Mens Tennis Forums banner

IPTL 2015 Draft is out

10K views 54 replies 32 participants last post by  Ertl93 
#1 ·
Morgan ‏@morganDubai 1h1 hour ago
Just concluded the 2015 IPTL Draft! See who go picked...

See less See more
#49 ·
What exactly is the definition of an exhibition such that it dictates this thread ends up here?

IPTL is not an exhibition.

It is a genuine competition.

No ranking points at stake to be sure, but that just means it is operating outside (and with the intention of busting) the ATP monopoly...

#50 ·
Interesting view. I mean, would it be fair to say that the definition of exhibition should only be in the view of ATP and the ITF? I mean IPTL doesn't treat itself as an exhibition, it's just how the players perceived it. They also earn money here and has a certain set of rules unlike exhibitions which are usually very loose and could change by the minute.

#51 ·
Indeed - strict rules and proper professional umpiring, significant prize money at stake both for winning overall, and as I understand it, in possible bonuses from team owners.

We've been brainwashed by the players union to think that nothing matters unless it counts for ranking points in their system, but monopolies rarely last forever!

IPTL is rather different from the usual exho, though there are admittedly shades of grey.

Pure exhos are as you say fairly free and loose, noone really cares who wins.

Some intermediate ones where honour is at stake, like Hopman Cup, but still not that serious.

Davis Cup is an interesting example of a borderline case - no points outside world group, but matches still count towards ATP website win-loss ratios...if IPTL continues to grow and gain traction can see some deals being done down the track.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.