Sampras's career. But then Rafa came along. He really hated Rafa :p so he cheered for Fed for a while. Also he liked Roger's graceful playing style. Then Djokovic came along and he decided to support him because we're also Serbian (he's not sure if he would like Djokovic at all otherwise). He also likes Ferrer.
Like Doris said, what's his MTF username? :lol: This means that your tennis knowledge is deeper than I'd thought. :speakles: Time to school some of those clowns in GM, especially the ones that claim that the current crop of players would beat players from previous eras easily.

Roger's hair. For real:

:worship:

That's how I have always considered the law to be used - helpful to the people. Unfortunately, a lot of folks have no knowledge of how to achieve - and fight for! - their rights, and that's exactly what I do as a freelance-lawyer - HELP people.
This case was a rather nasty one though, I fear many folks fell for it, as they looked pretty decent... it was only after I started adding 1 + 1 = 2 and not 3 myself, when I discovered I was actually dealing with scammers. :eek:
What's a freelance lawyer? Do you work pro bono? Or do you not belong to any law firm in particular?

Can't wait for Rotterdam and to meet everyone again :dance:
Omg I think there's a chance I could go to Rotterdam. Need to skip some classes though...but I have a 4 day weekend so it could be doable.

You have to go through the farm to see the goat…
:haha: Brilliant, George. Just brilliant. :worship:

But there are all sorts of ballots you can enter for Wimbledon tickets. Just don't trust online resale agencies for Wimbledon. First of all, it's illegal, secondly, it's way overpriced.
Do you mean the official one? The ticket allocation is random, no? I was referring to those travel agencies that sell sports travel packages. I used this company called Keith Prowse when I went to Melbourne - got good seats + hotel, that sort of stuff.

the girl I met at Bercy says she rents a hotel room for showers and stuff but for me that seems like a waste, unless you split it with a group.
I noticed some people on RF.com who went this year just paid to use a gym/rec center to shower like every other day.
Seriously? They don't have anywhere to sleep? I'm living in central London right now so I have a room here but Wimbledon is quite far away.

Omg what if I meet Roger again and I'm all smelly and gross? :sobbing:

#2,412 ·

Guys, I am campaigning for the coveted ACC this year. Please pledge me your support. :hatoff:
Seriously?

Silly?! That's one of the most important things to discuss - whether you prefer his hair short, shortish, longish, in a ponytail :)hysteric:). I would love to discuss how hot his legs are. :drool:
Roger's hair. For real:

:worship:

BTW, is anyone planning on going to any tournaments next year?
I really am shooting for Wimbledon b/c it's always been a dream of mine to see Rog play there. And now we know he'll be first up on CC on Monday :).

#2,416 ·

Nice work Karin :yeah: I hate scammers too .They rob the people for their own greed :mad:
:) - yeah - and it always disgusts me how they abuse desperate people, especially in cases of job scams, as it mostly concerns victims who only recieve rejections on 12384712304712's of applications. :eek:

This one was a particularly sneaky one, I nearly fell for it myself. All internet-savvy folks know you shouldn't fall for a regular scam bait, but 'job scamming' is directed at truly desperate folks on the hunt of a job, on the verge of seeing their social welfare end soon, and as such, I think it's even worse. :help:
So I just wonder how many folks have become victims of these crooks... damn I hate that sort of things so much!
I sent the scammers a mail that I would really like to sign their contract/offer, but only if they'd send me a picture of themselves with a dead tuna on their heads... :p :angel:

Fortunately, there's always "scam the scammers" - http://www.419eater.com/ :devil: :worship: :rocker2:
Serves them well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.