Mens Tennis Forums banner

Indian Wells R2: [20] Cuevas def. Nieminen, 4-6 7-5 6-0 (Nieminen led 6-4 5-3)

1K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  Chris Kuerten 
#1 · (Edited)
This match wasn't streamed, so I'm not sure if Nieminen got injured at 6-4 5-3 or not. But Cuevas reeled off 10 straight games to book his place in the 3R vs the winner of the Lopez/Roger-Vasselin match.

#5 ·
Re: Indian Wells R2: (20)Pablo Cuevas def. Jarkko Nieminen 4-6 7-5 6-0

:sad: another third set bagel. At least Cuevas is better than Olivo...

#6 ·
Re: Indian Wells R2: (20)Pablo Cuevas def. Jarkko Nieminen 4-6 7-5 6-0

i meant mentally of course. you wont be so well when losing a match from 64 *53 like that

#9 ·
Cuevas can play well on a slow hard-court, to be honest. He beat Roddick at Miami in 2011, and should have beaten Simon in the match after that one. :)

However, I guess he's not in good enough form yet to repeat a win of that magnitude, but he'll have a chance in the next match. It's nice to see him crush Nieminen in the decider as well. :D

#14 · (Edited)
I don't think we know what form he is in. He has had a back injury since Rio. I would back him to possibly beat Feli on clay but I don't know about HC.

There has been a lot of coverage of Federer, Nadal and Murray moaning about Davis Cup. IMHO the seeds have nothing to gripe about they had nearly a week to recover.

However Pablo was one of the few (if not the only) seeded player to play on all three days. His DC tie was on clay. He said he would have prefered to play Acapulco to prepare for IW but played Buenos Aires to remain on clay in preparation for DC.

If he had lost in R2 I wouldn't have used DC as an excuse but he travelled to IW on Monday night and would not have practiced on HC until Wednesday. The quick turn around may explain his slow start. If you look at the stats he improved with each set.

#18 · (Edited)
As I understand it. He woke up with back pain on the day he played Nadal and would have withdrawn if it wasn't the biggest match of his life. It may explain what happened in the third set. He wasn't moving properly in Buenos Aires IMHO. In the DC press conference he said he was fine but wasn't. I have friends who were there and he had the trainer several times during the match with Gonzalez including a spell off court in the locker room.

The next day he was less bad but actually said that his brother controlled the match for quite a long period. His brother is ranked 419 for singles and 253 for doubles. They have won 2 challengers together but his performance was incredible. I felt sorry for him. Before the tie people thought that he needed to win one of his singles matches or they needed to win the doubles. In the end it wasn't good enough.

#20 ·
Just wait until Gil's new backhand settles in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.