Mens Tennis Forums banner

British Players: Who's your man?!

3K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  johnnylad 
#1 ·
So who's your favourite? Who do you see the most potential in? Enjoy watching/following the most? Why?

I thought it would be a good idea to see who everyone is chearing for out of the Brit Pack. Obviously the Murrays, Henmans and Rusedskis of this world/land are those followed closely, but disregard these and choose from the other lower ranked players; those who tour the world on a tiny budget to pursue a dream or to scrape a living together.

Ill go first...

Favourite current British player: Jamie Baker

Reason: Without disrespecting others, Jamie shows ambition by not relying on the British circuit. He travels to all corners of the earth in search for ranking points, he is risking more than many others yet will hopefully benefit in the long run. Ive not seen Jamie play all that much, but his style of play seems to be very adaptable. He doesnt rely on hit and miss power, often this results in three sets in which the opponent runs to ground on talent/luck after rushing through the first set, yet Jamie is also capable of pulling off unexpected winners and power play as well as passing shots when needs be e.g in his defeat of the S&V orientated Jonny Marray in the recent Nottingham Futures event.
Jamie also shows the determination and dedication that all aspiring tennis players should look upto. According to reports his training ethic is excellent, which in my books is something all top athletes should show if they are dedicated to making the big time.

Picture (from the Jamie Baker Website):

It would be great if people would add who their favourite british player is with a short/long reason :)

See less See more
#6 ·
Josh Goodall, Jimmy Aucks & Jamie Murray for me probably

#12 ·
Apart from Murray/Henman/Rusedski I like Goodall out of the 'mature' players. Seems to have real mental strength.

Of the older teenagers Andy Kennaugh has shown promise but not lately.....Jamie Baker for sure will be top 100....and for the younger lads Graeme Dyce, Dan Cox, Dan Evans and now hopefully Simon Childs will make in-roads next year....hopefully in 2007 we can see another 'Murray' or two from this pack !

#13 ·
Out of those juniors is there one in particular that you would say stands out as having the ability that is needed to make it into the top 100?

It would be a great step if we could begin to fill the top 200 with young British players. It offers a great stable basis off of which to work off..especially with the Davis Cup Team.

Shame bout Andy Kennaugh though. There was a fair amount of hype not so long ago that it was looking like he could make some giant strides up towards the business end of the rankings. However, as you say, he seems to have slipped away recently, it would be interesting to hear what anyone knows or thinks about this... :wavey:

#15 ·
Dan Cox is playing like a future top 10 player, not just top 100. Just look at his results....

He got his first senior ranking point at the age of 15 years and 2 months. I don't think that anybody in the present top 100 can beat that. Nadal got his first point at 15 and 4.

He reached the finals of Le Petit As, Tarbes, widely believed to be the best 14&U tournament in the world, when he was 13 years and 4 months old.

This year he has defeated two top 600 players and took a set off Harsh Mankad on grass.

Even though he was ranked outside the top 200 in Juniors, he defeated three top 50 players in straight sets at Roehampton this year. That included a 6-2 6-3 demolition of the then junior world number 14, Sho Aida. He also became the youngest player to win a round at this year's Junior Wimbly.

These are just a few of the many things which makes him our first world class talent since Andy Murray. ;)

I rate Graeme Dyce behind Dan Cox and Dan Evans, but that's just my opinion. :D

Marcus Willis, Neil Pauffley, Josh Milton, Daniel Smethurst, Faris Akhazzan and David Rice are a few others from the 1989-1990 age group who have a good chance of making it to the top 100.

#17 ·
I have missed the chance to watch Daniel play due to bad luck. But quite a few of my friends have seen him in action, and they were mighty impressed.

He is said to be a really versatile shot maker and has a game that suits all surfaces. And watch out for that return of serve that he has! If he trains properly, that can be a big weapon in the years to come.

But he is physically really weak and needs to grow quite a few inches more. The serve isn't that good at this moment as a result of his height. He can struggle against big hitters. He also tends to make many unforced errors at times.

By the way, he happens to be really fiery for a boy of his age. :haha: He shouts and swears and grumbles when he is not happy with line calls.

He is working on his weaknesses. He spent a few months in Marbella this year and may as well return next year. Just wait and watch till he develops a good serve, he can be world class.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.