Mens Tennis Forums banner

HBO game of thrones - anyone watching?

112K views 2K replies 180 participants last post by  Spectator75 
#1 ·
I love the books, and wondered whether anyone was watching the HBO series.

#1,611 ·
omg thanks Pratik :sobbing:

She can have children when sun rises in the west and sets in the east :p In fantasy such things can happen :p

It's the more annoying with speeding up that sometimes these fight scenes are like on fast forward :facepalm: either bad cinematography, CGI or directing... it clearly shows they have big budget, but not unlimited...

#1,612 · (Edited by Moderator)

Fuck this! Another stupid episode.

It was obvious that Dany and her 3 dragons would be too much for any side including white walkers so GoT team did everything to make it balanced, now 1 of the dragons became blue just to save 6-7 men who were there steal a walker LOL. Stupidest shit ever. Really come on.

Tapatalk kullanarak iPhone aracılığıyla gönderildi

#1,617 · (Edited)
Are you talking about E6?

It was pretty good actually, but I knew you would hate it.
Anyone who wants forced, artificial, unnatural, bad, but "unpredictable" and "not cliche" ending will be "disappointed". And I am glad you will be.
Good story telling is more important than your fetish.

This being said, the episode has some holes and could have been better if not rushed to pack 10 episodes into 7, but nothing too bad.

#1,616 · (Edited)
I didn't read the spoiler. But if it was about S8 I doubt it is correct or sure thing. They didn't ever write the S8 scripts yet.

And if something real about S8 really leak, I would really be pissed.

This season has been ruined by spoilers and leaks (script leaks more than episode leaks).

Reactions: leng jai
#1,618 · (Edited)
I didn't read the spoiler. But if it was about S8 I doubt it is correct or sure thing. They didn't ever write the S8 scripts yet.

And if something real about S8 really leaked, I would really be pissed.

This season has been ruined by spoilers and leaks (script leaks more than episode leaks).
The spoiler he posted I am sure is safe to read ;)

I'm rewatching season 1.

- They traveled very quickly already back then. Half of episode from Winterfell to the Wall, half of episode to the King's Landing by Cat. But she's coming back already like for 2 episodes and she's still mid-way :lol:

I don't think it's ever been an issue... I guess people only started to take notice when they dragged some journeys to crazy lengths when they were supposed to give screen time to characters.

- Cersei's son with Robert was born alive. He died of fever and is now in the crypt. So she's had already 4 children :spit: Why did they show later that prophecy that she'd have 3? :lol:

- Sam was twice less fat at the beginning than he is now.

- Arya was exactly the same thing she is now, character-wise, and her attitude towards Sansa is totally identical. And already from the very beginning several minutes of each episode are wasted on Arya training. (I think she was the most interesting in Tywin's castle. But Tywin was also a very charismatic character)

- The dialogue was not great in the first two episodes at all. Actually it was quite tedious and boring. Every sentence had either "bastard" or "dwarf" in it (or both). The success of first episodes was based on.... emotion. The ultimate thing for scriptwriters ever. Based on children drama (including 16 yo Jon and pure innocent Danaerys) and animal drama. Plus the whole world and setting was interesting. But there was always something happening to some child or direwolf in a crucial moment. Yes, viewers are that simple. It's in every basic scriptwriting or novel writing guide.

Dialogue got better on, but also not all the time. Good dialogues typically go with either politically smartest and physically strongest characters and it's like this up until now. So once Cersei got one on one with Jofferey or one on one with Ned, or when Hound or Benjen talked, or when Littlefinger was on screen it was interesting. Even Jaime talking with Ned was *plz fastforward this Kingslayer / your father got burned shit*

#1,620 ·
Good riddance. :bigwave: At least will not have to listen to your unreasonable and shallow whining and bitching.

#1,622 · (Edited)
Massive disappointment this episode for me. The entire episode is ruined by the idiocy of the plan but they didn't even execute the Army of the Dead well for the first time. Hardhome and The Door were simply phenomenal but this time around it was meh for me. Totally anti-climatic.

The interactions between the 7 before encountering the dead particularly between the Hound and Tormund were great but otherwise a huge let down. About time Jon decided to show a Mormont that he has their family sword.

Arya & Sansa scenes don't even make sense. Arya's position makes no sense. She has gone from being one of my favorite characters through the first 4 seasons to being one of the worst over the last three.

Condensing the season from 10 to 7 episodes was a huge mistake and the writing has been really lazy. Hopefully the next episode will begin to right the ship but I have great doubts. Seems showrunners are more interested in completing the series and taking short cuts to do so then to actually make things coherent and logical.

Reactions: levhimahfuz
#1,623 · (Edited)
Very happy to see this trash of an episode is getting roasted by most reviewers on IMDb.
How long can even sheeple keep lauding mediocrity? Eventually they wake up :yeah:

The intense circlejerk however continues on the GoT subreddit.:cuckoo:
("Oh, I was so scared when Tormund drowned, had tears in my eyes" etc etc) :rolleyes:

#1,625 ·
As expected, it all feels a bit too rushed. Loved Benjen, though.

#1,628 · (Edited)
OK I remember what happened, he was attacked beyond the wall and children of the forest cured him by putting dragonglass in his body. That's why he's half undead and can't go beyond the wall. He was summoned by Three Eyed Raven to help Bran and Meera.

I wish they showed Bran communicating with him this time, to come and help Jon. It will be probably like this in the book, but in the 7-episode-show they don't have time for such "mindless" scenes :facepalm: Several times they just jump from big event to big event without a major set-up. The only set up is right now in Winterfell between Arya and Sansa, let's hope it's not some red herring but something actually will happen there :facepalm: (probably they'll kill Littlefinger :tears: this is where his plot arc ends, he's useless against White Walkers and someone needs to die for the finale shock factor :tears:)

It was so obvious Benjen would show up there that it wasn't even some surprising "ex machina" :haha:

#1,630 · (Edited)
LOL at RtD's pretentiousness. It has become trendy in some circles to hate the show now, thinking if you hate it you are better than the rest or mere mortals :facepalm: And RtD is just following that cliche very well. Nitpicking is getting silly now. As said stop watching already if you don't like the show.

It was a great episode and most people actually loved it. As said the show is not about fulfilling RtDs fetishes. The only one who hate it are pretentious trolls mentioned above and dumb Daenerys haters.

Yes, rushing is bad (give us back 3 episodes !@##@!@) and yes couple of things are not done in the best way (mentioned them already in my previous posts), but overall one of the best and most tense episodes.

Another problem is that is was spoiled for most due to stupid plot leaks.

#1,631 ·
It was not a great episode. When all the action derives from a nonsensical plot line it is hugely problematic. Had they gone beyond the wall because Bran or Sam told Jon that only with the help of the children of the forest could they defeat the army of the dead forever it would've solved the episodes problem. As they would've had a real purpose to find the last remaining children of the forest. As it was everything was contrived based off an idiotic plan that is blatantly not going to work and the audience knows it isn't going to work. The dragon scene should've been one of the best scenes in the history of the show but it fell completely flat.

#1,632 · (Edited)
Yes the plan is stupid, like everything Tyrion said or did this season. Not sure why did they made him so retarded this season. Even in this episode he was really annoying insisting on naming the hair (Why now? I would have smacked him for that, if I was Daenerys) or insisting she does nothing. WTF?. But you are letting that one detail ruin the whole episode for you.

The episode was still amazing. I (and most of the people - based on my friends talking about it and most of the reactions, ...) was on the edge the whole episode. It was extremely tense and action scenes were great. Also the interactions among The Magnificent 7 were awesome. Dragon scenes were not flat at all to me.
I also loved the boat scene and Jon bending the knee and acknowledging what Dany did, as well. Only idiots can have issues with Jon bending the knee, after everything that happened. But it was more than that. It is not about that at all for both of them anymore.

The issues I have with the episode (most of them already listed in the previous posts):
1. Yes the whole plan is far fetched, and all that only to convince freaking Cersei.
2. Gendry, ravens and dragons must have been really really fast.
3. Chains, where did they get the freaking chains. I guess you could argue they found some in say Hardhome, but who dived into the lake to put them around Viserions neck? :shrug:
4. How the fuck could Night's King one-shot a freaking Dragon with a javelin just like that? That didn't make sense at all and they didn't explain it. That makes Dragons quite weak weapon against Night's King so what i the point of having them at all. Jost does not add up for me.
5. I expected more of the 7 would die, not just Thoros. I think the episode would have been better and more heartbreaking if that happened - Say Tormund or Jorah, although I like them both a lot.
6. Benjen didn't have to die.
7. Everything about Tyrion. :smash:
8. Everything about Arya :smash: :smash:

But don't let details ruin it for you, beside all this it was one of the best GoT episodes. Top 5 for sure. An amazing one. And I quite enjoyed it.

#1,633 ·
One more thing. I also hope they have a good reason behind doing what they are doing with Arya and Sansa in Winterfell and there is some twist, or it will be really pointless.

#1,634 ·
^ Describes everything that's wrong about the episode, the sum of all the points constituting the goddamn whole episode, and still praises it as one of the best ever... Only a fanboy could ever come to that conclusion. And there are way too many of these fanboys, right now, which explains the ridiculous IMDb scores (for what they're worth) the season has been getting. Fortunately, the general audience is reacting a lot less positively to it (that's at least the general sentiment I've been getting from people around me).

This "Beyond the Wall" affair was absolutely dreadful, bad by any TV standard and terrible for the great show it used to be. I'm never surprised anymore by anything happening because anyone can guess each and every incoming scene. All the characters are almost out of character or plain boring and useless, all barely recognisable. The fairy tale/mythology is taking over the politics and the actual meat of the books, its study of Human condition - and I couldn't care less about the former. Its purpose was to highlight the latter, not the other way around (and it fails to do so too).

I won't be coming back after S7, I believe. I will instead wait patiently for GRRM's last two novels for ASOIAF, and I'll probably get the follow-up the story deserves.

#1,635 · (Edited)
The fairy tale/mythology is taking over the politics and the actual meat of the books, its study of Human condition - and I couldn't care less about the former. Its purpose was to highlight the latter, not the other way around (and it fails to do so too).
I wrote the same thing on TF.

Contrary to most people, I don't see many plot holes. A lot of these things can be easily explained or receive a really big benefit of doubt, so it's just pointless (maybe except whighs suddenly swimming :tape: )

I am rewatching the early seasons and they had also "plot holes" and time travelling for nitpickers. And a lot of useless screen time wasted on whores or on Pycelle doing gymnastics.

BUT... I still feel flat here. There's a bit of an interesting scene or dialogue here or there, but only a few characters seem to fit their current place. And while I can defend a lot of technical things, none of the episodes this season had me WOW (I even avoided reading spoilers this time around... well except of the one provided in this very thread :rolleyes:).

We started watching a different show than we are watching now.... And books will go same path, sorry to spoil it to you... unless GRRM is following what people are reacting badly to and is re-writing the novels, that's why it takes so long :lol:

#1,652 ·
For all who think the plot in the books will be much different, you are obviously wrong.

Winds of Winter book: PROOF Jon Snow and Daenerys will have a BABY? | Books | Entertainment | Express.co.uk

Speaking with Deadline, he said how Martin basically teased that Jon and Daenerys will end up together – at least in the books.

Taylor harkened back to filming the first season of Game of Thrones when Martin was quite open about his narrative’s future.
The director said: “He alluded to the fact that Jon and Dany were the point, kind of. That, at the time, there was a huge, vast array of characters, and Jon was a lowly, you know, bastard son.

“So it wasn't clear to us at the time, but he did sort of say things that made it clear that the meeting and the convergence of Jon and Dany were sort of the point of the series.”
So yes, the two of them are the Ice and Fire and the books and the TV series are basically about them.
Sorry Daenerys haters, you will be disappointed either way. :shrug:

#1,654 ·
I have to agree with many of the posters: while I still like the show and will be watching to the end, I seriously think the show needs to look at the writing at this point. It's becoming almost like Walking Dead, with characters behaving really illogically. Also, the previous strength of the show was that no-one was safe, if the characters did dumb shit they would usually die. I get that we have only a few characters left and we can't kill of Jon or Dany, but now they're being rescued against insurmountable odds quite often.

Finally, the light-speed ravens and dragons really annoyed me this time around, since it was obvious that very little time had passed as they stood on the rock at the lake. Other "fast" travel can be easily discarded by assuming that a couple of days went by between the scenes, but this is hard to explain. And it's sloppy writing: they could have simply had Dany leave for the wall out of concern for Jon, meet Gendry there and then continue northwards to save the guys.

Reactions: Nathaliia
#1,655 ·
Finally, the light-speed ravens and dragons really annoyed me this time around, since it was obvious that very little time had passed as they stood on the rock at the lake. Other "fast" travel can be easily discarded by assuming that a couple of days went by between the scenes, but this is hard to explain. And it's sloppy writing: they could have simply had Dany leave for the wall out of concern for Jon, meet Gendry there and then continue northwards to save the guys.
They also could've brought their own ravens. Gendry who had never been north of the wall being able to navigate his way back to the castle after presumably hours of walking is ludicrous. In terrain like that it is far easier to get lost then go the correct way. Plus running a long distance in freezing weather is not a walk in the park.

#1,657 ·
Cersei needs to go ASAP. Should have been dead by now. Don't care about her storyline at all anymore.

#1,659 ·
Danaerys has so much plot armor and most of interesting political characters are dead, that yes, they should wrap up and finish this show in 2 episodes instead of balancing things through the 13 episodes in the last two seasons. In the KL regard, there's no suspense since last year's finale.

#1,663 ·
You do hate Dany, dont you? Disappointing. :sad:

Anyway the one who has plot armor in this season is Jon Snow, and say Tormund, and yes freaking Cersei and Jamie who should both be dead by now.

Daenerys has no plot armor, she has her dragons and Dothrakis and Unsullied which she all acquired based on her own skills and merit, as Missandei said. When was plot armor used on her? Never so far.

#1,661 ·
I miss Ramsay.

#1,666 ·
I don't want dubious unpredictability, it was me who said they'd "balance it for the sake of the plot". Not like I was wanting it, just predicting. It doesn't have climax anymore because it's obvious Cersei is the last obstacle before The Others and that she will have to go and they're just dragging it for a long time with no reason.

For as long as there was Olenna, Margaery, Tommen, Uncle Kevan, High Sparrow in KL last season, there was some real tension with uncertain result. They were evenly matched. And the finale was very well made and believable (and surprising, like GoT should), although my favourite character died there.

I prefer human villains to the supernatural villains. I prefer human powers to superhero powers. I'd prefer Cersei to be super strong with her army and tricks, and Dany having her Dothraki, Unsullied, the North's alliance (to avenge the Starks), and Tyrion's tricks. What can I do about this. And such scenario could be really wrapped in 1-2 episodes after last season's finale, because the result is known, so let's just give us some good dialogue and scenes and let's begone with it.

#1,670 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.