Mens Tennis Forums banner

In The Spotlight: buddyholly

12K views 166 replies 22 participants last post by  alfonsojose 
#1 ·
don't fight it, it's happening. :D

1. do you have any other citizenship apart from irish? if canadian, did you vote for harper?

2. do you support any particular english teams in the pl?

3. since you're in canada, will you go watch the olympics?

4. thoughts on barry cowan?

5. do you think bilbo's taking the piss from time to time or do you believe he's really serious about the stuff he posts?

5. as a canadian, are you a hockey fan? if so, any particular franchise?

6. who do you think will run for office on the republican side in 2010? who do you want to run for office?

7. border fence, yes or nay?

8. name the 4 semi-finalists of next year's world cup.

9. avid skier?

10. where do you see glenn beck in 10 years' time?

that'll be a good start. off you go.

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
don't fight it, it's happening. :D

1. do you have any other citizenship apart from irish? if canadian, did you vote for harper?

2. do you support any particular english teams in the pl?

3. since you're in canada, will you go watch the olympics?

4. thoughts on barry cowan?

5. do you think bilbo's taking the piss from time to time or do you believe he's really serious about the stuff he posts?

5. as a canadian, are you a hockey fan? if so, any particular franchise?

6. who do you think will run for office on the republican side in 2010? who do you want to run for office?

7. border fence, yes or nay?

8. name the 4 semi-finalists of next year's world cup.

9. avid skier?

10. where do you see glenn beck in 10 years' time?

that'll be a good start. off you go.
1. Canadian and UK
2. Aston Villa, because of martin O'Neill
3. No, too far away.
4. Best Irish TV personality ever.
5. I think he is serious, because he is not funny. I suspect he is your account for serious posts as opposed to the farout Rrainer posts. Aloimeh may be a put-on.
5A?. I live next door to the Leafs now (Toronto Make Beliefs) and on my new HD TV you can actually see the puck, so I may watch a few games, but not pay to see them live.
6. Don't like anybody. Can't imagine Palin running, but with her anything is possible.
7. Yes, we don't want American ******** here.
8. Brazil, Germany, Italy, Spain. How boring. I don't care as long as France is not there.
9. Not any more. Winter indoor tennis is best for me.
10. I won't see him at all. FOX is only available here if you pay for it and MSNBC in a special package. So I don't even have the option of peeking anymore.

#5 ·
#6 ·
I am sure there is a line of people at least two long, but truth is I am just finishing packing for Costa Rica. Whether this thread is still around by Jan 5, I don't know.
I do know I will not be around for the next two weeks.

#7 ·
Why Costa Rica?

Can you speak Spanish?

#8 ·
1. since you're an agnostic, do you celebrate christmas?

2. i take it you grew up christian, ever considered "switching" instead of becoming an agnostic? (islam, buddhism etc.)

3. do you plan to retire in costa rica/somewhere sunny?

4. what was the "wildest" (meaning far away, most exotic) country you ever worked in?

5. do you own a gun? if so, why?

6. given that you've been away from ireland for quite some time, do native english speakers still easily recognize your accent?

7. do you think primadonna talks the same way he posts on non-mtf?

#11 ·
#13 · (Edited)
No, really. Forget that word agnostic. I am 100% atheist. I do not ''celebrate'' Christmas in any religious sense. I just eat, drink and enjoy the merriment. I am not a grinch. I am comfortable in my atheism, not one of those people who cares how others live their lives.

#14 ·
1.) Are you past middle age?

2.) How often per day/week/month do you contemplate death?

3.) Do you speak Gaelic?

4.) What would you think/do if you discovered that the foundations of paleontology were a load of garbage/baloney?

5.) What would you think/do if you discovered that Einstein was a perverse fraud?

6.) What is your line of work (or was prior to retirement)?

7.) What do you think of Rrrainer? Be honest (as always).

8.) Are you married and do you have any children? What do they think of you?

9.) Favorite book?

10.) Favorite movie?

11.)Why are you obsessed with me?

#16 · (Edited)
1.) Are you past middle age?

2.) How often per day/week/month do you contemplate death?

3.) Do you speak Gaelic?

4.) What would you think/do if you discovered that the foundations of paleontology were a load of garbage/baloney?

5.) What would you think/do if you discovered that Einstein was a perverse fraud?

6.) What is your line of work (or was prior to retirement)?

7.) What do you think of Rrrainer? Be honest (as always).

8.) Are you married and do you have any children? What do they think of you?

9.) Favorite book?

10.) Favorite movie?

11.)Why are you obsessed with me?
1. Depends how long I have left to live. Odds are yes, though.
2. There's nothing to contemplate.
3. No
4. Get rich and famous with my discovery.
5. Nothing. The universe would still obey his laws no matter how he got them.
6. Big bad miner.
7. Like him a lot. Wish he would laugh at my teasing more. When he states for the ''n''th time that he is not going to respond to PD any more, he is just being played by PD.
8. No, I prefer life out of a suitcase, with no fixed possessions or responsibilities. I'm like George Clooney.
9. A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole.
10. Nashville by Robert Altman.
11. Not obsessed. But fascinated by the mind of someone that actually claims to know who will go to heaven and who will go to hell. You sound so hateful of other peoples' lifestyles that I find myself hoping you are putting us on.

#15 ·
Buddy baby I wish I had thought of this thread. Hats off Rainer :hatoff: You have been such an enigma and on the first page I have found out more about you then pm's over almost 5 years.
Ok I have no questions. I will wait until you return. Enjoy Costa Rica for the holidays. Think of me freezing my ass off and not celebrating anything.

#19 · (Edited)
1. you say you're gonna celebrate christmas with friends in costa rica. are they "indigenous" (no the real indigenous ones obviously) costa ricans or people like you, coming over to enjoy the climate/beaches/nature/food?

2. why costa rica and not, say, florida or the bahamas? is it a price-thing?

buddyholly said:
I have spent time with stone-age tribes.
what do you mean? did you really "communicate" with them, try to understand their world or just walk through their kibbuz like "hey, how's it going" and then mind your business? were they friendly? i take it they had had some sort of contact with the outside world before you guys came over, right?

4. did you work for for a company we know? like, anglo american or bhp billiton?

5. has your life been affected by the financial crisis in any way?

buddyholly said:
published legacy
what do you mean? scientific articles, books?

7. this one got lost on the last page: did you vote for harper?

8. since you mentioned your clooney-esque features: is there a place where you feel "at home"?

9. is ricky gervais really that big in the new world? it seems like he's on american/canadian (the only one i know is strombopoulos or whatever he's called) tv shows every effing week, letterman, leno, stewart, etc. - even though he's not even IN the american version of "the office" and all of his hollywood endeavors bombed.

*edit: 10. what do you generally invest in? commodities? stocks? bonds?

merry christmas, mate. :)

#20 ·
1. you say you're gonna celebrate christmas with friends in costa rica. are they "indigenous" (no the real indigenous ones obviously) costa ricans or people like you, coming over to enjoy the climate/beaches/nature/food?

2. why costa rica and not, say, florida or the bahamas? is it a price-thing?

what do you mean? did you really "communicate" with them, try to understand their world or just walk through their kibbuz like "hey, how's it going" and then mind your business? were they friendly? i take it they had some sort of contact with the outside world before you guys came over, right?

4. did you work for for a company we know? like, anglo american or bhp billiton?

5. has your life been affected by the financial crisis in any way?

6. what do you mean? scientific articles, books?

7. this one got lost on the last page: did you vote for harper?

8. since you mentioned your clooney-esque features: is there a place where you feel "at home"?

9. is ricky gervais really that big in the new world? it seems like he's on american/canadian (the only one i know is strombopoulos or whatever he's called) tv shows every effing week, letterman, leno, stewart, etc. - even though he's not even IN the american version of "the office" and all of his hollywood endeavors bombed.

10. what do you generally invest in? commodities? stocks? bonds?

merry christmas, mate. :)
1. They are non-Costa Ricans who are permanently settled there, with children married to Ticos.
2. I have just spent 6 years living there. That is where my friends are. It is more like a visit than a vacation. I don't know anyone in the Bahamas.
3. We slept in their villages and hiked through the mountains with local guides for about 10 days at a time. No, we were not first contacts, but through the bush pilot girl we were able to make trips that the regular tourist would not be offered. Making landings in small planes on short runways on a mountainside. Scary! The girl said all the pilots do it for one reason only - the adrenaline rush. All flights into the bush are still made by missionary planes.
We were mutually curious about each other. They still fight with neighbouring tribes, but knew we were no threat to their pigs and potato patches. Most memorable I think was the old lady with no fingers. They chopped one off every time a family member died. The custom has died out now. Not a very good idea when the females do all the work and the men loll around camp making hair decorations and penis gourds for their own wardrobes. The pigs were cooked in a pit under hot stones. The men ate the pork and the women got to suck the fat off the grass that lined the cooking pit. In some ways they are a very advanced society.
4. Only one big one. It was eventually taken over by Xstrata, Swedish I think.
5. I can survive the recessions. I am 100% recovered from the last one, and expected it would take into 2010 to get back to normal.
6. Scientific articles on the deposits I worked on.
7. I have not voted in Canada. You have to be a resident.
8. I have felt at home everywhere, except Cuba and Honduras.
9. I don't watch talk shows, so have never seen Gervais over here. Except when he was very funny at some awards show. They really ought to give him the Oscars to host, but they are probably too scared.
10. Canadian Oil trusts and Canadian banks have been good.

Merry Xmas.

Back on Jan 5.

#23 ·
The only spotlight I couldn't resist.

How old are you, what do you look like, why the hell did you name yourself after buddy holly (assuming that you are not born to a Mr. and Mrs. Holly who called their son "Buddy"), what was the last great relationship you had, what do you look for in a significant other, where did you do your schooling, where do you work (broad area), and have you ever deigned to visit Switzerland?

#25 ·
1. do you like gaelic football more than regular football?

2. are you fan enough to get really carried away when you watch a tennis match, yelling, screaming, fistpumping etc.?

3. what do you think of actionjackson aka georgewhitler? i don't know what to think of him, he's too slippery to get. whenever i think i figured him out, he's getting away.

4. have you ever met an inuit in canada? did your job take you to northern countries as well (arctic circle, polar ice etc.) or was it just southern countries?

5. so you never touched a gun even though you've been with potentially dangerous tribes like the one in papua-new guinea?! what did you guys bring along to defend yourself, how did you know those people weren't gonna eat you?

I have felt at home everywhere, except Cuba and Honduras
why honduras? were you there during the coup (this spring, i think)?

7. does costa rica experience any sort of gang violence, the kind of violence that's plaguing pretty much every other country in central america plus mexico, colombia and some others?

8. do you think quebec should be able to secede?

9. have you ever worked in a country where a civil war was going on (dom. rep maybe?)?

10. did you ever nick some minerals you had found? :D

#58 ·
1. do you like gaelic football more than regular football?

2. are you fan enough to get really carried away when you watch a tennis match, yelling, screaming, fistpumping etc.?

3. what do you think of actionjackson aka georgewhitler? i don't know what to think of him, he's too slippery to get. whenever i think i figured him out, he's getting away.

4. have you ever met an inuit in canada? did your job take you to northern countries as well (arctic circle, polar ice etc.) or was it just southern countries?

5. so you never touched a gun even though you've been with potentially dangerous tribes like the one in papua-new guinea?! what did you guys bring along to defend yourself, how did you know those people weren't gonna eat you?

why honduras? were you there during the coup (this spring, i think)?

7. does costa rica experience any sort of gang violence, the kind of violence that's plaguing pretty much every other country in central america plus mexico, colombia and some others?

8. do you think quebec should be able to secede?

9. have you ever worked in a country where a civil war was going on (dom. rep maybe?)?

10. did you ever nick some minerals you had found? :D
>>>

#35 ·
see, these kind of responses are exactly why i think you're just playing a role here. it seems like you have some sort of playbook next to you.

i have no idea why you'd do it, but the internet is full of loons anyways, who knows what you're trying here. you're a mystery.

#43 ·
:haha: Priceless stuff.

This post has been deleted
#51 ·
The problem of primadonna is that he is insufficiently intelligent to realize that language's purpose is communication. One's language is adapted, within limits, to one's interlocutor's abilities. If he wishes to convey something to 90% of the people on these boards, he must select appropriate vocabulary and sentence structure.

His pretentious and peripatetic palaver not only alienates those who do not know his words nor are able to parse his sentences, but also exposes himself to the ridicule of those who do know his words and can analyze his sentences, because they know that behind the gossamer of words there is no substance.

His "veiled" reference to a NYC building inhabited by Germanophobic Jewish yuppies was most unsuccessful in evoking anything other than derision in my bosom and, undubitably, in Rrrainer's also.

#72 ·
Göbbels tilted at wind turbines?

#73 ·
Mixed metaphors. The Nazis were quixotic, in a way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.