Mens Tennis Forums banner

Best chance?

What year was Federer's best chance to beat Nadal at Roland Garros?

8K views 129 replies 78 participants last post by  Cloren 
#1 ·
Perhaps the biggest blot on Federer's resume is his RG record vs. Nadal. Had the Swiss won RG while beating Nadal en route, well it is tough to say he is not undisputed GOAT.

But since he didn't, what was his best chance?

Roger Federer is 0-5 vs. Nadal at RG. And I can't even tell you how many problems have been found.

2005 RG Sf- After they split the first two sets, fed had a break lead in the 3rd and the 4th, but Nadal was too strong. This maybe was his best chance, as Nadal had not yet owned him mentally at this point, and hadn't won his first RG yet either. Only thing is, even if he beat Nadal, would he have beaten Puerta?

2006 RG F- this was possibly his best chance seeing as he was on fire after that 6-1 first set, and it was Roger's peak year.

2007 RG F- again this was maybe rogers best chance, but he was like 1/17 bp in the match. let that number sink in. but he had many many chances.

2008 RG F- well not even i can make a case for this one, this is the troll option

2011 RG F- this was roger's best chance perhaps. nadal low on confidence after losing to djokovic, playing very average in 2011, and the bad balls and weather, roger had that sp in the first, but just missed that shot. had chances in all 4 sets.

See less See more
#81 ·
2005. If he would have won here there would be much less of a rivalry.
2009. I know they hadn't met.
No! Nadal has heart of a champion, that's something you cannot expect to stop beating after a loss.

#83 ·

#86 ·
Now that is a bold statement. However, Nadal is the weakest I've ever seen him. Losing to a low ranked player to start the year, losing to Fauxnini on Clay, losing to his pigeon in a Grand Slam with a bagel set lost, and losing 5+ games to his grand pigeon Monaco in a clay final.

However, as well, Federer is a shadow of his former self. And he doesn't even believe he can beat Nadal anymore, or at least he doesn't care anymore. That being said, Fed would have to sweep the clay season for me to genuinely believe he can beat Nadal on clay again. Fed hasn't won a clay title in 3 years. That alone makes it too unbelievable.

OT: His best chances were 2005, 2011, 2007 in those orders. 2005, Nadal was in his first RG and Federer was already multiple GS winner at that point. Nadal wasn't in Fed's head yet and Federer was younger. Back then he had a very good chance.
2007, the BP conversion of 1/17 makes me want to vomit. I can't even begin to describe the chokefest that was that match.
2011. I say it so much, but Fed should have beaten Nadal. He literally broke Nadal in every set and Nadal was 0-40 on his serve at the start of the 4th set. Had Federer been aggressive and not wasted those important points he would have beaten him. It angers me so much that match.

Fed's ship has sailed for RG sadly. As much as I love Fed, he was lucky that Nadal lost. I wouldn't be able to handle another chokefest. Now that he won RG, he has no desire anymore. Wimbledon is his main desire because he actually believes he can win there. I just don't see much fight in him on clay. However, this is tennis and anything can happen.

#87 ·
2015 could be his last chance to complete DCGS but I don't deny any possibility of him winning after.

GOAT can do anything.

#88 ·
He would have done it in 2011 if Nadal hadn't have pulled his usual strategic MTO shit in the first set. The scared Dull fans rejoicing cos Federer beat Djoker was the funniest thing ever. But he still needed to cheat to win.

#105 ·
Just like the 9 times he has won the whole thing no? Nadal is the most dominant player on a surface.. playing at 2008 level he just would destroy anyone in history in straight sets.. Federer at wimenbledon is nothing in comparison.. just a great player.. but a mere mortal compared to nadal at RG.

And no.. Nadal came from his worst version during RG 2014 and still took Djokovic in 4...

In 2011 the gap was even higher between Nole and Rafa.. thus rafa would Have crushed him in the Final...

#93 ·
Funny how Peak Federer never took it to 5 sets. And only 2 TB and he lost.

I dont think there is anythinh humanly possible for Federer to beat Rafa in RG. It just doesnt.

Thats why i say to fedtarts all the time, be gratefulll for Knee tendinitis and Soderling or else there would be no career slam for Federer.
He can beat anyone in RG. But never Rafa.

#116 ·
Thats why i say to fedtarts all the time, be gratefulll for Knee tendinitis and Soderling or else there would be no career slam for Federer.
He can beat anyone in RG. But never Rafa.
Hahahahaha.

If the umpires didn't bend over backwards for Rafa and bend rules for him, he'd never have 14 slams.
No mono Fed = no Wimbledon in 2008
No slow courts and balls conducive to long rallies = fewer slams still.

Shall we go back and forth?

Two can play this game.

#95 ·
2015 RG MITB match after Nadal beats Djokovic in a 5 hour epic, Fed cashes in and takes it 2-6; 1-6; 7-5; 7-5; 7-5.

#99 ·
He could have won all of them but Nadal's gamesmanship was too much.

#109 ·

#117 ·
Does anyone else find it sad that despite the endless list of achievements the most rabid Fedtards always cling on to what would/could/should happen and instead of actually embracing what did happen they're reduced to cartoon characters endlessly arguing supposedly factual data that never occured nor can ever be verified in any way, shape or form.

Haven't we been through this before? In a virtual world of these worshippers Federer always wins and Nadal always loses. Not even necessarily against Federer but Nadal ALWAYS loses. Always. Against all past champions on all surfaces whereas Federer would without a shred of a doubt dominate from Fred Perry to Rod Laver and everything in between, before and after. It's a fact. Everyone knows it. :)

#122 ·
Does anyone else find it sad that despite the endless list of achievements the most rabid Fedtards always cling on to what would/could/should happen and instead of actually embracing what did happen they're reduced to cartoon characters endlessly arguing supposedly factual data that never occured nor can ever be verified in any way, shape or form.
Coming from a fanbase whose only argument for Dull being the GOAT is a fraudulent H2H acquired through a combination of endless luck, disgusting cheating, bullying and gamesmanship :superlol:

#118 ·
Yes, Federer fans have to cling on to what could/would/should happen....I mean it's not like he's the most successful male tennis player of all time by a fair margin.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.