Mens Tennis Forums banner

Swiss Davis Cup Team

52K views 454 replies 48 participants last post by  iGOAT 
#1 ·
Hoppp Schwiizzz!!!!

Attachments

See less See more
#426 ·
The team said at the apero - to be correct Roger said for all of the team members - that they are all very happy with Severin and that he is a great coach.

the heard from several sites that people are saying he isn't that good for the swiss team but that is definitely not true for the players...

so I'd say if they're happy with him then he does a good job!!! and we have to accept him on the bench... !

#427 ·
OK. I'll be the one who post it :p

Switzerland - Poland 3:0

Stephane Bohli - Dawid Olejniczak 6:4, 7:6 (7-3), 6:4

Stanislas Wawrinka - Błażej Koniusz 6:3, 7:6 (7-5), 6:3

Yves Allegro, Michael Lammer - Mariusz Fyrstenberg, Marcin Matkowski 6:4, 6:3, 2:6, 6:3

#431 ·
Switzerland drawn to host Belgium in Davis Cup World Group playoffs

The Associated Press
April 16, 2008

LONDON: Switzerland will host Belgium in the World Group playoffs in September.

The Swiss team, which missed out on this season's World Group despite using top-ranked Roger Federer in last year's playoffs, will get a chance to return to the top tier when it plays the Belgians from Sept. 19-21, the International Tennis Federation said Wednesday.

The other pairings from Wednesday's draw were: Chile vs. Australia; Britain vs. Austria; Croatia vs. Brazil; Israel vs. Peru; Netherlands vs. South Korea; Romania vs. India; and Slovakia vs. Serbia.

Federer has skipped most of his country's Davis Cup series, but he usually comes back to help the team if it needs to win to get into the World Group or avoid relegation to the zonal group.

Last year against the Czech Republic, Federer won two singles matches but the Swiss still lost 3-2.

Source: http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/04/16/sports/EU-SPT-TEN-Davis-Cup-Draw.php

#441 ·
when will we know the members of the swiss team?

I hope we'll get to see team federinka play again :p. Is there usually stream showing the davis cup play off matches?

#442 ·
when will we know the members of the swiss team?

I hope we'll get to see team federinka play again :p.
as of September 8th, Roger Federer, Stanislas Wawrinka, Stéphane Bohli, and Yves Allegro were nominated. As 5th player, Michael Lammer was called in as well.
On Saturday before the Doubles match, they are going to have a small ceremony to honor Federer and Wawrinka for winning the Olympic Gold Medal in front of the home crowd. :)

The Swiss media speaks of the "Dream Team". :)

#453 ·
Olympic champs Federer, Wawrinka team up for Cup

By GRAHAM DUNBAR, Associated Press Writer 1 hour, 48 minutes ago.

LAUSANNE, Switzerland (AP)—Roger Federer and Stanislas Wawrinka will revive their Olympic gold medal-winning doubles partnership against Belgium and try to lead Switzerland back into the elite Davis Cup World Group.

Swiss captain Severin Luethi confirmed Thursday that the pair will team up for the first time in Davis Cup play in Saturday’s doubles of the best-of-five playoff.

Wawrinka, ranked No. 9 in the world, will open Friday’s singles against 58th-ranked Steve Darcis. U.S. Open champion Federer, now ranked No. 2 behind Rafael Nadal, follows against No. 95 Kristof Vliegen. The matchups are reversed for Sunday’s singles.

The Swiss pairing will face Olivier Rochus and Xavier Malisse, who won the doubles title a the 2004 French Open.

The Belgian duo each present Federer with some personal history.

As a 17-year-old in 1999, Federer lost both his Davis Cup singles matches— including one to Malisse—and the Swiss team fell 3-2 in the quarterfinals in Brussels.

“I don’t have any good memories of that match,” Federer said. “I have waited a long time for revenge.”

Federer and Rochus are friends from their days on the junior circuit. They teamed up to win the boys’ doubles at Wimbledon in 1998, when Federer also won the boys’ singles.

The 27-year-old Rochus said he was not surprised that Federer turned a rare appearance in doubles into a gold medal at Beijing.

“When it was important in the Olympics he played once and he won it,” the Belgian said. “That proves he is the best player in the world. He can do anything with the ball.”

Federer, who will play before a Swiss crowd for the first time this year, said he hoped to relive the Olympic experience he shared with Wawrinka.

“We were a really nice team,” he said. “Stan played great doubles over there.”
:):):)

(now can I pray for a miracle for there to be a stream for this??)

Reactions: Tommy fan
#455 ·
Here is some stuff from the USA-Switzerland tie, I might actually do all the ties :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.